Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a very low milage slk. car fax showed two owners. MB did most of the service work. Only noted trans serviced twice and rear differential cover resealed. 2nd owner had extended warranty. saw MB did not keep the low milage car at trade in and instead sent off to auction. Is this a warning sign that the car may have problems?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Not really - MB tends to keep cars that MBUSA Finance leases, rather than trade in's as CPO cars.

I'd be a bit more worried about a low mileage car with transmission issues, though - were you able to get any details about the work done?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really - MB tends to keep cars that MBUSA Finance leases, rather than trade in's as CPO cars.

I'd be a bit more worried about a low mileage car with transmission issues, though - were you able to get any details about the work done?
No, only the limited info on carfax. Car fax only shows trans serviced. car has only 26k milage for a 02

Seen another one, with less that 15k milage for an 02 that a BMW sent to auction. You would think they would try to do a quick sale and if that did not go over, then dump it. Low milage advertised slk should generate some foot traffic this time of year.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
I was looking at a very low milage slk. car fax showed two owners. MB did most of the service work. Only noted trans serviced twice and rear differential cover resealed. 2nd owner had extended warranty. saw MB did not keep the low milage car at trade in and instead sent off to auction. Is this a warning sign that the car may have problems?

I see you said it was an 02. My dealer will only keep cars that they can CPO. Due to age they can not CPO a 2002, so it's off to auction. This due to the fact they can not give you a CPO warranty. There are services done based on years in use and not mileage. The trans service might fall in this schedule based on years in service. There is nothing work just because a car is sold at auctions. Dealer had it a long time on his lot and then sends it ti auction just to clean it used car lot. There are many reasons that it was send to auction beyond the cars condition itself.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
^^ What he said - MB rarely keeps cars unless they can "value add" by CPO'ing them - or at least that's the case with the dealers down south.

They will usually keep a trade-in on their lot until the next auction, then shift it off if they haven't sold it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ What he said - MB rarely keeps cars unless they can "value add" by CPO'ing them - or at least that's the case with the dealers down south.

They will usually keep a trade-in on their lot until the next auction, then shift it off if they haven't sold it.
You guys maybe correct on this, but being a lazy sunday I strolled over to inspect the cars up close and personal...Yikes! I will post in the
AMG section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.