Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got the 6 speed manual transmission? Mines very stiff moving up from 1st to 2nd, and down from 3rd to 2nd.

Have read changing gearbox oil might help? Going to be about £60 to do that at the local MB indy, thought i'd check before potentially throwing money in the wrong direction

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Mine is a little balky when cold but very good once warmed up a bit. Have you checked the oil level ?
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the transmission fill plug.
3. The full fluid level should be at the base of the fill plug threaded hole. If the fluid is low, check for visible transmission fluid leaks and top off the fluid level.
4. Install and tighten the fill plug (1) to 50 N·m (37 ft.lbs.).
5. Lower the vehicle.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
301 Posts
I found a change to redline MTL helped. IIRC Mercedes recommend a reduced fill volume of 1.2L rather than 1.5L to help with this.
I also found bleeding the clutch helps.
Mark

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
309 Posts
I short filled mine with redline , when I had a 230 6 speed , and to be completely honest it didn't make a great deal of difference .

·
Registered
303 Posts
You’re not alone with a second gear problem. Mine is very crunchy 1-2 though 3-2 is ok. I changed the oil for Fuchs Titan fully synth. Every gear change was improved but 1-2 still crunchy unless you ‘ease’ it in. Unless I’m on a hill I usually start in 2. This avoids the issue for me.
I think MB manual boxes are a punishment for not buying an auto!
Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,748 Posts
You’re not alone with a second gear problem. Mine is very crunchy 1-2 though 3-2 is ok. I changed the oil for Fuchs Titan fully synth. Every gear change was improved but 1-2 still crunchy unless you ‘ease’ it in. Unless I’m on a hill I usually start in 2. This avoids the issue for me.
I think MB manual boxes are a punishment for not buying an auto!
Cheers Neil

Did you try the fix in post 3?

·
Registered 2001 SLK230K
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for this. Is this something sent out from MB head office to dealers? I had read about the 300ml reduction 'unofficially', but this is the first I've seen of some sort of official documentation.

I will look into what the current oil level is. Could well have been done already as the previous owner always had the MB dealership look after it.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts

Thanks for this. Is this something sent out from MB head office to dealers? I had read about the 300ml reduction 'unofficially', but this is the first I've seen of some sort of official documentation.

I will look into what the current oil level is. Could well have been done already as the previous owner always had the MB dealership look after it.
That looks like a screengrab from the Mercedes-Benz WIS (Workshop Information System)... available to UK MB-Club members, along with access to EPC (Electronic parts catalogue) - also available elsewhere in the world, but different commercial arrangements may apply. :D

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Note: original poster has a 230 and probably needs first. Since I have a 3.2 I usually start in second (2.62:1). For me first gear has few uses:
- going up the side of a wall
- in malls or parades
- stating on a hill
- being antisocial (however a really fast 1-2 near redline is ga-run-teed to trigger the traction control even on a Florida shell road (fractal). OTOH I consider the TC to be essential when it rains.
- teaching someone how to use a clutch (almost impossible to stall).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I’ve got a 200k and 1st isn’t very useful.
One possible use you missed out is checking that the traction control is working
Neil

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts
On my previous car everyone used RedLine also and it is quite good. One of the guys had tried Neo RHD and liked it well, so I tried it also. It is really great stuff, much better than even the RedLine. If you are going to change fluid, I would use that. It isn't cheap, but much cheaper than a trans. The real issue is probably that your synchronizers in your trans are worn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.