Mercedes SLK World banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I see some problems :surprise:
Now I have a 350, not a 55 so may not be relevant...but..
The jack will not fit under the front to the central front jacking point...to tall..and not long enough...You can drive the car onto some blocks to lift the front end high enough to place the jack under it though.
I only went as far as far as removing wheels on My old &171...
But ended up purchasing a Halfords low profile jack, as the "jacking bung" reduces clearance even more...
With the standard Halfords jack, had to drive the R171 up onto a wooden plank first.....
(The "extendable wheel nut wrench" is also a useful tool & keep in the car!)
https://www.wilko.com/wilko-telescopic-wheel-nut-wrench/p/0184173

Attachments

·
AND MABEL
13,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Did you change the electric fan?
Yes, the whole unit. Could have bought a used one from Breakerlink but wouldn't have had time to fit it for the meet tomorrow, so just went with a new one.

·
AND MABEL
13,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Decided to give Mabel her red wheel highlights again. Due to the Alloygators I'd previously used having gone up by over 50% since I first bought them (and the fitting charge having increased by 500% :surprise:) I'd been looking for an alternative. The indie who painted her front bumper said he'd spray the wheels if I masked them up ready (as that's the time consuming bit and if not done properly could lead to runs) however I came across a roll of 5mm pin striping tape in Halfords for £5 and thought I'd try that. Seems to have stuck ok (though I doubt it would stand up to a pressure washer)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Davie,
If you look at some of the bike specific aftermarket parts suppliers (M&P etc) or some of the motorsport suppliers (Demon tweets etc) they normally have proper rim tape that come with an applicator tool so it goes on perfectly. It is also reflective so look good in the sunlight and at night when car headlights hit it.
I used some on my Blackbird and it stood up to a couple of years of powerwashing and was still going strong when the bike was written off.
.........Just a thought if the pin stripe does fall off.

·
AND MABEL
13,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Took Mabel less than a mile into town, parked and noticed the n/s rear tyre looked low, discovered a screw protruding from the tread. :crying: Due to the location it could be repaired but, as both rear tyres only have 3-4 mm of tread left and I'm heading to the Alps next month, I've ordered two new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's.

At least there'll be plenty of grip for those lovely winding passes. >:D

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
~~ I'm heading to the Alps next month, I've ordered two new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's.
At least there'll be plenty of grip for those lovely winding passes. >:D
Sorry to hear - the number of screws & nails that I pick up while walking the dog (But not North of the Border..)

...but every cloud has a silver lining & will have new tyres for plenty of these:

Attachments

·
AND MABEL
13,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
New rear tyres fitted this morning :smile: Then took Mabel to Busby Garage and got her front bumper and undertrays fixings sorted out. She's now got a solid front end again and (fingers crossed) ready for whatever the roads throw at her. No more scraping noises @Col @Avel Du :wink:

161 - 173 of 173 Posts