Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
OMG that exhaust and intake is amazing....420 bhp? wow....no wonder MB is holding off on production of SLK 55. I wonder if the CLK 63 will get a hp bump?

·
Registered
228 Posts
But it only has 295lb-ft at very high RPM's in a car that will weigh 3,500lbs at least. It won't be much faster than the SLK55, thats for sure...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
But it only has 295lb-ft at very high RPM's in a car that will weigh 3,500lbs at least. It won't be much faster than the SLK55, thats for sure...
Yeah, I thought about the same thing. It will probably be slightly slower to 60mph yet quarter mile times will be nearly the same. The M3 will most likely pull at higher speeds and have better handling. I was considering the M3 as my SLK55 replacement but I'm not so sure now.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
i think the M3 will be under 3500 lbs...at least it SHOULD be...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i wish the M3 would of just the kept the six, and maybe super charge or turbo it.

Ya I saw these kind of reports awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
hmmm.... i expected BMW to really try and blow the RS4, this probably won't really leave it far behind. still the same league.

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
hmmm.... i expected BMW to really try and blow the RS4, this probably won't really leave it far behind. still the same league.
Correct, A friend of mine has a 2006 RS4, He told me the best advantage of the RS4 with other cars that it can dust them from 0-120kmh acceleration; other wise the top end isnt that spectacular.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thats what the M5 is for. Dont forget they do wanna keep the models seperated.

RS4 IS a sweet car. not only acceleration, but they have all wheel drive! ;)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Baron i think the M5 is aimed at the RS6 market, and the RS4 is M3 equivalent, as the S3 is 1 series territory.
i would def an M5 over an RS6.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
http://www.da-motorsport.com/projeler/m3turbor/index.htm

have a look at this link, eevn an old m3 is highly capable of a lot of ponnies. Those guys also modify bmw engines up to 1000 hp, they simply rock. Buy an e46 m3, turbo it and kick lambo's and ferrari's asses :)
Here's my brother's e36 M3, it's turbocharged, 450bhp on low boost, could get it up to about 500bhp. That car handles like a dream, it's his current track beast.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Baron i think the M5 is aimed at the RS6 market, and the RS4 is M3 equivalent, as the S3 is 1 series territory.
i would def an M5 over an RS6.

I know thats my point. A v10 M3 would cross segments, and ultimately BMW would lose out in two markets, They would have no "entry lvl supercar" and would have two lower highend supercars competing against each other.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Here's my brother's e36 M3, it's turbocharged, 450bhp on low boost, could get it up to about 500bhp. That car handles like a dream, it's his current track beast.

whats the big wing for? I mean im sure it makes a little different, but wouldnt a spoiler closer to the trunk with a little more depth be more beneficial? or is it cosmetic.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
whats the big wing for? I mean im sure it makes a little different, but wouldnt a spoiler closer to the trunk with a little more depth be more beneficial? or is it cosmetic.
That wing is for track only, normally it's not on there, that meet was shortly after a track event, that car is used mostly for track purposes but yeah, it's for intimidation (cosmetic) as well and down force.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't believe in the downforce mate. I doubt pretty much any road car can get to speeds on a track for a wing that size could do anything for a 3000lb car even at 150mph. Generally race track straights are too short to get the kind of speed you can easily reach on a highway, freeway, autobahn.

I used to go to TWS, which used to be an oval, so there was a huge straight, not normal for a race track and I'd see about 145 as i turned in. for a aerodynamic element to have an downforce effect to aid it round corners on a car that heavy you'd need to be going a lot faster. It only makes such a drastic effect on f1 cars because of the weight and the whole car is the profile required. Mcclaren used to use the slower wind tunnels were I worked and I got to see some intereting stuff back then.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
ya i thought so, like i thought, you gotta be doing like 200 for it to really make a difference. But hey, your right it might freak some people out, "u out handled me cuz you got a spoiler!" hahahaha i would to hear that and just laugh real hard.

ALMOST AS FUNNY AS SEEING RICERS WITH A BIG WING WHEN THEIR CAR IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
yeah, thanks guys, that spoiler has been taken down for quite some time now, that pic was taken in Oct 2005, it was obviously model after the e36 lightweight and was one of my bro's favorite rides, he was trying to mimic that look.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts