Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered looking for 2015 SLK55
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted their SLK 55 to 6 speedway manual transmission? Where, how, reprogramming engine module?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
https://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
First, the merc 6-speed has terrible ratios, really a granny first and a regular 5-speed after that. It is annoying (I usually start in 2nd) with a 3.2 I have trouble picturing it with a V8.

Second am not sure if easier to start with an V8 automagic ECU and remove the tranny parts or start with a six speed ECU and program for a V8. Either would need someone who knows how (am thinking about a KESS V2, anyone ever used one ?)

The mechanical swap itself I suspect is the easiest part but the reprogramming would be non-trivial. Does a .bin exist ?

·
Registered 2004 SLK55 Kleemann K2
156 Posts
Everything can be done for sure. It's only matter of time and money. But in reality it is long order. Like Padgett sayd mechanical bolting stuff is easy but then you have to deal with electrical side. Keep in mind that these cars use can gateway communication and all alter all.

You can use some aftermarket ECU to run engine but never seen one that can run 8 twinspark cylinders. And ether way you will lose all ESP, ABS, BAS, Cruise, ic info screen stuff all the way. I think best bet is to somehow fabricate a controller that mimiks the autogearbox. If you are building a race car or something, ok then you can rip all out and start from bare metal shell.

I don't want to sound rude but this is a question that have been asked several times during decades in all forums and yet none have come up with real solution. Actually can't recall anyone how has even tryed. Tavarish @ YouTube has a SL55 and he actually posted a video long time ago that he will be doing a manual swap but haven't seen any updates on that topic.

I remember 10 years ago when I was into Mustangs and was browsing svtperformance.com forum daily and one question popped up once in a while... How to do a all wheel drive Cobra Mustang. This is like same thing.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,294 Posts
Our very own @Turdo2 has stuff a Merc V8 into his R170 and then has converted it to a manual trans. Did it in a weekend - or maybe a bit more.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,438 Posts
Assuming he's talking about his 2015 SLK, I do not believe there is a manual transmission that would bolt into that.

I know for our older cars, the M112 and M113 can bolt to the 6 speed and you can trick the ECU into thinking your just in Neutral. When I'm done doing the business to my car, It will also have a 3.08 final drive (from the CLK55) and then the ratios will be much better.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Well the contemporary Jeep wrangler with Pentastar (M276) was available with the 6 speed, worst case might have to use a Tremec. Am sure any of the shows on Velocity could knock one out in a few days. Suspect could do it in my garage.

ps have a 2.87 inna box.

pps still looking for a 2000 or earlier SLK230 with a manual trans. Thought there was one in Lakeland but never materialized.

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
3 Posts
I’m working on this manual gear box conversion on my 55 AMG R171. ECU programmation is done and tested all hardware and adaptation is also done. I will open a subject with details and pictures next month after test ride...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,166 Posts
I’m working on this manual gear box conversion on my 55 AMG R171. ECU programmation is done and tested all hardware and adaptation is also done. I will open a subject with details and pictures next month after test ride...
I would suggest you start a new thread when you do. You can include a link to this thread but it would be best to start anew.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230-sold
15,261 Posts
Padgett check out the auction on Bat it is still live you ask we deliver.:D:D

This 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 Kompressor is finished in Amber Red Metallic over a black leather interior and shows just under 33k miles. Power comes from a supercharged and intercooled 2.3L inline-four paired to a five-speed manual gearbox, and the car came factory-equipped with the AMG Styling Package, heated seats, carbon fiber trim, and more. It spent time in California and Virginia before being acquired by the selling dealer in Ohio last year. This SLK230 is now offered at no reserve with factory books and manuals, a clean Carfax report, and a clean Ohio title.

No Reserve: 33k-Mile 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 5-Speed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts