Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Any tips regarding how to clean and make your dashboard as new?

As you all now, the R171 Dashboard is made of some kind of crispy ruber, and i dont know why it as a kind of shades, no all mat back

Also the doors trims have some white marks where you put sometimes your shoulder

Does anyone know the best way to give that new look?

Regards

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
Moved your thread to the caring for your slk section
until anyone responds, please 'search' this section for all your questions

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Earlier models of R171 had a dark grey "rubbery"-like coating that tends to leave lighter grey marks when rubbed by other objects. This was later changed, IIRC, within 1 model year to something that is a little of harder coating with random patterns on the surface.

The earlier type coating on the dashboard molded foam can be cleaned with a damp clean microfiber cloth, then apply a light uniform coat of Aerospace 303. If you want a bit more sheen/shine to the finish, allow the first coat to dry and apply a second coat.

Are the door trims of the same material? Got photo?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I have a 2005 R171 with the annoying dash material. Aerospace 303 is good. Poorboys natural look is what i use now, which works well and has not caused unhappiness over the last 2 years.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Were some pictures of the white spots and the not so uniforme black top dashborad

Hope you can help!
Try Aerospace 303 or PoorBoys as Nakulan suggested. I am only familiar with Aerospace 303. May need several applications several days apart: hopefully the colors will blend in, or at least be less observable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try Aerospace 303 or PoorBoys as Nakulan suggested. I am only familiar with Aerospace 303. May need several applications several days apart: hopefully the colors will blend in, or at least be less observable.
I will try PoorBoys and let you know the results

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2005 R171 with the annoying dash material. Aerospace 303 is good. Poorboys natural look is what i use now, which works well and has not caused unhappiness over the last 2 years.
Shall i use the Poorboys as it comes or diluted in water?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Small amount on a microfiber cloth and spread evenly. If you like a bit more gloss then give another coat. I use it now for the parcel shelf and other black bits too.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Small amount on a microfiber cloth and spread evenly. If you like a bit more gloss then give another coat. I use it now for the parcel shelf and other black bits too.
This "spray-on-cloth-then-wipe method" is best, as one doesn't want to get overspray unto the inner surface of the windscreen or other areas where you don't want the "protectant".

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I All

Just got the PoorBoys from my mail post last week
It's blue, no very liquid and smells like "chewing Gun"...

I started to test in my other car, natural, sprayed in a microfiber cloth, not water added. The look was kind of shinning.
Should i add water for a mate and natural look?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
well, owner's manual says to just use water and microfiber

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Has anyone ever tried olive oil? 1:10 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkgBapTdg2s
The person used the wrong cleaning "solution" to begin with, should not use alcohol or windex (another alcohol-containing solution) on plastics used in motor vehicles, especially clear plastic.

I do like the Extra Virgin Olive Oil solution although I think he should use a lint-free cloth and not the rough paper shown not the video.

I wonder how long-lasting the solution is.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I wouldn't expect Mercedes to suggest anything else other than playing it completely neutral ineffective but safe. It's called covering your back.
Water (distilled) is probably fine when the car is youthful, but with years of UV and oxidation it doesn't condition or restore the surface. My dash and door tops 'need' something, but I'm not sure what to use, here in the UK.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts