Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My R170 SLK 200 came with a welded diff. Its doing my head in on the road so i want to change it out.

I found this post http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/23031-r170-differential-ring-gear-ratios.html which gives this info:

MB Technical department advise me that the final drive ratio for a R170 SLK230 Kompressor with automatic transmission is 3.27.

The final drive ratio for an 230 SLK with manual transmission is 3.46.

The SLK 200 has a ratio of 3.91 for both manual and automatic transmissions.

Do all the diffs fit any R170 , just ratios diffferent?

At the moment i can only find a manual 230k diff. Will this fit and how will the ratios change the car. Less acceleration and more top end from what i understand. Main thing at the mo is it fits so i no longer have to struggle with the welded diff on the road.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The manual ratio is a little lower gear(higher numerically.). This will give you better aceleration, but a little higher engine speed on the highway. If you don't do much highway droving for long periods it should serve you well, but the speedometer will not read correctly. The diff WILL fit your car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The manual ratio is a little lower gear(higher numerically.). This will give you better aceleration, but a little higher engine speed on the highway. If you don't do much highway droving for long periods it should serve you well, but the speedometer will not read correctly. The diff WILL fit your car.

Hope this helps.
Thanks mate. Will the speedo over or under read? Any way of correcting this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also wouldn't I be losing acceleration not gaining.

The Std SLK 200 ratio manual and auto is the same 3.91

So I will be going from 3.91 to 3.46 (manual 230 SLK ratio)

So this will give me more top end but less acceleration I thought?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are correct. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying your car had a 3.27.

Going from a 3.91 to a 3.46 will indeed offer poorer aceleration and your speedometer will read a faster speed than the car is actually traveling.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying your car had a 3.27.

Going from a 3.91 to a 3.46 will indeed offer poorer aceleration and your speedometer will read a faster speed than the car is actually traveling.

Sorry for the confusion.

My fault

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right my mate who runs www.MercTechnix.co.uk (little plug for him ) is changing the diff over for me today. Seems the driveshafts are different between my 2002 R170 200 SLK and the 98 R170 230 SLK diff im trying to fit . He is trying to look for a solution at the moment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it fitted in the end. Car feels much better on the road with a normal diff. Also the 230k diff ive fitted feels better as i thought first gear was a bit to short before and now its about right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.