Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Magnaflow muffler

I am curious to know if anyone here has removed the stock muffler (just the muffler) and replaced it with a freer flowing muffler such as a Magnaflow. I searched the forums but didn't find anything.

I am particularly interested on the Magnaflow muffler part # 11365. I would like a throatier and deeper sound from my SLK320.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Although I don't remember what the part number is, I do have just the muffler with quad exhaust for my SLK350.. Definitely has the deeper throatier sound without the obnoxious rice rocket weed wacker sound. I like how it sounds when I down shift as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try the resonator delete mod. Maybe you'll like the deeper sound it will make. Mine sounds a bit like the super sprint muffler after I removed the resonator. Also I believe it will add a bit of horse power because of the weight of the resonator. It's heavy, so this mod is somewhat a weight reduction mod also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try the resonator delete mod. Maybe you'll like the deeper sound it will make. Mine sounds a bit like the super sprint muffler after I removed the resonator. Also I believe it will add a bit of horse power because of the weight of the resonator. It's heavy, so this mod is somewhat a weight reduction mod also.
I thought about that but from what I've heard it's not really a resonator but a secondary catalytic converter. I really don't know if that is true. I haven't looked under the car while on a lift.

But it sounds like a simple cheap job and if the sound improves even better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
To the OP...

I first did the 2nd cat delete looking for a more fun sound. It worked, a little sexier. I then started looking at all the Euro producers of the plus $1000 exhausts.

Being not rich, I caved and got a Magnaflow.
Then the disappointment began.

I installed the 14805 (thou I bet they all sound within 20% of each other, just different tips and finish)
Loud, cheap & DROWN. Really, more like a Chevy or Honda. My gut sank.

A few days later I went back and had a "J" pipe added that was to kill the drown. No- it didn't. It was the frequency that would disharmonies with my car audio and be soooo irritating. Oh, and I could barely her my girlfriend's voice with the top up. No Good.

A few days later, I went and got a resonator. Well, it killed any voice the Magna had and left ONLY the drown, Geez!

So I am out $500 and back to stock minus 2nd cats. It's not super sexy but it is Not classless noise.

Take some good headphones and go to Youtube and spend some time. Search and listen.
My experience (fresh as on June 2013) was save up, get a real product that is tuned, not just loud and be happy.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the OP...

I first did the 2nd cat delete looking for a more fun sound. It worked, a little sexier. I then started looking at all the Euro producers of the plus $1000 exhausts.

Being not rich, I caved and got a Magnaflow.
Then the disappointment began.

I installed the 14805 (thou I bet they all sound within 20% of each other, just different tips and finish)
Loud, cheap & DROWN. Really, more like a Chevy or Honda. My gut sank.

A few days later I went back and had a "J" pipe added that was to kill the drown. No- it didn't. It was the frequency that would disharmonies with my car audio and be soooo irritating. Oh, and I could barely her my girlfriend's voice with the top up. No Good.

A few days later, I went and got a resonator. Well, it killed any voice the Magna had and left ONLY the drown, Geez!

So I am out $500 and back to stock minus 2nd cats. It's not super sexy but it is Not classless noise.

Take some good headphones and go to Youtube and spend some time. Search and listen.
My experience (fresh as on June 2013) was save up, get a real product that is tuned, not just loud and be happy.

Happy Motoring!
I see, thank you for the advice. I will explore other options. Maybe a high flow chambered muffler. I will certainly post my findings on here.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I thought about that but from what I've heard it's not really a resonator but a secondary catalytic converter. I really don't know if that is true. I haven't looked under the car while on a lift.

But it sounds like a simple cheap job and if the sound improves even better.
Maybe it's different for the 320 and 200? Or the pre facelift and post facelift models? I'm not sure but I was told by the dealer it was a resonator. I did the mod because that part broke, and they wanted to charge me $2000 to replace it.

Maybe you can try it before getting an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not really sure if it will sound better to you, but it does give out a deeper sound which I like. You can also search you tube for the sound without the 2ndcat/reso.

And... You can always return it to stock if you won't like it and won't cost much. You can try the super sprint website but I don't know if you have a distributor in the us, I think they are based from Australia. I sent them an email before and they have a complete exhaust system for the slk. But it was too expensive including shipping and taxes, it wasn't worth it. But if you have the money to spend, maybe a full exhaust system will sound better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got an appointment for Wednesday at the muffler shop. :) Going to install a Magnaflow muffler part #11365 and an oval tip. I will be leaving the rest of the exhaust system intact.

I will post my opinion of the results soon after.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So I got an appointment for Wednesday at the muffler shop. :) Going to install a Magnaflow muffler part #11365 and an oval tip. I will be leaving the rest of the exhaust system intact.

I will post my opinion of the results soon after.
I thought you were gonna get the Remus? I was planning to get the Remus if your review would have been positive. Hehe :) anyway looking forward to your opinions on the magnaflow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you were gonna get the Remus? I was planning to get the Remus if your review would have been positive. Hehe :) anyway looking forward to your opinions on the magnaflow.
Yeah, I thought so too but $800 is $500 more than the custom Magnaflow setup with oval stainless tip. I hope it doesn't sound lie ricer. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey,
I just got a Used Eisenmann to try ... I'll post a sound clip of my Minus 2nd cats and Stock MB (with is kinda nice actually) vs. Eisenmann .... We'll see....

No Love for MagnaFlow ... sorry guys.....

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I am on the fence with an Eisenmann for my SLK32. I had one for my 00 230k and it sounded very nice, not ricey at all. Look forward to your sound clips!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the car back from the shop and $375 later this is what I got. :)

http://youtu.be/ytIG3qN_kqU

I really like the sound. It's meaner, deeper and throatier. Didn't drive with the top on so I can't talk about any droning. I will take other videos. Maybe a drive by and other from inside the cabin. Hope you like the short clip. I mostly kept it short so I wouldn't upset the neighbors. Also notice that I at first didn't rev it hard so you can hear how quiet it is at idle and up to 2k RPM. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts