Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread as we started today on our Mendocino coastal meet, hosted by Lil Don SLK and Stinger. Participants from SacVal, NorCal, SoCal and Oregon even.

July 19th:

At the Orange County waypoint before the roughly 400 mile north to San Carlos, CA (left to right: Durkatlon, PWSLK, etyu, mbpaul)

Historical vehicle parked near us at the OrCo waypoint. It has been updated with LED headlamps! LOL

At lunch break in Lost Hills, CA:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At shaded parking area of Fairfield Inn, San Carlos, CA: Paul and Durk discussing which 3M double sided is best for the rear spoiler. I am not telling what the guys did immediately after checking-in :D

Lounge and breakfast area where we wait for Stinger's arrival:

Behold!!! A white 2LOOK R171 shows up:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shameless plug for a pewter pre-facelift R171 SLK55, at street parking area of old town San Carlos, as we leisurely drive the 1.8 miles to dinner:

Dinner at an Italian place as recommended by Stinger:

Inside Spasso, (left to right): mbpaul, Stinger and Durkatlon

Jan and Peter (PWSLK) on the left, Paul on the right. Sorry about cutting you in half Stinger :D

This is a better photo compared to the one immediately above.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Pinot Noir from Oregon was so good, Stinger ordered a second bottle. Peter and Jan will sleep very well tonight :D I do hope they wake up in time for breakfast tomorrow :biglaugh:

Signature dish at Spasso: walnut crusted pork chop cooked to perfect tenderness, on a bed of steamed spinach, baked sweet yams and special sauce on the meat. It was super delicious!!!

Paella:

Peter had Seafood linguini:

Durk had Veal Cannelloni:

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,918 Posts
First ever attempt to post pix from my phone. Most of my pictures are on my actual camera so those will have to wait until I'm back.

At the Santa Rosa meet-up

Scenic coastal shots

Current view from the hotel

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some photos from today:

One can tell by the way the SLK is parked that the owner is probably an SLKWorld member :biglaugh:

Some views of the Pacific coast, taken from Sea Ranch Lodge where the group had lunch.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some more from Sea Ranch Lodge:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunset photo taken from Cliff House restaurant in Fort Bragg, CA

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was very nice to meet you, Eddy. I had a great time meeting everyone!

-K
It was great to meet you too and your daughter, and everyone else from NorCal, SacVal. It was also a great treat to see Dave and Janie from Oregon. We reminisced the days of the Las Vegas retreat.

Hope other members will post their photos and comments.

SacVal now has Don and John as resource persons for the SmartTop:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,823 Posts
Great photos and glad you all had a great time!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More photos from today

View from patio (2nd floor) at Beachcomber Motel

Different angles and perspective of the same row of trees:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A rainbow of colors for rental bikes at Beachcomber Motel

Some local flowers in bloom, notice the driftwood bench in the background

More flowers in bloom

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Four vehicles went from the west coast eastward on the A20 highway. Upon reaching 101, each went their separate ways: Dave and Janie (from Oregon) went north on the 101, PWSLK (Peter and Jan) went south on the 101, MbPaul went back westward, and etyu (Eddy and Alicia) proceeded eastward on the A20 towards highway 5.

A great weekend to remember:tu: Many thanks to everyone!!!

Below is a photo of Clear Lake taken at a brief stop on the A20 eastward

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Great Pics ! Love seeing SLKWorld folks getting together and having a great time ! :tu:

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Truly a memorable week-end. Both Ginger and I enjoyed meeting with everyone. And much to my surprise, Ginger is really looking forward to seeing everyone again at the next event! It just goes to show you, after 34 years of marriage you think you know you're partner well. My bad for trying to second guess on whether or not she would enjoy this!

Because of this forum and our common love of the SLK, even those I had never met seemed like long time friends. The scenery was breathtaking, the weather was beautiful (on the way home the temperatures varied from 100º in Willits, to 58º through San Francisco and many temperature points inbetween). We had lots of laughs along the way, the comments from on-lookers was always fun, and needless to say though it's long over due, I will be starting that diet today!

There were so many "good photographers" that were taking pictures. So, not to be redundant I will refrain from sharing most of mine. But yesterday on the way home, Ginger and I pit-stopped at what became one of the highlights of the trip for us!

In 1971 when our daughter was 2 years old, along with her first husband who is now deceased, her husband was in the Coast Guard where he was stationed at the Point Cabrillo Light House in Fort Bragg. Together, they all lived there during his one year assignment. During this time, there were three Guards with their families living at the light house. Each guard performed an 8 hour shift logging Zulu times and events, whilst maintaining the facility. Come to find out, this was the last year that the light house was "manned" as technology made it possible to operate the light house remotely via electrical technology.

Today, the light house remains functional and is a California Historic Land Mark and State Park. The grounds are run, operated and being restored by volunteers in the preservation of the Cabrillo Station. The Light House was built in 1909 to protect logging ships that sailed the region from California's rocky shores. The living quarters still remain, along with the storage buildings which are still under restoration. We met some State Park Attendants while there who graciously opened up the house that my wife and daughter lived in, allowing us to look around and share her memories! Although pretty much gutted and under restoration, Ginger knew every nook and cranny of the quaint, two story cottage.

Although we are still fairly young and only in our late 50's, it was strange (but fun) learning that she was a part of this great state's history. Here are the pictures of the Point Cabrillo Light House that I took.

A picture showing the residence quarters and the light house on the cliffs

This sign was in front of the cottage that they lived in:

Ginger walking in front of the cottage where she once lived:

Another shot of the cottage:

And now a few pics. of the actual light house. One picture complements of Google Images found on the web.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts