Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50756243

Image copyright Getty Images
A New York man has died after being crushed by an empty car accidentally started by remote control.

Michael Kosanovich, 21, had been standing between two parked 2002 Lexus IS300s, on 6 December, when one of them had been started remotely by its owner, police said.

The car rolled forward and he was pinned between the two vehicles.

Bystanders tried to push them apart but as they did so, the car rolled forward and crushed him again.

Mr Kosanovich was taken to hospital with severe trauma to his torso and legs, according to the New York Police Department (NYPD). He died of his injuries on 7 December.

The NYPD said Mr Kosanovich had been inspecting one of the vehicles at the time of the accident, intending to buy it.

A spokeswoman for Toyota Motor North America told BBC News: "Our deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Michael Kosanovich.

"Although many details are unknown at this time, we have reached out to local law enforcement to offer support in the investigation."

Toyota added that Lexus "did not offer a factory-installed remote start in the 2002 IS" car model.

This would suggest such a remote ignition system would have needed to be retrofitted to work with the 2002 Lexus IS300.

The system's instruction manual warns users they should never remotely start the engine if they are "unaware of the circumstances surrounding the vehicle" as it could pose a threat to the lives of anyone in the car's vicinity.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,271 Posts
Must have a stick. If improperly installed, it might jump forward when left in gear. Don't remember any car of that time with auto trans left in gear do anything but sit there.

Reactions: jet_fl

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,217 Posts
Hi Len @LeonardoDaBenz ,

Apparently it was some aftermarket "Chiyaneesium" Remote Start Kit likely fitted and not even wired correctly by some inept moron :eek:

Should have at least had a "Neutral" Inhibit circuit if it was a Stick Shift ;)

I feel for the poor Victim and his Family, more so at this time of year, I do hope there will be some form of charges brought against the "Installer" ..............

Too many Cowboys messing around with Motor Cars etc these days :(

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,669 Posts
retrofitted kit.

One could be done for manslaughter here in the UK if a similar thing happened. Given that it was in the USA I'd be very surprised if the family of the unfortunate bloke didn't go after the seller in a big way!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
517 Posts
retrofitted kit.

One could be done for manslaughter here in the UK if a similar thing happened. Given that it was in the USA I'd be very surprised if the family of the unfortunate bloke didn't go after the seller in a big way!
Am sure there will be lawsuits. Am sure the Lexus owner's insurance will pay the family something, But, beyond that, how much they can actually collect from someone who was driving a 17 year old car is up for debate. As for criminal charges, I'd say that's doubtful here. This had to be a "perfect storm" of coincidences. Am having a hard time visualizing how someone could be killed in those circumstances. I'm guessing that he must have been kneeling, bent over, or in some other odd position. Normally your legs might be crushed somewhere below the knee, but that wouldn't normally be fatal.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,271 Posts
Age of the car is no indicator of personal wealth.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts
Age of the car is no indicator of personal wealth.
Agreed, this is a commonly modified car as it uses the same engine from the Supra, but in NA form. They turbo them and make insane power. My buddy has one making over 800whp and it looks nearly stock except the wheels. A heck of a sleeper car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts