Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mama's Passat just turned 50k an I think she wants a vehicle a bit larger. Was lookin at a MB R diesel. Mileage sucks for a diesel but looks good and is big enuf. Anyone have info on 08 R series or experience with 06-07. Reckon can we do European delivery of an R????

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Doug, just one wish: If you´re joining Germany YOU HAVE to visit me! About a R series I have no knowledge, only it´s very big and the 3l Diesel engine is a SLK killer.

D

·
0 Posts
Nooooo! Please don't buy an R complete waste of space.

Get her an ML or GL maybe even a G wagon all considerably more useful.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I was just going to say you can do an American Delivery, it's made in the gurd ole US of A. There's great deals on the R-class probably b/c it's not a good seller, looks too much like a Chysler Pacifica to me. :td:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
I think the R class is less of a waste of space than the ML or G...those cars are too high off the ground for most drivers, and i beleive they are also less efficient?

D

·
0 Posts
They are higher off of the ground for sure, would place them equal efficiency wise especially diesels since its basically a standard engine.

The difference being the ML while not a proper off-roader can handle very rough roads (tracks almost) without much trouble and is good in all weather conditions the 164 series here not the 163, and the G is just something else thats a proper off roader you really can throw it about as much as you like its built like a tank.

Thing is with the R what is it? what purpose does it serve for instance the purpose of the SLK is immediately obvious as is the C's calling in life but when i look at an R i just cant think of any reason people would buy them.

And they are unreliable anyways, just thought of the GL also i cant really see a point for that car but if she wants something bigger than the passat and you have the saloon route also maybe an E or something?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Beck pawned off an R class to me for a loaner back in '06. What a useless creation. Don't even try to park that thing anywhere, because the turning circle is horrible.

However, if you go diesel, take a look at the E320 bluetec. I have one right now... holy crap, Batman! It is a locomotive of the highway, and as hard as I am on it, I can't get below 27 Mpg. It's so much more car than my E350. And when the turbo in the bluetec kicks in, it's producing nealy 390ft-lbs of torque! That's more torque than the M5... or the SLK55. 60-100 mph happens so quickly, I can't even time it... I'm just too stuned to count.

When my E350 lease is up next summer, without a doubt, I will get a fully loaded E-class (the replacement 2009 body style). Or if the diesel C gets here first, I'll go for that.

Once you get a taste of this bluetec diesel, you won't look back. For the heck of it, I wanted to see what max mpg I could reach with it... I got 42 while going 75mph on the highway. The E320 bluetec is unbelievably quiet as well, because the engine is whirring away at 1200 rpm at almost any speed. Such a schnellmobile.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great advice, think I will pass on the R. Mama likes the idea of visiting Europe for 2 months. She said I could finance the other girls and the four of them would have a ball. How bout me? Said she would have more fun with tha biches. Dang pager gotta go fly, finish when get back...:tu::tu: Well Im back, Flight cancelled. What else can I say,,,, nuttin I reckon its only humor anyway. Thanks again ya'll.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
The R class is a luxury van that drives like a sedan. I don't know how often you need to drive a van, but if it's more than once a week, you'll appreciate the concept of the R-Class.

My family had an ML (w163). Awesome awesome car, but it was pretty bad on gas, and it was difficult for my mom to park.

The current ML (w164) is severely limited in it's offroad ability, if that is a consideration, look at getting a G wagon. The W164 looks great though, especially with AMG package. G wagons are my favourite, but the prices are very high.

Do you mind telling us what is your budget?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looked online at the E320 Bluetec, nice unit. Mama will probably say its ok if the trunk is big enough for 600 suitcases, when she and the girls go off for a weekend you would think its a 3 month deal with all the bags. The Durango did ok for 3 years but she got tired of removin the bags of corn and other stuff I haul around in it before they could use it. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Gurls, 10 bags to do what we can do with one....:biglaugh::biglaugh: and cipherin,,,them gurls are bad. 3 day trip, 4 gurls, 10 pair of drawers ,,,,,,each?????? Boys: 3 day trip 1 pair drawers will do fine,,,,,, day 1 clean pair while travelin, day 2 don't wear none, day 3 turn them dirty ones inside out and wear them while travelin home. If you git hurt travlin you need clean drawers but them nurses won't turn them inside out to see ifn ther's stains on tha inside so they will jus see the clean side.:tu::tu::tu:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Hello Doug, Just to chime in the R-class is nice to look at especially with the AMG bodykit, however whilst parkings its like a yacht as its limited to parking space's and similar to Suburban's,Excursions or Escalade's.

A Nice car that still would do the job is a ML500 or even a 350, medium sized fits 5 and has all of the refinments you should need especially a automated lift gate for the trunk, howver need something more Unique and Iconic you should settle for the 2008 G550 which gets the new 4valve 388hp 7speed auto from the SL and its build in Austria so you can have the option of doing a European Delivery.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Just to chime in here Doug and to add to Gero's sediment. You can only buy what will allow you Euro delivery! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree about ML, that may be the choice. We are not flashy folks, just want to fill the need and keep Mama happy and safe. She drove a Subaru Forester the other day and liked it, so she is easy to please. For puttin up with me and not hitting me (much) she is my jewel and can have anything she wants...I need to miss a few meals anyway...:biglaugh::biglaugh: I will let you know what she decides,,,:biglaugh::biglaugh: all donations can be sent to my PO Box,,,,,:biglaugh::biglaugh::tu:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Agree about ML, that may be the choice. We are not flashy folks, just want to fill the need and keep Mama happy and safe. She drove a Subaru Forester the other day and liked it, so she is easy to please. For puttin up with me and not hitting me (much) she is my jewel and can have anything she wants...I need to miss a few meals anyway...:biglaugh::biglaugh: I will let you know what she decides,,,:biglaugh::biglaugh: all donations can be sent to my PO Box,,,,,:biglaugh::biglaugh::tu:
I'll have the donations scanned, and send to you via email~ :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks watsons, can't wait to see it. (((((((probly be a coupon for $1.00 off a happy meal at Mc Dees.))))):biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Size matters in Europe as well... I was having a hard time getting around some towns in Germany with the SLK. The E-class is a taxi out there, but that's about as big a car as I could get away with driving over there when I go back for another EDP.

An S-class would be a nightmare to thread through small German towns.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.