Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the two vents in the MAf Elbow for?

To me they appear to be for idle, emissions, or air flow smoothing.

I see the PVC hose is routed into the 2nd vent. The throttle must open up to the first vent for idle, full throttle opens up all all three.

Would there be a benefit to removing these vents? Increase throttle response maybe?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found answer. There are called turning vanes and they smooth out the air flow. I was going to remove them for a nitrous install, but now i will just trim them back far enough to not affect nozzle spray.

·
Banned
433 Posts
What all is needed to do to take off that piece, as well as the MAF sensor housing on top of it?

I'm putting in an aftermarket intake (no instructions) and those pieces are replaced with piping - with the MAF sensor connecting to the piping. I don't want to break anything though while taking it off.

I need to take off everything from 405 through 520 in the image shown here:
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1072999&ukey_make=1103&ukey_model=16242&modelYear=2005&ukey_trimLevel=20506&searchString=slk55 air intake

The MAF sensor from 480 is reused. It looks like a 5-lobe security TORX like the one shown here http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/security-screws-fixings/25ipr-5-lobe-pintorx-driver-insert.php is needed to remove the two screws/bolts for the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Found answer. There are called turning vanes and they smooth out the air flow. I was going to remove them for a nitrous install, but now i will just trim them back far enough to not affect nozzle spray.
Would you not insert your nitrous injector(s) downstream of the vanes..??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The maf housing has a collar around it that attaches to a metal bracket. Pop both of those tabs back and disconnect maf harness and lift the housing up,

The nitrous nozzle can't be placed down stream. The elbow attaches directly to the throttle body

1 - 5 of 5 Posts