Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants a sedan instead of our SUV. Any of you folks with MB sedans have one that you would recommend that is relatively trouble free? If the Sedan AMG's are anything like mine, that is definitely a thought. Newer one is not in my wheelhouse $$$!. Prefer older models without so much electronics.

Come on folks....give me a hint! Particularly if there is one NOT to buy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I was looking at my SLK, drooling is more like it, wife said "OK, you can buy it IF she was gifted with a new sedan". So we went to the nearest MB dealer & she picked out a lease return 2016 C300. Trouble free in the first 2 years & 24,000 miles. Gets mileage of 34 hwy. , 28 city. Very comfortable on long trips. Only complaint I have is it has no spare tire, & run flat tires. Back seat big enough for a 95 lb. dog who thinks the car is hers. Working on that.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The C class is a good option as they have made it for years (models W203, W204, W205) with many different versions ranging from four cylinder to the AMG snorting 6.2L V8. If a later C is too pricey and you are interested in an AMG, look at the W211 E class E55 AMG with the bullet proof M113 engine. Those are now ten+ years old and have much less electronic issues to go wrong as compared to newer models. Careful shopping and you will have youself a well maintained, under 100K mile, nice, comfortable sedan.

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
Added C200 estate to replace SUV (Nissan Murano).
Happy so far.

Got the estate for carrying in laws and luggage.

I'd suggest the bigger engine.
We just use it as a competent tourer.
I'd think the saloon variant worth a look.

For UK etc
Sedan
an enclosed chair for conveying one person, carried between horizontal poles by two porters. (north of Watford)
or
a car having a closed body and a closed boot separated from the part in which the driver and passengers sit; a saloon. (south of Watford)

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has been looking at S classes.....of course, I am finishing them interesting in the 550 and AMG line. They are sure proud of those AMG's though. Appreciate the wisdom, keeping it coming. Haven't even looked at C class...yet.🙂

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
She has been looking at S classes.....of course, I am finishing them interesting in the 550 and AMG line. They are sure proud of those AMG's though. Appreciate the wisdom, keeping it coming. Haven't even looked at C class...yet.🙂
She may also be interested in the CL. It is built on the S class platform, but is a bit more sleek with two doors, no B pillar, and a shorter overall length. And, of course, there are AMG models. But, with the 5.5L I think most if not all are with the M273 engine. This engine is in the same family as the M272 - so prevalent here with the R171 platform, that had the early balance shaft issue. The M273 doesn't have a balance shaft but it does have the same idler gear at that location and that gear also didn't always get the proper heat treatment. At least to do the repair does not require the engine to be pulled. Like the M272 the M273 was resolved of the problem around MY 2008-2009 (check engine serial number for confirmation).

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
You didn't provide a price range, but if she is looking in the S-class direction, then I can recommend one that I believe should be in your list...

2016 C450 AMG

This car has it all, speed, power, reliability, AWD, class, and its an AMG... Made only in MY2016, you can find low milers (<30K miles) in the mid-$30K range. Search nationwide.... A very fine car I am interested in buying to replace the spouse's 535xi when that goes south...

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips. Still looking. Perhaps it will help if I explain its use. My sweet wife drives very little. This is a vehicle that will be driven sporadically. Replacing an '08 HyLander Hybrid with only 86k. Driven only to doctor appointments, hair appointments, and to the beach (600 mikes round trip). Want something big and comfortable ride. I found a long wheel base 1997 MB in FL with only 87k, pricey of course, but it is a 320. May be short on power.

I am MB challenged except for the 32's and 55 AMG's . So which of the 2007 - 2013 MB 4 door sedans are LWB?

I need more advice I am afraid!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. Still looking. Perhaps it will help if I explain its use. My sweet wife drives very little. This is a vehicle that will be driven sporadically. Replacing an '08 HyLander Hybrid with only 86k. Driven only to doctor appointments, hair appointments, and to the beach (600 mikes round trip). Want something big and comfortable ride. I found a long wheel base 1997 MB in FL with only 87k, pricey of course, but it is a 320. May be short on power.

I am MB challenged except for the 32's and 55 AMG's . So which of the 2007 - 2013 MB 4 door sedans are LWB?

I need more advice I am afraid!
I guess it depends on what you consider Long? The S Class is the biggest and longest platform. The E Class is the next longest. Both the S and E Class have AMG models with higher output V8 power plants. I mentioned the E Class in the my post #3 .

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Is she set on a sedan or is she willing to consider a GLK/C? My Lady traded her 2008 Ford Fusion for a 2013 GLK 350. She loves it. Very comfortable ride, handy size, very maneuverable and fast. Same engine as my SLK 350. The GLK is like driving a car with many of the conveniences of a SUV.

Something to consider.

I had a loaner 2019 C300 for a few days. We both drove it and and thought 'if we wish to get a sedan, the C300 is definitively a contender.' That car is a bit of luxury.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
Is she set on a sedan or is she willing to consider a GLK/C? My Lady traded her 2008 Ford Fusion for a 2013 GLK 350. She loves it. Very comfortable ride, handy size, very maneuverable and fast. Same engine as my SLK 350. The GLK is like driving a car with many of the conveniences of a SUV.
We have a '13 GLK 350 and you summed it all up! It was the fastest SUV manufactured for that year! It's a fun little thing!

Our son has a '13 C 250 Coupe with the AMG package. He gets 22 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. Check out the sedans, you will be pleased!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
We have had a GLK for many years now. Very happy with it. TUV (association of German companies conducting security checks) has awarded GLK as the most reliable SUV. We are very pleased with our both for small-scale driving and long trips. Have driven Norway to southern Spain round trip with it (about 10,000 km in 3 weeks). Absolutely faultless and very comfortable :wink:
If there is a slightly longer sedan you are considering, then CLS is a nice 4 door coupe. Based on the E class, but got a higher standard than a ordinary E class, and it looks stylish (of course a matter of taste) :grin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting closer. S63 and while it has the power, We have noticed almost all S class sedans have some type of problem with the leather on seats, console etc. The AMG does not seem to have that problem. Guess the seats may have sold us 😉😏😉😏😉😏😉😁
An additional question on engines M113 a 5.5 or 6.2. Which is rock hard!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I owned a European grey market 500SE (W126) for 33 years. I think it's a modern classic. However, for reliability and long-term durability, nothing beats the W123 Diesel. Either car will last forever if protected from salted roads.

My wife had a W210 station wagon (estate car) until recently. It lacked the charm of the W123 Diesel but was far quicker than even the Turbodiesel. It was the best driving experience I have ever had in a vehicle with six seats. Or -- fold the rear seats down and carry absolutely everything. Reliability was not wonderful. Still, it lasted 16 years

Of the newer cars, the dealer gave me a new E 350 as a loaner while they were doing the airbag recall and a tire change on my SLK55 AMG. It was quite magical the way it wafted along, surrounded by all manner of futuristic automation, Unfortunately, AMGs are addictive and the performance was disappointing. MB seems to have realized this, and there is an AMG E 53s and AMG E 63s. I think I'd like either.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Getting closer. S63 and while it has the power, We have noticed almost all S class sedans have some type of problem with the leather on seats, console etc. The AMG does not seem to have that problem. Guess the seats may have sold us 😉😏😉😏😉😏😉😁
An additional question on engines M113 a 5.5 or 6.2. Which is rock hard!
To answer in a single word it would be the M113. To explain, the earlier 6.2L M156 had a poor head bolt design that can cause it to break off from the stress. They also had some issues with the valve lifters damaging the camshafts. By MY 2011 that had been resolved with upgraded parts.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final post, unless She changes her mind to a Cadillac, Oh, No! Our selection is 2011 S63 AMG - 5.5 L.

Any thoughts on the car or the dealership?

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Final post, unless She changes her mind to a Cadillac, Oh, No! Our selection is 2011 S63 AMG - 5.5 L.

Any thoughts on the car or the dealership?
Unless I missed it, you didn't mention any specific dealer in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
10,998 Posts
Wait a minute....wait for it.You Are One!!!!!!

Dallas Auto Center.
Anyone who sees this and wishes to comment, they will/should PM you. Solves any possible issues. Public posts regarding that will be assimilated :tu:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts