Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
* Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
5,733 Posts
that looks pretty good for a first attempt. what equipment did you use to manufacture it? And could you use the same equipment to make something for the triangles?

·
Administrator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,679 Posts
That does look good (y)

Reactions: Squishband

·
* Registered
SLK 280 AMG 2007
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks pretty good for a first attempt. what equipment did you use to manufacture it? And could you use the same equipment to make something for the triangles?
6mm clear polycarbonate, a roll of 6mm self adhesive draught exclude for a snug fit and 4 glass shelf brackets 6mm. Under the foam headrests is hardened stainless steel rollbar. Center punch then drill 4 1/8 holes in the desired positions through the headrests. Use stainless steel self tapping screws to secure the brackets. You need stainless screws to maintain the integrity of the roll bars. You could fit the same material in the triangles. Total cost of materials £20
That does look good (y)
Thanks

·
Administrator (Canada)
18,679 Posts
Total cost of materials £20
Ah , but you didn't mention the cost of the laser cutter ? Not exactly an item you'll find in your basement workshop ?

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
16 Posts
Brilliant, just the inspiration I was looking for to make my own plus great solution for attaching to roll bars instead of usual Velcro.

Colin

·
Administrator (Canada)
18,679 Posts

·
* Registered
SLK 280 AMG 2007
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the dimensions of the shelf brackets?

Thanks!
I've attached the ebay number so you can order which ever thickness you need. I ordered 6mm but when you drill into the 2 roll bars you must use stainless steel screws to keep the integrity of the roll bar.

·
* Registered
2007 SLK 350
7 Posts

·
* Registered
SLK 280 AMG 2007
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes thats them. You can buy different thickness of them depending the thickness of your polycarb.

·
* Registered
2007 SLK 350
7 Posts
Here is my build and install of this..
Think it turned out pretty good, but constantly worry about it flying off and hitting the car behind me.
Maybe it's just unfounded, and simply my paranoia and don't want to be the source of an accident.
It feels pretty stable, does vibrate a little on top when going over 60mph, but not like it's wobbling loose.
I may just drill holes in the plexi for the screws and just seat them in all the way and lock-tite them in place.
I just know sometimes screws vibrate loose after a bit and feel like that would be more secure.

Thoughts??

Bryan

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts