Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a early summer road trip in the new ML to the MBUSI factory in Tuscaloosa Alabama...then on to Orange Beach on the Alabama coast.

Any comments on the factory tour or museum experience would be appreciated.

Also, any suggestions about things to do/places to dine at Orange Beach would be great! Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
You should have a great time. The effects of the hurricane should be all gone now. Nice big Florida style beaches.

One word of warning. Be careful of your speed on Hwy 59 South to the beach. Several small towns with limited sources of revenue. I've donated more money than I would have liked to Loxley and others by being in a hurry at the end of a long trip.

I have heard that the Flora-Bama Lounge is an interesting place. Kind of a hole-in -the-wall bar experience. I've never been so you're at your own risk. If you get to Mobile the Causeway has plenty of fried fish joints, and NoJa's is a good high end restaurant downtown.

Make sure that you give a reportout on the factory tour.

Enjoy,
Gene

·
Registered 2012 SLK 350
166 Posts
Be advised the museum is open every day but they only give factory tours on certain days, think it is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You will enjoy it, really fascinating. As for Orange beach it is a beautiful place, might want to google VRBO in Orange beach and get a good deal on a condo rental.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, the Flora-Bama is an interesting joint, right on the beach- check it out, it's legendary. Also don't miss Lulu's place (that's Jimmy Buffet's sister) near there as well.

Taco Casa in Tuscaloosa is some stellar mexican fast food if you like that- several locations. DePalma's downtown is really nice casual Italian, good food, good vibe.

I grew up in Tuscaloosa, but never made it through the plant. I have several old friends who work there and love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts