Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,220 Posts
The first three of those will need a Dell D630 laptop to complete the job. These are now older laptops but readily available for under $100 to around $200. I'd budget for the higher end and get a refurbished one with a new battery. For choice get a laptop with as much RAM as you can (4GB if possible) and as fast a CPU as possible (2.4GHz or 2.5GHz). Avoid the slower ones.

They're great laptops for their age - and should be pretty robust (magnesium shell, if I recall).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdell+d630.TRS1&_nkw=dell+d630&_sacat=0

The last one has a toughened laptop with it that seems to have added $800 to the price. That seems steep to me but in a workshop that may be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,669 Posts
Any of those that are supplied with the system on a hard disk will need marrying to a laptop of the same type and configuration as was used in the original build. Without that detail you may end up with a very expensive brick in your hands. Be wary.

Far safer to buy a working system, ie complete with a PC/laptop etc.

Reactions: Bahdabing

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Plus you'll need to use the supplied utilities (they are normally supplied anyway!!) the put in new hardware keys after a change of laptop ....

Win XP is generally ok when it's on slightly different hardware and will try to install the required drivers...

Keep it of the internet of you can, and check for virus's - some of them are riddled....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also note, that Xentry generally speaking is "time bombed" (DAS is not).
If, by a double-click start on Xentry nothing happens, try setting date back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for helping me get sorted. Now I have a good idea on what to look for. I really appreciate you guys helping out the newbie!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ordered my setup. I think I did ok price wise.

The laptop:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D630-14-1-Intel-Core-2-Duo-2-50GHz-2-5GHz-4GB-RAM-500GB-HD-Win-7/282706830685?hash=item41d2a3e55d:g:73cAAOSwqgRZrsO4&autorefresh=true

I got him to take $100 for the laptop. I let him keep the HDD in it.

The rest of the kit. Looks like I got the last one with HDD included. It was $599

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MB-STAR-C4-SD-Connect-Full-Set-w-Cables-2017-07-Software-HDD-FREE-SHIPPING/282609518679?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=581792256476&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

So $700 for everything shipped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any of those that are supplied with the system on a hard disk will need marrying to a laptop of the same type and configuration as was used in the original build. Without that detail you may end up with a very expensive brick in your hands. Be wary.

Far safer to buy a working system, ie complete with a PC/laptop etc.
So I already got the lap top and I get the rest of the kit today. In fact, as soon as I get the delivery notification I'm going to leave work so I can play with it...the MB star diagnostic tool that is. Ahead of time I told them the specs on the laptop and they said it would be configured for it. What is meant by 'marrying' to a laptop? What are the steps involved? Do I need to have a second hard drive; one with the laptop boot software and one with the software for the MB star tool? I'm watching some video's on YouTube on how to use the system, are there any suggested sites you feel I should see?

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,220 Posts
If I read the eBay adverts correctly then you just need to put the hard disk in the laptop and power up. The following video should help. Make sure you have the hard disk caddy!!

Reactions: Bahdabing

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is meant by 'marrying' to a laptop? What are the steps involved? Do I need to have a second hard drive; one with the laptop boot software and one with the software for the MB star tool?
For star software, a laptop has "hardware id" and "LAN address", which are based on Ethernet MAC addresses. Star's component software needs license keys generated for these.

Usually one hollers for help or uses key generating software.

Hardware ID stuff can be avoided by using a virtual machine, which can remain on one MAC address regardless of hardware used. If virtual machine player asks whether you "moved or copied", tell it you moved. That'll keep the IDs.

It's not advisable to use the star setup for other work; additional drive or partition would be beneficial if one runs a real machine (and not a VM).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sooo, after a week of frustrations I finally got my kit working. Oh man what a pain that was mostly because of not knowing what I was doing. Crappy part too was I promised my wife I'd clean the garage today. I was trying to get the SDC working, had the car on (not started), and she comes out and gives me the death stare. Unfortunately I forgot to turn the key off and several hours later after I was able to mess around again, the car was dead as a door nail. I hooked it up to the battery charger on the 4 amp setting and continued to tinker and got it to work. I ran the diagnostic test (with low battery on car) and got a ton of faults and some !. I copied the report, but I really have no idea what to think of the report. Is there something in the program that tells you what to check or look at? I'm attaching the report here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,879 Posts
For an accurate reading, you need a fully charged battery.
A flat battery will give you lots of errors.
Charge your battery, clear all the faults, drive the car, reset steering wheel sensor and the scan again and see what codes are in, stored or current.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ran the diagnostic test (with low battery on car) and got a ton of faults and some !. I copied the report, but I really have no idea what to think of the report.
As you can see, the only fault code "active" - and not just stored - is due to low voltage.

Stored faults will remain stored indefinitely, until erased. If none of the codes have been erased for a long period of time, it'd be prudent to record the log (which you did), rectify problems (low voltage in this case), erase all codes and see which ones would reappear later.

Canbus cars do record even intermittent communication problems as stored faults, even though nothing else is on brink, except a temporary communication problem.

I've seen a lot worse on cars that haven't had their (stored) codes erased for 200 000 km.

This doesn't mean that stored codes would be worthless and of no use. Sometimes a fault is intermittent, so nailing it down after an occurence puts a lot of value on stored codes.

It's a matter of expectation. One doing this for the first time probably might expect a clean tally, without any stored codes?

Congratulations of jumping the first hurdle and getting that SOB working! The next hurdle: trying to decide what's what, what to make of it and the final one: what can one change without f..ing the car up >:D
Alterations with DAS or Xentry on developer key provides ample possibilities for this, and Vediamo gives the ultimate palette to brick a car.
It'd be good to take screenshots on before change -situation (in case of needing to go back on changes) and not clicking "Initial startup" unless really knowing beforehand how that'd be done.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you guys for all your help. It amazes me how much knowledge you guys have with these cars.

So there's one thing I forgot to mention, but it looks like you guys saw it. I actually did a race the codes before running the diagnostic tool. I figured it would have given me a better picture of what was wrong. Guess I was wrong. LOL. So I'm out driving it right now and then later today I will pull the log again and see what it shows me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since stored codes have no date- or timestamps on when they were stored, you probably didn't lose a lot, provided there's not a known fault you're trying to hunt down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.