Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine 'huntinig' at tick over, replaced the usual, (plugs, air filter, etc) when i changed the air filter, noticed oil ingress!, took apart top of housing, theres another little foam filter inside, drenched with oil!, so bad had to bin it!, lo an behold, bloody oil seperator problem!, pulled it apart an cleaned, sorted!, i thought,
as id only just bought the car, didnt realise s/c works on a clutch @2200 rpm, so car had been a normally aspirated one for i dont know how long!, as im a 'nosey sod', worked out faulty fuse near k40 module, replaced fuse and 'bugger me'! what a difference!
what god giveth with one hand, he taketh away with the other :frown:, think because s/c had'nt been 'blowing' for how ever long, oil had been pooling in intercooler, so now, when i boot it, im greeted with light oil mist over the MAF, and you know what fun things THAT causes :laugh:.
so, being a 98' and englands lovely weather, intercooler removal via the front bumper etc, hampered with very corroded inner wing bolts, dilema, remove bumper, and clean out i/c, and replace front wings, an repaint etc, or trip to breakers for second hand MAF every 3 months till oil's blown through??
3 MAF's for £50, first one lasted 2 months, on the second now, and its 3 1/2 months! im getting there!, well, that and sorting out the roof problems, dont u just love 'rubber booted micro switches :laugh:
But love the car to bits! and cant praise this website enough! i'd of been up a creek with out a paddle, BRILLIANT SITE guys :grin:

and many many thanks, to 'jbanks15' for the help, :smile:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would be tempted to get under car, & pull off an IC hose & spray fill it with a solvent degreaser.
That will evaporate & help break down the oil deposits, & surely easier than removing half the front end?

Well thats wot i'd do anyway :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting ready to do the same clean out job on my 02, but to prevent future issues, I am installing an oil catch can between the valve cover and air/oil separator. I have read that some users don't think this is necessary if the car is properly maintained...but the way i see it, if you don't put an oil catch can in there, your entire intake line, SC, inter-cooler, and MAF act as a catch can. I'd rather empty out a catch can every once and a while than clean out all those parts and deal with repetitive decrease in performance. Your inter-cooler needs to be oil free to work efficiently, and I would imagine that oil coated everything will just slow down air flow. I am also going to do the same for the crankcase PCV setup, just because it looks like a pain to clean and I don't want to have to do it more than once. Catch cans are inexpensive. Just be sure to get one that is sealed, meaning one without the filter on top. This issue isn't limited to Mercedes, and there is no downside to the catch can solution that I am aware of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.