Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying to lower my convertible top one day, it got stuck, so I decided to try again later that same day and I blew some of the hydraulic hoses to the cylinders controlling this, so I attempted to manually lower the top over the weekend and pulled the tabs in the trunk to release the hood to fold in the top. After not being able to lower the top (for other reasons I learned about today) I tried to close the trunk, as I was starting to drive off, I hear the dinging of the car to tell me something isn't closed. I get out and check the trunk, it's not latched, I try multiple times to close the trunk and have it latch, but nothing will work. These are the forward latches that activate for the convertible top, I switch back to my daily driver and come in today and seek help from a coworker who introduced me to this site. We took the paneling off the right side of the trunk to expose the latch, we can get it to activate when pushed on by an Allan Key, but when we close the trunk, it does not connect and will not latch.

I know that is a lot of description, but I want to make sure all information is available.

Please any ideas or help would be awesome.

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,439 Posts
Remove both side Trunk Liners, make sure the Pump Emergency Valve is released then firmly pull upwards on the very bottom of the 2 Trunk Rams to relieve the tension on the 2 Latch release Cables, you will now be able to latch the Trunk down by hand ;)

Do not attempt to open it again until it is fixed it ;)

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gents, unfortunately the manual doesn’t tell you this and I only saw the post someone did last month on this topic after I posted mine.

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fix the hydraulic leaks before you proceed.
@efair Can you point me in the direction of the instructions on how to accomplish this, my goal is to get a whole new set of hydraulics from Top Hydraulics, but I don't have the $1,600 for the set at the moment and a quick fix would be great.

Thank you,

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,011 Posts
Well - first off - what exactly is leaking? You said a hose blew out? Where are you seeing/hearing leakage?

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Hood Tire

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

This is of the passenger side just below the rear deck... I don't know exactly which hose blew or even if it was the hose, I just know that my reservoir is now empty

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230
268 Posts
@efair Can you point me in the direction of the instructions on how to accomplish this, my goal is to get a whole new set of hydraulics from Top Hydraulics, but I don't have the $1,600 for the set at the moment and a quick fix would be great.

Thank you,
You can remove all 5 hydraulic cylinders and send them to Top Hydraulics and have them rebuilt and returned to you for $425. This process worked perfectly for me.

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can remove all 5 hydraulic cylinders and send them to Top Hydraulics and have them rebuilt and returned to you for $425. This process worked perfectly for me.
I like that idea, but since the entire system is now over 20 years old, I was thinking about getting the new motor to go with the cylinders, and honestly I'd rather remove and install on the same day, so the process is fresh in my memory (1:1 swap out)

I could send the whole thing to them for $850, do you remember what the turn around time was?

·
*Premium Member
6,011 Posts
So you have one leaking roof cylinder and you lost all your fluid... and you're going to exchange all five cylinders and the pump?

I don't have detailed instructions but removing/replacing is pretty easy once the trunk liners are out.

·
*Registered
2000 SLK230
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you have one leaking roof cylinder and you lost all your fluid... and you're going to exchange all five cylinders and the pump?
The main reason I want to do a full swap is the age of the car and equipment, I am in CA, and TH suggested that the life of the hydraulics is about 15 years in this climate, so with the car being 21 years old, just rather do them all at once, as opposed to one at a time.

I've taken all of the panels out of the trunk, and took more photos to see if I can find the leak, if it's from a hose or from the cylinder. I'm going to buy some fluid this weekend from the MB dealership and try and see where the leak is coming from.

·
*Premium Member
6,011 Posts
If your liners are out it should be pretty easy to swap out the two roof cylinders (and the two boot lid cylinders as well). I think you'll need to remove the hinge covers too (one screw near the seatbelt, one nut on the other end). Use a magnet and put towels underneath your work area so you don't lose any of the small bits.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230
268 Posts
I like that idea, but since the entire system is now over 20 years old, I was thinking about getting the new motor to go with the cylinders, and honestly I'd rather remove and install on the same day, so the process is fresh in my memory (1:1 swap out)

I could send the whole thing to them for $850, do you remember what the turn around time was?
The turn around time for mine was about 7 days. I would call Klaus at TH to get an estimated time frame.
Also, take lots of photos of your cylinder removal and pay close attention to the routing of the front roof cylinder hoses, especially around the roof hinges.
The hardest part of this job for me was removing the S69-11 roof down switch, which has to be removed to access the right side main cylinder pin. It takes a 90 degree pick to release the plastic locking tab without breaking it.
Watch the videos on Top Hydraulics website, lots of good information and tips.

Hand Finger Automotive tire Thumb Nail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts