Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is is a main dealer service plan worth it and what does it cost and cover? I have also been advised that using a main dealer is better than using a Mercedes independent yes or no?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts
The dealer should provide a brochure of what it covers and what it costs

·
92,876 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
16 plate? Still under warranty? I'd favour dealer.
Out of warranty? I'd favour MB Indy (not gen garage).

MB Indy can use MB parts or recommend an equivalent (some parts MB rebadge and charge for it).
Labour/hr is less.

Some MB dealers bad, but others can be brilliant.
Some Indies good, some bad. I have 4 good on my list locally.

When things go wrong on a newish car having that plan can be a bonus.
@TonyS3 is well versed with these plans.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Under warranty definitely worth it if you have a good dealer. Out of warranty a good independent will save you a fortune.
If you do go for the MB plan its better value if you take it over 2 or 4 years as both A and B services are covered.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Thanks Myk, I’m no expert but I do have a current service plan.
Main Dealer service plan takes the cost of (in my case) the next three services and divides it into monthly chunks paid over two years. You pay each month but don’t have any annual bills. All scheduled service items are covered but not any defect rectification. Obviously it will cost more than an independent but that’s life. It does mean that you will get any software updates etc. if they are issued. If you like “Pay as You Go” it’s convenient. I had my first, big, five year B service last year and my second, A service is due in six weeks.
One advantage is that costs are fixed at the time you take out your service plan so no price increases over the course of it due to inflation etc.
I see your Warranty has just expired, did you renew it? The car must have full MB Service history to qualify for MB Warranty. I presume it’s got main dealer service history to date?
You're in Norfolk? Don’t know what the local dealerships may be like there. I’ve had good experience of MB Ipswich but I guess that’s too far away?
In terms of cost, pop into your local dealership and I’m sure they’ll be very happy to tell you!
If you need any further info do ask.
Best
TonyS

·
Registered
154 Posts
My question is is a main dealer service plan worth it and what does it cost and cover? I have also been advised that using a main dealer is better than using a Mercedes independent yes or no?

I have found the service plan good personally having had a 4 year plan with my 250 cdi which was only £27 a month and now a 2 year plan with my SLC43 at £36 a month

I didn't have a local indy so have stuck with the main dealer

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
I have a 3 year plan which costs £42 a month for my SLK55. At the end of the plan my car will have received 2 B services and 1 A service. Will look at alternatives at the end of the plan but if the price is still reasonable I will stick with the Main Dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've just taken out the MB service plan for 4 years at £36 per month. It covers everything that comes up including the gearbox oil change.

I did price it up at some local independents with prices varying but when added up over 4 years would have been costing around £34 per month.

For me £2 per month for the FSH when I eventually (if) sell it's a good selling point. You also get a courtesy car or pick up service and the breakdown cover.

Just as a matter of interest one garage quoted me £285 for the gearbox oil change saying the 7 speed box was more expensive to service than the 5 speed box. The other independents wanted about £200 for the oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be a majority in favour of the service plan. Other supplemental questions are:

what sort of things get up-dated that the main dealer says independents cannot do?

can a plan be cancelled if you sell the car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems to be a majority in favour of the service plan. Other supplemental questions are:
can a plan be cancelled if you sell the car?
The plan can be cancelled and you will receive any excess payments back or alternatively be expected to keep the DD going until you have paid what was owed.

I've just had a refund from my Toyota service plan that was in place when I cancelled.

·
92,876 Posts
the plan can also go to a new buyer of your sold car. a selling point...include what you paid for it in the price

1 - 12 of 12 Posts