Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst some of you lucky people were away partying in Florida, I bought Mabel a few treats, and spent Friday giving her some TLC.

She does clean up well! :)

Attachments

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had noticed the rear brake callipers and wheel nuts were getting a bit rusty :(, so decided to freshen them up on Saturday. :)

Attachments

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a bl**dy truck pull across the front of me whilst parked , breaking the lense in the fog light, and scraping the bumper :tazz: . Sunday was repair day. Had purchased a new light (why don't they make them so that you can just fit a lens, instead of having to spend £60 :(), and found 30 minute fitting instructions on here :), so DIY time again.

Easy! :) Only took 10 minutes, plus photos time. Haven't tackled scratch yet. Just applied paint stick to make it less obvious.

Attachments

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's here

Monday up bright and early, 50 mile round trip to collect Mabel's group buy Y) windrestrictor from the delivery :biglaugh: company. :) :bannana: :bling:

Well packaged = no damage. :)
high quality finish = smile :)
time to fit = less than an hour (though wiring still needs hiding) :)
ease of fitment = If I can do it ..... :)
pleased with the result = deeeeee lighted :)

Congratulations Windrestrictor; you've achieved 5 smile status!:)

1/ it's here!
2/ all of it!
3/ roof down ..... job done!
4/ roof up, midnight, on the high street, in the rain, light off!
5/ light on!

Will post night photos, with the roof down, if the rain ever stops.

Attachments

·
Banned
992 Posts
Whilst some of you lucky people were away partying in Florida, I bought Mabel a few treats, and spent Friday giving her some TLC.

She does clean up well! :)

99P Stores (Do you have them up there?) do 'radiator' bottle brushes about 2 feet long which doubled over and cable tied, will clean the wheel inners without removal. I got to the till with mine today, but the cashier saw the £20 in my hand and said she couldn't make change, so will pick-up a couple tomorrow.

·
Banned
992 Posts
OK, picked-up a couple of those brushes at the princely sum of 99p each and decided to give them a quick go while the rims were wet. Didn't have time to zip-tie them, but I think they would benefit from having some sort of spine tied in, either a piece of cane or a section of stiff hosepipe. Wasn't near a hose either, so had to make do with splashes from a bucket - but overall not bad for a five-minute wash and brush-up.

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,129 Posts
Very nice job :tu:

But the red wheel bolt caps / painted is a very very no no. :td::td::td:

Over kill

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice job :tu:

But the red wheel bolt caps / painted is a very very no no. :td::td::td:

Over kill
I wasn't sure about them going red, but, as I was intending replacing them anyway (due to rusting), I thought I'd try it out. Nothing to lose. Whilst the red has grown on me, I'm going to buy some shiny ones for comparison.

Reactions: Helix and Delucas

·
Banned
992 Posts
I wasn't sure about them going red, but, as I was intending replacing them anyway (due to rusting), I thought I'd try it out. Nothing to lose. Whilst the red has grown on me, I'm going to buy some shiny ones for comparison.
Have you found chromed, or just new zinc plated?

I think the red looks quite nice btw - black looked good on my Porsches too.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,129 Posts

Yes they do fade the top of the bolt heads etc

Look for plastic caps black or silver

And theres a tool to extract them off so no damage to alloy . :tu::tu:

Red just detracts from your nice alloys .

·
Banned
992 Posts
Yes they do fade the top of the bolt heads etc

Look for plastic caps black or silver

And theres a tool to extract them off so no damage to alloy . :tu::tu:

Red just detracts from your nice alloys .

I thought about that, but they don't come with a fitment for the lock-nut, do they?

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dirty girl

Mabel and I were away on a wee theatre break :) to Pitlochry (see Mabel's movies), and then Kilmarnock to see Mabel. The trip turned Mabel into a right dirty girl, and I love it when she's getting dirty! :D
Took her home and ran her a bath, she positively shines when I do that for her! :)
Little Mabel was on good form too. :)

Attachments

Reactions: MrPid

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,450 Posts
The red lug bolts looks like someone's pedicure.

Reactions: AZ SLK

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
windrestrictor evening pics

Congratulations Windrestrictor; you've achieved 5 smile status!:)

Will post night photos, with the roof down, if the rain ever stops.
As promised ... had the roof down this evening :), so managed a few pics of Mabel's new windrestrictor ..........

Attachments

·
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've just realised I hadn't updated Mabel's thread. Her new plate finally arrived just in time for the Wales meet. I'm delighted with it!

I have four new tyres for her, awaiting fitting on my return home. I'm going with Continental Conti Sport 5's. She has them on the rear just now, and I was plenty happy with them. A reasonable price too, at a shade under £600 fitted etc., at my local tyre place.
The Smarttop I ordered, still hadn't arrived before I left for work last Tuesday. If my experience with the Windrestrictor is anything to go by, it's probably lying in customs :(. (I could have bought one from this side of the pond, and avoided the wait, but SLKStore's deal was a good one, and I like the idea of supporting the forum's sponsors :)) Anyway, the additional time has given me a chance to go through the fitting instructions 2000 times, so I may even manage to fit it to Mabel myself! :D

Attachments

Reactions: KevD and LOA
1 - 20 of 185 Posts