Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,973 Posts
This is not a one off. Had a mate receive a speeding ticket through the post, turned out his BMW was getting serviced at the time. I try to wait about whilst Mabel gets serviced so that I can keep an eye on her. :smile:

Reactions: Avel Du

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,862 Posts
May have to look at footage again but its not that he done 100mph or overtook at huge speed or redlined the car or ......

Wheel spun it handbrake turned etc

Yes he went over the limits etc . 30 40 or ....

But were all guilty of that at times .

Getting money out thats a no no .

If it was caught on camera speeding at high speeds every where say 70 then 100 .

Then yes a very serious offence at mercedes .

But sometimes you have to drive a car a little quick to find some faults or hesitation on pick up or .....

There maybe more to this story ?

But is there more footage to this video ?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,760 Posts
Hi All

I say get a dashcam fitted that works all the time even if engine turned off & always check the footage after services. I had to ring up after a service & ask if they always test drive the car after service after watching my car being driven by the 'tech' before they washed the car.

Cheers

Andy

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,866 Posts
May have to look at footage again but its not that he done 100mph or overtook at huge speed or redlined the car or ......

Wheel spun it handbrake turned etc

Yes he went over the limits etc . 30 40 or ....

But were all guilty of that at times .

Getting money out thats a no no .

If it was caught on camera speeding at high speeds every where say 70 then 100 .

Then yes a very serious offence at mercedes .

But sometimes you have to drive a car a little quick to find some faults or hesitation on pick up or .....

There maybe more to this story ?

But is there more footage to this video ?
Doesn't matter.
If he is not officially driving it then IT IS NOT INSURED!
Not insured means impounded and you have the hassle and cost of getting it back.
You might see that money again and you might not (they'll be unemployed and no money).

Imagine if it is involved in an incident?
Legal, money and time consuming nightmare.

How would he like it if I did similar?

I have bricks in the garden that are for a wall.

I'm more than happy to 'test drive' two of them in any sensitive part of his body if he does that to my car.>:D

I get the temptation, Green eyed looks at several cars on Saturday. A blue, or is it black, one in particular.
I doubt if any of the guys would be happy for me to just jump in and drive them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow... What I found more shocking is that Sytner Mercedes actually refused to service his car! What World do we live on in the UK???
What we don't know here is what the guy said to Sytner's in order to get a a service refusal at all dealerships. The story is incomplete....shame the BBC didn't broadcast it all. They must have asked him what he had said to receive the email!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,760 Posts
Hi All
I think the guy let the cat out of the bag by giving the footage to the BBC & showing the dealership in a very bad light . How many more times has this sort of thing happen up & down the UK & the people were given a refund & that was the end of the matter. The dealerships thing we have more money then sense. I'm setting my dashcam up so I can track it over the Internet .

Cheers

Andy

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,862 Posts
Doesn't matter.
If he is not officially driving it then IT IS NOT INSURED!
Not insured means impounded and you have the hassle and cost of getting it back.
You might see that money again and you might not (they'll be unemployed and no money).

Imagine if it is involved in an incident?
Legal, money and time consuming nightmare.

How would he like it if I did similar?

I have bricks in the garden that are for a wall.

I'm more than happy to 'test drive' two of them in any sensitive part of his body if he does that to my car.>:D

I get the temptation, Green eyed looks at several cars on Saturday. A blue, or is it black, one in particular.
I doubt if any of the guys would be happy for me to just jump in and drive them.

Dont know all the story but if what i believe the mechanic took the car out for road test before or after service to say for example replicate a fault !?

He will be covered under the mercedes car trade insurance policy all mechanics would be.
While they are working there .

If they have taken it for a spin / fun ride thats wrong .
But to test drive thats fine but the speeding bit well hard one is it to see that it pulls away fine and to check its performs well ok

But you gonna pick up speed doing that .
But if its thrashed then diff matter .

As i said dont know the whole story .........

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,866 Posts
Dont know all the story but if what i believe the mechanic took the car out for road test before or after service to say for example replicate a fault !?

He will be covered under the mercedes car trade insurance policy all mechanics would be.
While they are working there .

If they have taken it for a spin / fun ride thats wrong .
But to test drive thats fine but the speeding bit well hard one is it to see that it pulls away fine and to check its performs well ok

But you gonna pick up speed doing that .
But if its thrashed then diff matter .

As i said dont know the whole story .........

They were replacing a wheel sensor which doesn't require a road test.
One of the incidents of speeding was 58 mph in a 40 mph zone.
It was a mech and apprentice in the car.

Technically a case of taking without consent. The owner decided not to report it to police.

I agree that the whole story will never come out, but it's interesting that there is no denial by the garage.

The basics come down to either:

The systems in place at the garage are not adequate, or

He knowingly took it.

Both leave egg on the garage. They hint that the owner made unreasonable demands (having offered a £1500 gagging payment).
He's had several cars off them, has servicing done by them.

The ban looks to be because he's gone public, because if his claims were false they seem to be the type to pursue legal action.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,862 Posts
They were replacing a wheel sensor which doesn't require a road test.
One of the incidents of speeding was 58 mph in a 40 mph zone.
It was a mech and apprentice in the car.

Technically a case of taking without consent. The owner decided not to report it to police.

I agree that the whole story will never come out, but it's interesting that there is no denial by the garage.

The basics come down to either:

The systems in place at the garage are not adequate, or

He knowingly took it.

Both leave egg on the garage. They hint that the owner made unreasonable demands (having offered a £1500 gagging payment).
He's had several cars off them, has servicing done by them.

The ban looks to be because he's gone public, because if his claims were false they seem to be the type to pursue legal action.

Lets just for now take the wheel sensor fault road test .
Id expect a road test as to make sure .

1 the fault does not come back on
2 they have diagnosed the fault correct
3 the correct component has been changed and the correct side .
4 after road test diagnostics connected to make sure the troubelsome code has not flagged up .
5 job booked out as satisffied .
6 and most people would say after work has been carried out are you sure the light has not come back on and you did road test car right !
Not just around the small block .

But the speeding well you can debate some of that .
As i said theres always two sides to a story .

Has the mechanic been sacked ?
Or a telling off ?

Just saying on some faults with cars they have to driving aggressively to flag up a fault .

If there driving at 25 -30 well you will be going to another garage pretty soon to tell them it has to be driving a little faster to see / hear the fault etc .

But why did he not take the money ?

Was he still not happy about something else ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What we don't know here is what the guy said to Sytner's in order to get a a service refusal at all dealerships. The story is incomplete....shame the BBC didn't broadcast it all. They must have asked him what he had said to receive the email!
I am sure along the line the customer has tried his luck to get more from Sytner. But that don't justify why he is being banned from servicing his car. Clearly is 2 separate thing.

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
I would speculate that he told the dealership he had the film and asked for a lot of money not to sell his side of the story, the dealership made him an offer WHY?(£1500, TOTALLY wrongly in my opinion, they should have said "publish and be damned"). it didn't meet his demands so he sold his story, such as it is to The Sun.....who knows what they paid him?
As for the test drive I would have thought it was necessary, he took the apprentice with him, can't see anything wrong with that, he went to the cash point.....that could be a no no as may not be covered by dealership insurance for test drives but I bet plenty of test drives involve "popping in for sandwiches" etc. etc. At one time nobody would have batted an eye but in today's litigious society where everyone is eager to take offence and human rights lawyers are queuing at your door.......and of course....today people live their lives via video uploads on Facebook......
As for the speeding that is illegal. Tho how he thinks he will lose his license and his livelihood as a chauffeur as a result I have no idea.
The Sytners employee has been sacked as a result I think? So a bad day at Black Rock for him and his family.

Banning him from Sytners for servicing seems a petty knee jerk response, but it makes you wonder what went on behind the scenes?

I think Sytners have let themselves down unfortunately, perhaps earlier involvement of PR/lawyers from HQ would have been prudent. I remember Frank Sytner setting up his BMW dealership in the East Midlands in the seventies, they are now huge, surely they can't have got this that wrong?

Of course I write from a biased point of view.... We have used Sytners MB Bristol for five years and three cars, both services and MoTs, I have always had excellent service and have found all the staff from the service assistants to the Dealership Principal helpful, friendly and polite and willing to go out of their way to assist.

Of course there is the possibility that maybe the complainant is just a chancer.

Just my two penneth worth....we'll see what comes out as I'm sure there will be further repercussions yet!

TonyS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.