Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Wouldn't Garmin or one of the other well know GPS manufacturers have been a better choice? Apple?

D

·
0 Posts
I would be very surprised if they where to move away from Harman/Becker for the hardware side of things but since the software is current Windows CE it would certainly be possible to replace that with an Apple offering without difficulty.

If you would actually notice the difference of course is another matter.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Dan,
As far as i know, the becker software is a Qnx OS based, very far from CE.

Also, it is no so obvious for a company to enter as an automotive supplier, even for Apple. Therefore i doubt that apple will provide a complete system.

However, it is possible that next generation of becker system may integrates new technologies, like 3D pictures/photos, which can be provided by apple + google. In this sense, becker will intergate apple techno.

D

·
0 Posts
I will have to dig out the data but i am 90% from memory it is CE the majority of the control modules in the car are running it not just the COMAND.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hmmmmm ! May i bet : A free new sl55 amg ?:)

CE try to enters into the automotive world, but without success until now. Only retail products (or japanese navigation systems are CE based system).
Another point is that QNX is a company owned by Harmann becker.

i talk only on navigation system. Not on the black box connected on the most ring.

i will have also to dig ....

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Whomever they sign with in the future, I hope it's on par with the Japanese NAV systems, I'm embarrassed to use mine compared to the ones that comes with honda's and lexus.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Whomever they sign with in the future, I hope it's on par with the Japanese NAV systems, I'm embarrassed to use mine compared to the ones that comes with honda's and lexus.
I have never seen a Japanese one. Why are they so much better?

Thanks

P

D

·
0 Posts
Hmmmmm ! May i bet : A free new sl55 amg ?:)

CE try to enters into the automotive world, but without success until now. Only retail products (or japanese navigation systems are CE based system).
Another point is that QNX is a company owned by Harmann becker.

i talk only on navigation system. Not on the black box connected on the most ring.

i will have also to dig ....
Just the navi processor you mean then mate or are you talking about the headunit.

Its not only Harman that makes these units remember Siemens produces them also

OK mate having a quick look got the page for the S class loaded on the machine at the moment its running Microsoft Windows CE Automotive 4.2 as of its latest software release the new C class is also running the same, the older S that used COMAND 2.0 does not show what it runs maybe that could be the OS you mentioned?

Just as a side note this version of CE is also running on -

All iDrive BMW's
Volvo's from 02 onwards
Mitsubishi's and Subaru's again from 02
Toyota G-BOOK cars
Aston Martin AMV8 DB9 and Vanquish
Fiat and Alfa

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I have never seen a Japanese one. Why are they so much better?

Thanks

P
Touch screen, much easier to use, constant update of software, the MB one I have is two years old w/o an update. Bird's eye view, traffic updates and alternative routes, voice recognition, the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apple seems to have touch screen figured out. The demos of Google maps on the iPhone show realtime traffic conditions seem to do a good job visually with location searches including sat. view.

I personally haven't had a need to search for locations via car based nav (i use google maps via my SE phone). Maybe that will change after I get the 55.

Google maps plus their street view imagery would rock in a car no matter who delivered it!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:WOW, some cutting edge technology on the horizon. I don't care who provides it, just make it available.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just the navi processor you mean then mate or are you talking about the headunit.

Its not only Harman that makes these units remember Siemens produces them also

OK mate having a quick look got the page for the S class loaded on the machine at the moment its running Microsoft Windows CE Automotive 4.2 as of its latest software release the new C class is also running the same, the older S that used COMAND 2.0 does not show what it runs maybe that could be the OS you mentioned?

Just as a side note this version of CE is also running on -

All iDrive BMW's
Volvo's from 02 onwards
Mitsubishi's and Subaru's again from 02
Toyota G-BOOK cars
Aston Martin AMV8 DB9 and Vanquish
Fiat and Alfa
Wow !!!
i will discuss with my maketing guys.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Touch screen, much easier to use, constant update of software, the MB one I have is two years old w/o an update. Bird's eye view, traffic updates and alternative routes, voice recognition, the list goes on and on.
"Constant update of software" is because it is running Windows!!!!

Plus, I defy anyone to try and use the Lexus nav while driving. You can't.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts

Better than no updates, according to my NAV, I'm going off-road 50% of the time.

Same can be said with the MB ones, at least you can still put in a number, with mine, it gives you a range. :confused:

D

·
0 Posts

I think Ynot was going for mapping updates rather than the system software mate.

MB don't seem to be very good with getting the updates out with actual new map data on them.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I think Ynot was going for mapping updates rather than the system software mate.

MB don't seem to be very good with getting the updates out with actual new map data on them.
Yes, the mapping stinks, I'm off-roading half the time on nicely paved tarmac.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
I find not being able to find the street address the biggest pain with the MB nav (but not the only pain compared to my Sienna nav).

I tried to go to a place and I think the addresses ran 0 - 1000. When I selected that range, it took me south when it should have taken me north and was off by a LONG way. Luckily I sort of knew where I was going.

The Toyota street address is amazingly accurate. I think it uses wheel rotation and direction to interpolate street addresses. But I would say it is probably accurate to within 50 to 100 feet max.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.