Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,052 Posts
I think he found those rims at Walmart or got the idea from the the red awnings in the photos. I would call that hooker red! Lol

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I find it very strange. People mod their cars, so they stand out, and are different to stock, but, if you don't mod it in exactly the same way as everybody else who mods their cars, then it looks odd?? How does that work??? I actually like the fact that the wheels look different. Might do mine green yet!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
large mods to the exterior such as paint color or rims tend to hurt the resale value, as only a select number of people will find those mods acceptable. People driving common cars such as civics tend to modify cars in outrageous ways because they're trying to differentiate themselves from the million other civics out there and personalize their car. With cars like the slk55, there's far less "need" for crazy mods such as huge wings, stickers, colored rims, fartcan exhaust, etc.

As to this car, to me, the matte black looks good. colored rims, not so good. Hard to match colored rims to the car in an aesthetically pleasing manner. And it does look odd... Probably the only color type that wouldn't look too odd on a black car is black rims with metallic outline on the rim. If the car was colored, you could use a similar color outline instead on the rim- red/yellow/etc. A straight colored rim tends to be too overbearing, espeically if it doesn't match the car color.

these were the results of a quick google search. something like this.

Personally, I dislike most aftermarket rims, probably because they tend to be too flashy for me. But to each his/her own. Just too bad he didn't keep the stock rims and install aftermarket. That way, at least he could give any new owner the option of returning to stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Before you judge his taste, this is a 2011 GT3 stock color scheme ... not custom

If you don't want the red, you have to delete it when you order.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Someone who is not afraid to use the cupholder!
:biglaugh:Great reply!

While some mods might not be for everyone, everyone is free to agree or disagree. However, imagine if this guy was a member on our forum. We could be respectful while still voicing our opinion.
:confused:Thanks for the pic. Did you leave a SLKWorld.com card? Everyone is free to express themselves with individual tastes. This is as close to "defacing" a SLK that I've seen. Takes a classy Mercedes first, SLK 55 second, and makes it a joke on (red) wheels.
Before you judge his taste, this is a 2011 GT3 stock color scheme ... not custom

If you don't want the red, you have to delete it when you order.
:tu:100% class.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's why I like this forum. Everyone respects each others responses regardless to whether or not they like or dislike a members car. :)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I think the matte black looks fine but the red wheels is a bit much for me. I do like the Porsche GT3RS, those color combo just looks natural.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I guess I'd have to see it in person, it's just not to my tastes. When Louise and I were on our last road trip down to see the shuttle launch, we met a GT3 owner with the exact car above, and it really did look "over the top" for my taste, but delivered quite well. It's more about the styling queues that go along with it for me - there were orange/red bits all over the GT3, whereas this SLK is just the wheels...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also think the red wheels on the SLK are maybe a bit too "orange" (especially in the first two pictures above). It might look better if they were a shade darker or more "red", IMO.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:eek:fftopic:SLK350WDC, congratulations on the C350. Any pics? Had you previously announced the sale of your SLK350?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I guess I'll have to do that, Don. I'll upload some pics tonight when I get home from work.

I did not post it for sale as I got a great deal all around. It was so easy and seemless, I took the offer that the dealership gave me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.