Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm off to see the car im buying tomorrow direct from the Merc Main Dealer.

Can anyone tell me will they HPI the car and prove there's no finance left onit or no issues with the car itself (previous accidents etc)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd be less worried about this stuff if buying from a main dealer but for peace of mind you might want to buy a report from www.mycarcheck.com for a tenner.

Any work that has been done by an approved service centre should also show on the digital service book that the dealer can print off for you. If it's due a service, get it thrown in as a condition of the deal. They usually agree because it doesn't cost them much relative to the value to you.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Approved Used Cars | Mercedes-Benz UK

Assuming it's an approved used Mercedes then yes, they will HPI check it and it won't be a write-off BUT they won't
/can't tell you if it's been in an accident because they may well not know or not be prepared to divulge that information.

My own Fire Opal Red 2013 CDi 250 suffered a hefty accident in France in August 2014 and it was very close to a write-off as it needed the front and rear bumpers and every panel on the passenger side of the car replaced but it was repaired, much to my relief as I didn't have GAP insurance on that car. The car was repaired (not quite as good as new, but close enough) by the supplying dealer in Norwich but when it went back to Mercedes through BCA it reappeared at a Mercedes dealer in Glasgow who would probably have spotted the repair if they had examined the car at all, but I doubt they informed the buyer.

Given that even new cars often get paintwork repairs it's pretty hard to guarantee the vehicle you are buying hasn't been repaired unless you can check it. That's why I bought a paint depth gauge. Anything over 200 microns on a 'normal' car is almost certainly a post-manufacture paint repair. I say normal because Bentley's get 750 microns and Rolls-Royce get 1000 microns of top coat so they can wet-sand the Orange-peel out of the paint and make it perfectly smooth.

Other signs a car has had repairs are delaminated (wrinkled) number plates where the paint was cured in front of a heat lamp and missing bodywork stickers (like the tyre pressure sticker) as paint shops very rarely replace these after repairing the paint in the door jams.

Take someone with you who doesn't desperately want you to buy the car. That might be your wife. It might not. Get them to look at. The car REALLY hard and see what comes out of it.

I suspect it'll be fine though.

Make sure you check the tread on the tyres - they're £700 a set for Continentals/Bridgestones/Michelins etc. The rears can wear out pretty fast. Ask about the amount of material left on the brake disks and the brake pads and when they will need replacing. Have a look at how the mileage was run up. Was it used extensively for a year then left to sit in a garage or dealer's compound? Is the MOT due? Will they give you a fresh MOT to drive away with? On the test drive, warm it up, turn off ECO, select S on the gearbox, roll along in second at 10mph then floor it. It should pull like the proverbial train,, change up then pull HARD again. By the middle of 4th you'll be going illegally fast so back off and do it again. It's fun.

If they offer you a service contract it's usually good value, so worth taking. See if you can get them to throw in a couple of years GAP insurance because these things depreciate like stones.

Be a pain. After all you won't get your deposit back unless it's not as advertised so you've basically already bought it anyway...

Good luck!

·
Registered--sold my 2014 SLK55 AMG
513 Posts
Good list to check. SLK I returned after the leasing, had front spoiler repainted as I hanged on kerb in Switzerland. Mercedes never spotted damaged during service and BCA or Mercedes never commented on it when car was returned and it wasn't painted to high standard. I paid for fixing it, so there was no mark on any official documentation.

Not to mention, that dealers can damage cars while in their care, for example my ex-C63 which was damaged by dealer and badly fixed. So check bodywork very carefully.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
234 Posts
Ask to see the registration document

Some great advice here, ask to see the dealer HPI report, also ask to see the registration document.
That will tell you how many owners, who owned it last, and the previous owner, how long they had it. etc.

I have made mistakes by not checking it.
I was the fourth owner of my two year old A class, from a main dealer, they said the log book was at their other dealership and would be provided but were 'pretty sure' it was one owner, when it arrived after buying the car I found out the truth.

I have also found some good info from checking. One car was owned by Hertz rent a car, one owner, 200 drivers:wink:
Another had only been bought three months before, so why as it back in the trade? Faulty? Crashed and lost confidence in the car?

I know i am cheeky but I memorise the last two owners names and addresses, then spend a few minutes on google trying to find them and looking at the address on street view, amazing what you can find out.:surprise:

If I can find a number I also ring them, surprisingly I have never had an issue with this, amazing how open and honest people will be with you one they have passed the car to a dealer. May give you that important negotiating lever you are after.

Remember its your money, you worked hard for it and you are entitled to check out what you want before parting with it.:smile:

Good luck

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
My brother-in-law works for a Kia main dealer up north I asked him about a HPI check and he told be not to worry to much buying a car from a main dealer.
For piece of mind just ask to see it or spend a few £ and check your self.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys

Well I've bought it, shaken on it but not laid down the full amount.

HEre's the outcome

- I didn't see the HPI check but he assured me that they don't deal with cars thaqt have had any type of crash cat c or d and all finance was clear. Basically said they dont even entertain them as they're a main dealer and have standards to uphold

- It has verified milage, I asked how this was done, he informed me they plug it in and basically look at the amount of revelations the cam belt has done and then they do a comparison to the actual mileage and they can tell from that.

- Comes with 12 month warranty with them for mechanical and elctrical, anything wear and tear is on me which is fair enough,

- I saw the car in a pre valet state, it's immaculate inside and out, the paintwork hasnt got a mark on it, the only thing was a couple of the wheel had TINY and I mean tiny scuffs on them, he told me theyd be done for when I collect it.

- I didn't get any money off, but the reality was I've looked around for a LOT of cars and for as 13 plate with Full MBSH, AMG pack, Heated Seats with 15000 on the clock I genuinely think 17990 was a very very good price. My local dealer wanted 19990 for a car with 26000 on it (That did have air scarf though) so the reality was I was happy, I think I would have struggled to find another car for that type of money from a main dealer

- I did however get them to agree to replace the front tyres, possibly the rear if they needed it, full tank of petrol and a golf umbrella and some golf balls (hey I was after anything I could get) and brand new AMG Mats. It's also gettting an A Service which is 17 days overdue. The service itself is 300 quid the tyres are not cheap so I think I was happy with what i got... would have loved to have got some more money off but apparently they were gonna put it up for 18500 (they would say that) like i say though having looked around extensively i'm happy ...

- I didn't go over budget and with the exception of air scarf I think I got what I wanted.

- I now just need to find someone to do the front and rear parking sensor (for the mrs of course !!!)

Wanna thank all you guys on here for the great advice as well.This has been a bit of an experience to say the least

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
Got mine last June 12.000 miles 62 plate main dealer £21.500 so I think you done very well as for HPI got my last 3 cars from dealers and never even thought about HPI.
As for not having air scarfs not much of a big problem who wants to look like a dick driving around in winter. (sorry if you have your top off in the winter).
I couldn't get the dealer to give my anything walked away and still did not budge so I backed down and went back and paid asking price.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got mine last June 12.000 miles 62 plate main dealer £21.500 so I think you done very well as for HPI got my last 3 cars from dealers and never even thought about HPI.
As for not having air scarfs not much of a big problem who wants to look like a dick driving around in winter. (sorry if you have your top off in the winter).
I couldn't get the dealer to give my anything walked away and still did not budge so I backed down and went back and paid asking price.
i did my best to get money off, but in the back of my own mind i knew it was a good price for the car ... better be a nice umbrella !!!

ps

in my excitment and total and utter nervousness i didnt even open up the bonnet :'( ffs

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I ALWAYS drive with the top down unless it's raining. Airscarf isn't by any means essential but it's a nice-to-have, even on a summer evening when it can get quite chilly if you're only wearing a skimpy top (SWMBO likes me in a skimpy top:grin:).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.