Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned an SLK 230 (1998 model) for around one to two years and I've noticed that the cabin noise is getting crazy loud. It's mainly the engine and outside noises that gets in and its very annoying to me. I know I could look up how to make any car quieter but I wanted to hear from any slk owners on how to make an slk 230 1998 (R170) quieter. Sorry for any spelling errors I was making this in a rush. :laugh:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,085 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
not being facetious here - I put a 4.3L V8 in mine, and even with exhaust leaks this car is sooooo much quieter at cruising speeds.

the Kompressor really buzzes.

Some people buy some sound-deadening mat and put a whole bunch of it under the carpets, but its expensive and heavy... plus I'm not sure the carpets ever fit right again.

My first step would have been to insulate the firewall and under the hood better as I believe the exhaust does a good job of hiding noise.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,212 Posts
Check your oil level.

Our 230 did not seem at all noisey.

Low oil can make them sound louder from the engine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Find some cheep Vinyl with thick padding at the fabric shop and run it around the car.... Think A10 Titanium Tub and you get the idea.

It will isolate the cabin from the outside and vice versa on the cheep (few $ a yard or so). That being said the location for the bose amp is where much of the sound can be shut off with some strategic padding.... That and the door panels will give you the most bang for the buck/time. The trunk has next to nothing as far as padding but I have not noticed much from that end of the vehicle as it is an open system head level to the back (hydraulic roof struts).

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,040 Posts
So I've owned an SLK 230 (1998 model) for around one to two years and I've noticed that the cabin noise is getting crazy loud. It's mainly the engine and outside noises that gets in and its very annoying to me. I know I could look up how to make any car quieter but I wanted to hear from any slk owners on how to make an slk 230 1998 (R170) quieter. Sorry for any spelling errors I was making this in a rush. :laugh:
Check your tyres are not contributing to road noise .
Thats a common thing .

Diff makes of tyres have diff db readings .

·
Banned
84 Posts
Sounds to me like the exhaust is losing it's innards. My '99 230 is on it's original system and is becoming noisier under acceleration and on start up

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
So I've owned an SLK 230 (1998 model) for around one to two years and I've noticed that the cabin noise is getting crazy loud............:
You say that the noise is getting louder, so as above i would be looking
At something that has worn or wearing out.

I have a 1999 230 and would not say that it is overly loud.

Things to look for (some already mentioned above)

Exhuast
Tyres
Belts
Worn Bearings ie kompressor, alternator, waterpump

The excess noise might be a warning that something
needs replacing

Best of luck

And cheers from down under

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You say that the noise is getting louder, so as above i would be looking
At something that has worn or wearing out.

I have a 1999 230 and would not say that it is overly loud.

Things to look for (some already mentioned above)

Exhuast
Tyres
Belts
Worn Bearings ie kompressor, alternator, waterpump

The excess noise might be a warning that something
needs replacing

Best of luck

And cheers from down under
thanks man, ill try and check that stuff. I'm starting to think that something needs lubricating? but idk. Ill try various methods because this car is loud. impossible to go on speaker and call your partner without hearing the engine roar. oh btw its mainly the engine making the noise and the back trunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts