Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...
I have manual seats in my car and want electric seats....

Can this be done using my existing seats and adding the hardware from a wrecked SLK? (hurts just to type that!:( )

I have not seen where the seat controls are placed in the SLK's that have electric seats, so I may have to figure a unique place to locate the controls.

If the controls are located on the side of the seat... then there should be no problem.

Am I investigating something that cannot be done?

What do you think?

D

·
0 Posts
It is possible but not practical.

About 90% of what your going to need is not installed in your car, the most difficult bit will be the wiring harness it will require the interior to be gutted to install it.

The only thing i can think of is an aftermarket type setup maybe an OEM seat base and motors and a simple form of controls that should only require 12V to operate but still a big job.

Hope this helps a bit

Dan

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought the motors and wiring would have been under the seats and just need a power source. Do you think they require connection to the computer and all?

Thought I could just change my seats to the base of the electric unit seat base. Just my simple minded thinking. :tu:

Thanks.
SLKman

D

·
0 Posts
Hi mate,

The manual seats have no motors or anything like that pre-installed they are purely mechanical, to add OEM seats to the factory standard requires more the just power sorry mate they communicate on the network and have to interface with many other on-board systems to actually work.

Like i said if you want an OEM look but are prepared to do the electrics in an aftermarket fashion and there is nothing wrong with that option at all then you could just source and OEM electric seat base and power the motors by a switch to position the seat but the auto stop would not work so you would have to be careful when adjusting them.

Hope this helps
Dan

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Guess I will have to suffer with these old do it yourself seats! LOL:biglaugh:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently picked up a 2001 SLK230 with manual seats. There's nothing in the owner's manual that describes the manual seat I have...it only talks about the power seats.

So, I got the slide forward/backward thing figured out. :) But, there is a small handle on the door-side of each seat that I can't figure out what it does. I assume it has something to do with the seat height or lumbar or something like that, but when I move the handle nothing happens. Any ideas?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is my question,

I have manual seats, but I really wouldn't understand the point of wanting power seats in a slk 230 or 320....I am only 5'9. There is not much room to go back and forth or up and down...do you really need power seats in this car?

·
Registered
604 Posts
i was surfing the r170 foto section on some of the other sites and saw some amazing seats that were aftermarket. massive lumbar and back supports awesome color combos maybe you just need more support rather than electrics! :}

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi, and welcome
Guess it has to do with the hight adjustment.
On mine I have to be a bit "brutal". The lifting springs/mechanism is so strong that I have to use all my 90 kgs to press the seat down....:biglaugh:
Thanks...I guess I'll just try pushing harder then. :)

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Thanks...I guess I'll just try pushing harder then. :)
Yeah, you have to actually be in the seat and push with your legs to get the seat to lower. My wife has a heck of a time with her 125 lbs. I usually have to do it for her after cleaning the interior.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the problem I'm finding now is that the seat doesn't stay where I put it... the next tim I go to sit in the seat I tend to find it's raised itself back up again. I wonder if there's a way to adjust the tension of the mechanism without having to take the entire seat out?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Maybe installing aftermarket seats are the way to go. Keep your originals and you can change them back if you sell the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have to adjust my seats away from the public eye otherwise there'd be a chance I'd be arrested for obscene behaviour.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.