Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow slk lovers,

I have owned my slk for 5 years, the last 2 years she has had a major leak, after rainfall or wash every time I make a right turn I can hear the water gush along my windscreen sluice channel and pour into the passenger footwell from the glove box region. ( I have her covered now and I am a fair weather driver with a dirty car!)
I have had mechanics clear the drains but it kept happening. The latest mechanic (awesome chap) took the plastic away from under the hood to reveal a rectangular hole, perfect for maybe a grill?
My questions are:
Does anyone know what should be here and maybe a part number so I can replace it?
For the first three years this didn't happen, has someone removed it because there is no broken part under the plastic cover?
I hope I have made sense and here are pictures to help you understand?

Thanks in advance,
Julz

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,110 Posts
Can't remember if the 170 is the same, but think it is.
This is for 171.

It's the air intake for the cabin.
Behind and below that hole is the fan.

You might find that the passenger footwell is damp.
Once water gets in it has nowhere to go.

There is a diy on fitting a home made grill over it to reduce the problem.

This sounds daft, but helps.
Look at how it is parked to help avoid ingress.

·
94,921 Posts
Datacard here

so you did not look up the part yourself?

Attachments

·
94,921 Posts
part 105 Myk?

A 202 835 12 40
* HOUSING
BLOWER COVERING

·
94,921 Posts
Look at post 8 above?

·
94,921 Posts
105 That looks like the bottom cover to the blower, Jeff.
The hole is the intake. 80?

The 170 gang will know if there is a screen or not.
130 is the blower
105 is above the blower

so why wouldn't 105 be the top?

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I don't think it's 105, that looks to me to be the cover that goes under the blower motor, just above the passengers feet. 105 is actually beneath the blower motor when it's all assembled, that's a bad parts drawing :wink:

When I had mine apart, it did not have anything over the HVAC Air intake, I'm betting the "mechanics" have not cleaned out that drain on the left side of the Car, (RHD), properly, there is 2 compartments here, a lot to clear out, and that side is the critical side, as it will form a lake / loch, and spill in bucket fulls through the HVAC Air Inlet :wink

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
94,921 Posts
Maybe 105 fits in here item 20 that has the hole?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,598 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I don't think it's 105, that looks to me to be the cover that goes under the blower motor, just above the passengers feet. 105 is actually beneath the blower motor when it's all assembled, that's a bad parts drawing :wink:

When I had mine apart, it did not have anything over the HVAC Air intake, I'm betting the "mechanics" have not cleaned out that drain on the left side of the Car, (RHD), properly, there is 2 compartments here, a lot to clear out, and that side is the critical side, as it will form a lake / loch, and spill in bucket fulls through the HVAC Air Inlet :wink

HTH, Cheers Dave
You beat me by 25 minutes this time lol

THIS ^ There is no grill, as has been already mentioned the large hole is there for the cabin fan intake. And as Dave says, there are TWO compartments on that side etc. etc. :nerd:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Dave, that is exactly what happened. All has been cleared out of the clogged drains now, I am just surprised that there is a hole here and it really looks like it's made for a purpose i.e. vent? I'm very interested to see what the 170 gang think :) I'm still looking on the partsouq aswell. thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the thread M4rcu5, my blower doesn't work either, that is when I took it Mercedes and they told me I need a new wiring loom because of the water damage and I should get rid of the car because the loom replacement would cost too much. I wanted to sort the leak out first before moving onto this next problem which the link to the thread is perfect for too thanks :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts