Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Merc history lesson and request for help and a favor from you guys living in the EU and GB. Enjoy!

For nearly 40 years MB had available a unique lubricating paste called Silikonpaste. This stuff was closely guarded knowledge that only the MB techs were aware of. When a new car came in with a customer complaining of annoying rattles, interior squeaks, general noises from metal parts, door panels, strikers & pins, door seals, and seats, basically any annoying noises, "use the paste". It worked so well on everything, some started calling it "Wunderpaste."

Shout out to gerryvz, site honcho over at the Merc forum 500eboard for calling it to my attention. They're a bunch of fanatics over there and swear by it.

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9552

Apparently from a post about it by Klink, a lurking Merc tech over there, the original use was due to one specific job. Some kind of production variation issue on the new '79-'80 w126 cars caused a wicked creak in the front end at high ambient/bodywork temperatures when you drove over large slow road displacements like speed bumps.

Silikonepaste was specifically formulated to fix this. Techs removed the upper control arms, popped out the rubber bushings, then liberally lubricated the flanges on the bushings and the control arms where the bushings contacted the control arms with it, and then put the bushings back into the control arms with an additional super thin plastic shim that rested between the contact flanges of the bushings and the control arms. The rest after that is history. The stuff just started getting used on about everything else creaking because it provided slip with long term stamina. And I have to guess that's why they kept using it for so long. It also may have been the intended assembly lubrication for the inside of swaybar bushings, and things like that.

Silikonepaste was available as 000-989-84-51 at $72 for 3.5 oz. A small price to pay to ride in silence.

That's right, was available. Sadly it was discontinued about a year ago with no replacement. Trust me, I've tried to source it from Merc and it's unobtanium.

Well, someone had to make this stuff for Merc. So after finagling the TDS sheet on it away from my local stealership, turns out the mystery jiz was actually a simple mixture of Silicone oil and Lithium soap (which is a fancy way of saying white Lithium grease). With that hurdle past, I found two products with the same contents, same light brown color, and a high chance of being the MB supplier.

The first is Calsil Grease 55. It's marketed by a company in The Netherlands called Caldic BV under their Calsil brand. Caldic develops, manufactures, and distributes customer-specific formulations and solutions for chemical and food markets. The TDS shows it contains Polysiloxane methylphenyl fluid (silicone oil) with lithium soap, so that matches Merc's TDS product composition description of a mixture of silicone oil and lithium soap. However the Calsil brand was launched by Caldic in 2013. That's not to say they weren't manufacturing it before this under the Calsil brand, it's just something to throw a curve at the research. Caldic itself has been around since 1970.

The other is something called Bluesil GRS 55. It's from Elkem Silicones, a company out of Norway, now owned by BlueStar Silicones (ChemChina). They have manufacturing locations all over Europe. Elkem has been around for a very, very long time (over 100 years), and is one of the foremost fully integrated silicone manufactures in the world. Another perfect match for a company like Merc to work with.

Both of these appear (based on the similarities of each of the products TDS sheets) to be the same or very very close to the same as the Merc 989 product (shown as pictured below).

Problem is neither the Calsil 55 or the Bluesil 55 are sold in the states in quantities short of aerospace application quantities (read 55 gallon drums). But in the EU, it's a different story.

Yes I know, there are lot's of greases out there. I've tried a few things that are available stateside with success, but only short-term limited success. Since the blend of Silikonepaste has proven to be so versatile and last for so long, you can tell I want to find it's replacement. Especially considering the creaks and groans we deal with on our SLK's. So here's the request.

Any members across the pond care to see if they can source either of the above products that are available in tubes and small jars, then send it over to me here in Florida for testing and comparison by both myself and gerryvz? Happy to help with the costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sneaky Pete,

I signed up on the dealers site you posted the link for and messaged them to confirm availability of the Merc 989 number. Most of the stateside dealers show it on their websites too, but ultimately once pressed, say they don't have it in stock and can't order it from Germany either.

In case it's available from Merc over on your side (and a dealer will ship it over), that's sure a fall back. Given how well it works, I'd still pay the 100+ euros it would take to get that little 3.5 oz bottle of Silikonpaste over here. Its not like it is a huge consumable so it would be on my work shelf for quite a while.

On the other hand, spending to secure some of the the Bluesil & Elkem products and attempting to replace Merc as the supplier is really the path I'm on.

That's why the request for help get some of those products over here. My thought is it makes more sense (and in the long run far less costly) to find it's manufacturing source and get a case or two of it. With any luck, one of the US distributors would pay attention to case quantity requests and either stock it or at minimum have it available for order.

That way it's a little easier and less costly to source.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Okay.
Just got an email from the local dealer here and indeed, they too confirmed it's not available/orderable anymore.
I'll ask around for the Calsil/Bluesil stuff then. See is that's available in a small bottle.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well with GM cars, the techs used to take a caulking gun loaded with some goop and shoot it anyplace they saw a gap. Particularly good where the body panels had big gaps!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I Googled it and found an office of the supplier with an email, hit that and got a reply as below...........I'll ask for a price and options around internet orders in small quantities
===========================================================================================================

Thank you for your enquiry.
We can deliver in UK our Calsil Grease 55 in 100 gr. Tubes. Product is currently available in our warehouse in France.
How many tubes do you need ?

Cordialement / Best regards,

Michel GOALEC

CALDIC FRANCE

Division Spécialités
Immeuble le Tropical
Avenue des Nations
18 place des Nympheas
C.S. 90005 Villepinte
95926 Roissy CDG Cedex
Telephone +33149393545 (desk) / +33149393500 (main)
Fax +33149393544 (main)
Mobile +33661358442
Email [email protected]
Internet Caldic | Your Global Distributor in Chemicals, Pharma & Food | Caldic
Villepinte

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well with GM cars, the techs used to take a caulking gun loaded with some goop and shoot it anyplace they saw a gap. Particularly good where the body panels had big gaps!
That's GM for ya...

Sounds like Demostar found the Bluesil. That only leaves the Calsil.

Anyone care to manage boxing a tube of each and have the stuff shipped to Florida in a single box. I will pay for the stuff, have both shipped to you, and cover the freight to get it stateside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's GM for ya...

Sounds like Demostar found the Bluesil. That only leaves the Calsil.

Anyone care to manage boxing a tube of each and have the stuff shipped to Florida in a single box. I will pay for the stuff, have both shipped to you, and cover the freight to get it stateside.
How does the line below translate to “finding the bluesil”?:surprise::surprise:
I’m confused
—————————————————————————
We can deliver in UK our Calsil Grease 55 in 100 gr. Tubes.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Ehhh,no.
As I read it desmostar has sourced Calsil manufactured by Caldic.
What still needs to be sourced is the other alternative you mentioned,Bluesil manufactured by Elkem.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One things for sure buddy, anyone trying to please you will need plenty of it
Has your google broken?
desmostar, I absolutely appreciate that you opened the line of communication with Calsil, but I'm really not sure what you meant in your last post.

If your asking if I've run a google search for the Merc product, I have and it shows available all over the web. Problem is (as bjorn & Sneaky Pete found) no dealer has yet actually been able to source it from Merc. I started this search because a handful of other folks here stateside tried and couldn't get it either.

Or, if your asking if I've searched for the other two products, I've done that too. As you, I've also found the smaller quantity tubes on several EU located web sites.

The reason for the thread is I was hoping to work with someone on your side willing find a reasonably nearby source for the Bluesil & Calsil, accept delivery, and also open to re-post the product to me in a single box (this stuff isn't cheap by the way, it could easily cost 40 - 50 euro each 100g tube). I would pay for the purchase as well as pay for the mail post to get it stateside. This to avoid paying the extra crazy air freight amounts (read more than an additional 75 - 85 euro per package) each of the suppliers want to get their little tubes of grease over here for a sample test.

OK agreed, it is asking a lot of someone. But the result would be, presuming my taking the $$ risk proves one of the products is a match, we both would have a more permanent solution for our annoying SLK creaks and groans. And it could be shared with the folks here on SLKW, not to mention the kind 500eboard members with their 25 - 35 year old E's & C's and early G-wagen's would also be blessed to know there's a replacement for the wunderpaste too.

I hope that better explains what I'm looking to put together and motivation. Would you care to jump in and help out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts