Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but believe me I have looked and looked and googled and queried other sites, and my brain cannot take anymore. I've asked my dealer and they don't seem interested/don't really know.... I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, or likely to be the last, and there seems to be so many possible variations depending on model, NTG version, COMAND Head Unit firmware version, NAVI firmware version, NAV DVD version blah blah blah.

And of course, if you get it wrong, you apparently brick your COMAND. Nice.

So the situation is:

I have a 2005 SLK55 on NTG1.
I have a COMAND Head Unit firmware version of 15/04 (old).
I do not know the NAVI firmware version, but the SAT NAV DVD is Europe version 4.1 (must be 10 years out of date).

I am looking to upgrade my maps with a genuine Europe version 14.0 (A211 827 45 65) for NTG1.

The question is:

Will my COMAND recognise DVD version 14.0 of the maps (after NAVI firmware update from the version 14 DVD) without upgrading the HU firmware to 30/06?

I have attempted to download COMAND HU firmware 30/06 from Daimler AG - Service & Parts net, but I only have one file burned to CD-R when the site says I should have seven, so I'm not putting that in my Headunit!

If anyone has any opinion/experience on this little gem, it would be greatly appreciated so that I may add it to my own.

Thanks for looking.
Neil.

·
Registered 2013 SL63
556 Posts
I faced the same dilemma when updating my old 350 and ended up taking the car to my local MB dealer. They charged me for half an hour labour although the whole process took most of the afternoon. According to the technician I spoke to, the update requires a direct hook-up to MB in Germany and covers all modules on the car, not just Comand. They also leave the engine running during the update so make sure you've got a full tank!
Once you've updated the firmware, you can then go ahead and load up the latest map software.
Russ

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,915 Posts
Going from V4 to v14 is a big step. If I remember correctly the safest way is to do a upgrade to V7 first and then go to V14. There were some firmware updates for the navi unit in the trunk with V7 that when skipped could cause the DVD drive in the navi unit trying to read beyond the physical limit of the DVD when trying to upgrade to V8 and above. Again, if my memory serves me right.
Regarding updating the HU firmware, you are correect that you only get 1 zip file, when you unzip that you get a file w171589032200_iso.gid-4ff1c423eb56f1796a8a56b083ca5f68.iso
This is an image file, you have to burn that to a CD with a program like ImgBurn. After you did that you should see a number of files when you browse the CD. Should work, I did the same thing on my old SLK280.
Hope this helps.

Edit:
Here's some more info http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1558180-comand-aps-ntg1-11-0-2010-a.html
With every mapupdate there is also a firmware upgrade for the navi processor. meaning that if you skip sebveral updates it could be possible that your nav unit doesn't recognize the new map DVD. As you can read in the thread there is a special nav service disk that incorpoartes the missing firmware updates. So best way is to update with that disk first and then go to V14. Unfortunately I believe this disk is only available at the dealer.

·
2,915 Posts
What improvements are made with newer firmware? Or is it just to read newer maps ?
Don't know. My guess is the coding of the newer maps may be different, hence the need for different nav processor firmware, so they can be read.

·
2,915 Posts
Well, they could be right.
Just dug up my old DVD that came with my old 280. Happens to be a V6 DVD. And I know for a fact that I upgraded from that V6 to V11 without any problem. So yes, it looks like an upgrade from pre-V7 to V9 and beyond goes fine. But I can't guarantee that, just giving you my own experience.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally managed to get the COMAND HU update from Daimler AG - Service & Parts net to load as 7 files onto a CD-R instead of just the one. I had to use different software in the end, and slowed the image copy down to the slowest burn rate.

One point that may be worth mentioning is that during the verification, erase and load of the firmware, I received the message "CAN-T - Load Bootloader". This does not mean "can't load bootloader", and after a while it carried on installing. It would have been easy to think the update had failed and turned the ignition off!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,625 Posts
Map Update

Would I be correct in thinking that if I took my car into a MB dealer for a service that they would update the Maps etc at a reduced rate?

·
Registered 2005 SLK55
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never had a definitive answer from the dealer. The only information I was given was that not all interim Europe maps between 4.1 and 14.0 would be needed, just some. I was passed from pillar to post talking to customer support and then the dealer to understand the cost and what versions were required, but then it all went quiet. I was never under the impression they knew what they were doing....

·
2,915 Posts
I finally managed to get the COMAND HU update from Daimler AG - Service & Parts net to load as 7 files onto a CD-R instead of just the one. I had to use different software in the end, and slowed the image copy down to the slowest burn rate.

One point that may be worth mentioning is that during the verification, erase and load of the firmware, I received the message "CAN-T - Load Bootloader". This does not mean "can't load bootloader", and after a while it carried on installing. It would have been easy to think the update had failed and turned the ignition off!
Wow, that is scary! It's a good thing you thought before you acted. The update for the HU probably also needed some firmware updates on other devices on the CAN-bus so it's loading the bootloader for this purpose. Indeed, imagine you misinterpreted the message and switched of everything right in the middle of a firmware update of the HU and who knows what more. You could have bricked up a lot more than just the HU. Good thing you mention it here.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Success!

After leaving everything alone for a few days after the COMAND HU Firmware update, I've noticed that:

The COMAND start-up is faster
As expected, I have ETA, distance, and phone signal strength available on the MAP screen.
My audio volume default seems to have adjusted to a lower level, so that I don't need to turn down the volume everytime I get in the car!

I'd decided that I didn't need engineering mode or VIM.....

I have now updated directly from version 4.1 to version 14.0 of the maps.

After inserting the DVD into the NAVI unit, I then had the update display on the HU whereby it was updating the NAVI firmware. The progress bars showed as the top bar half way complete, and the bottom one a quarter of the way complete. This stayed like this for quite a while no movement no sign of progress. Heart in mouth, being patient.

Finally, the screen just went blank :surprise:, then after a few seconds rebooted, and restarted.

Everything appears to have updated. I now have more recent maps, loads of POI's and TMC now works!. TMC only started working after update of the NAVI using v14.0 maps.

Hope this may help others wishing to do the same/similar.

·
2,915 Posts
. The progress bars showed as the top bar half way complete, and the bottom one a quarter of the way complete. This stayed like this for quite a while no movement no sign of progress. Heart in mouth, being patient.

I know the feeling, mine did exactly the same when going from V6 to V11. My heart skipped a beat too............
Glad everything worked out fine for you.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
48 Posts
Guys,

When you go to newer maps, does it just give you the missing roads, or does the display/graphics look better ?

Cheers

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.