Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla Cybertruck Looks Like a Pumped DeLorean, Windows Break on Stage

Honestly do you think people will buy an ugly truck?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-looks-like-a-pumped-delorean-windows-break-on-stage-139172.html#agal_0

Well, the wait is over, and after seeing it in the fllesh, many have said the Cybertruck strongly resembles a Lotus S1 Esprit or a DeLorean, but somehow on steroids. We think it looks more like a toolbox on wheels.

The out-of-this-world looking Cybertruck will start at $39,000 for the 250 miles range model, while the top of the range with 500 miles worth of electricity at $69,900. As for the cargo space in the back, Cybertruck will be good for 3,500 lbs, and could comfortably seat up to six adults.

Unfortunately the car suffered an embarrassing moment on stage during the official presentation, as Musk was keen on showing just how tough the pickup is. But it looked like Cybertruck had other plans, and it literally crumbled on stage.

It happened while the CEO was trying to emphasize the nearly “armored” body that could withstand sledgehammers and even small caliber bullets, but both front and rear windows collapsed. It’s hard to believe that this exercise will not “hurt” the launch in some way.

Soon after realizing the potential damage this has caused, Musk said: "It didn’t go through, that’s a plus. We threw wrenches, we threw literally the kitchen sink at the glass and it didn’t break. For some reason it broke now… I don’t know why."

For now, Tesla can remain calm, as the stock price of the company didn’t change a lot during the after-hours trading, so it might just be a near-miss situation.

That being said, we’re still excited about the courage of Tesla’s design engineers. I personally did not envisioned such a futuristic, sharp-edged “bulletproof” architecture.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Most Exciting Thing About the Cybertruck Unveiling Is the Tesla ATV

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-most-exciting-thing-about-the-cybertruck-unveiling-is-the-tesla-atv-139173.html#agal_0

In front of an enthusiastic crowd, Elon Musk himself presented what may very well be the ugliest pickup truck ever made: the Cybertruck. A piece of auto design that is as flat and without character as an airport runway.

There are things going for it, of course, and the most exciting of them is the price tag. To be offered in three range options and with single, dual and tri-motor configurations, Tesla will sell the pickup (it already is selling it, actually, as the reservation books are open) starting from $39,900.

Then there’s the enhanced Autopilot with full self-driving capability, autopark and trailer docking. Oh, and it also has a retractable bed cover, one we got to see when a Tesla ATV rolled on stage.

That’s right, a Tesla ATV. The moment this machine rolled on stage was the moment when the crowd went wild, and all cameras and eyes shifted from the boxy, bare-metal monstrosity to the newcomer that came in, and then rolled onto the bed of the truck to wide acclaim.

Between the unsettling look of the Cybertruck and the momentous failure to show how its windows don’t break – they did – the ATV was the high-point of the presentation.

We know the thing is probably going to be called Cyberquad, and that’s about it. Neither Musk nor Tesla said anything more about it yet, nor do we have any good photos of it to show you, but we expect further details about it to be revealed possibly in a few hours, so keep an eye put for more.

Back to the Cybertruck, it is entering a virtually empty segment, where only the Rivian R1T comes as to fight it. The Rivian is much better looking, it is also much more expensive.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought Mad Max lived in Florida, drove a 'Stang and toured Sarge's block.
Rumors has it he is on Holiday in Cuba looking for spare parts.:laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
179 Posts
I've asked 3 pickup truck owners so far how they feel about the new Cybertruck. It is unanimous so far in the reaction of, "that is UGLY". Here in SC there are tons of P/U drivers, men and women. I will continue some more polling on this subject. I'm an investment advisor, I don't own positions in Tesla. I sometimes take an option position against Tesla, betting on the downside. There may be an opportunity here.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
718 Posts
I will soon be in the market for a midsize pickup truck, but I know this will not be a truck I will look at;
1) UGLY
2) I go off road and I am sometimes out for 3-5 days, no place to charge.
3) I will be taking trips to Alaska again and plan to do a drive to Goosebay Lab, very few places to charge
4) UGLY
5) I tow some stuff and unless they have found a way for the battiest to hold up better than their Model X, it won't work. Test on the Model X towing a 4500 ib trailer used up the battery in about 75 miles.
6) other than my house to charge, the closes supercharger place is about 80 miles away to the west, 160 miles south and 220 to the east.
7) did I say it was UGLY

I believe a hybrid would be great, small engine with a nice battery pack and motors at each wheel for great traction, maybe a 10-15 gal tank and large generator to keep the batteries charged and electronics working.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tesla stocks dropped after the little problem with the truck. The 6% because of ugly as ... the .14 for the broken window.:grin::grin:

Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
333.04 USD −21.79 (6.14%)
Closed: Nov 22, 6:30 PM EST ·

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,213 Posts
WELL, I like it BECAUSE it is different. Everything out there looks the same, with bland colours to boot.

Too pricey for my wallet but I'd get the triple motor with 0-60 under 2 seconds and 500 miles to a charge.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,178 Posts
Hyundai is coming out next year with a gaser.:wink:

Now that I do like, it looks like a modern take on the old El Camino :grin:

As for Mr Musty's Electric abortion in the first post

It's a big fat YUK from me :(

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
I kinda agree with Len.

I don't like it, but welcome it because it is different.

Most cars I see on the road look alike.
Apart from the badge & lights.

(I'm sure I drew that design when I was a kid watching Joe 90)

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,511 Posts
To me, I like it because I follow the maxim “form follows function“. There is a reason behind virtually everything you see on the vehicle. By using straight sheet-metal he avoids complex stamping which reduces production cost. The money he saves on production he puts into better material which strengthens it. Personally the 500 mile range is more appealing to me than 0 to 60 under three seconds. The built-in bed cover also looks interesting. Remember, this is supposed to be a truck, not a fashion statement. If it is functional and reliable what else do you want? The limited controls on the interior also reduce production cost, that being said I wish it had more individual separate controls as I am not a lover of touch controls on a vehicle which causes you to take your attention away from driving the vehicle. I think it is bad ergonomics.

·
14,213 Posts

·
14,213 Posts
THAT"s what it reminded me of. Thanks !

Reactions: Berliner Heckflosse

·
14,213 Posts
Out on the road now