Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What luggage have you found that fits the boot and allows the luggage cover to be used?

I have a variety of soft sports bags but I'm after something smartish that I can use whe away on holidays, staying in hotels etc.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
search like this

use google box on site
or go to google

type
site:slkworld.com r172 luggage recommendations

·
Registered
82 Posts
We use one airplane carry-on in the wheel house and on top a standard 110-110 litre hard case with wheels (like Samsonite etc.). Fits perfectly and fills out the the trunk space almost to 100%. I looked into the custom made bags, but decided to use standard hard cases with wheels. Can't see how you could get much more volume out of the custom stuff. This combo fills out the trunk space with just enough room for a piece of cleaning cloth.

(looks like the pics got turned upside down and side ways, so tilt your head I guess...)

Attachments

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
26 Posts
If you want a cheaper alternative, you can fit 2 22" carry-on cases and 1 20" carry on case, with the 22" cases stacked behind one anoter on the left side of the car facing left to right and the 20" case fitted on the right side of the trunk facing front to back. This leaves some room on top of the suitcases for loose items like jackets.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I too use a combination of 2 small wheeled cases & soft bags for the boot/trunk.
To create more storage space in the cabin my regular passenger being of modest height & preferring an upright seating position means I can place a soft bag on the floor behind the seat on top of which I place a haversack. I already have a long black flat bag permanently fixed to the rear wall behind the seat for maps etc & a large net over the top of the existing central pouch which doubles the capacity for things like gloves & hats.
In each footwell I have fixed another net (larger than & over the top of the original in the passenger footwell ).
A long very slim plastic bin slipped down in the gap between each of the seats & the central console minimise losing odds & ends down the gaps & is useful for such things as mobiles notepads pens etc.
Nets & slim bins bought off a Googled sites

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,936 Posts
If you want a cheaper alternative, you can fit 2 22" carry-on cases and 1 20" carry on case, with the 22" cases stacked behind one anoter on the left side of the car facing left to right and the 20" case fitted on the right side of the trunk facing front to back. This leaves some room on top of the suitcases for loose items like jackets.
Sounds like what I tested to see what would fit. But I didn't stack them/laid side-by-side parallel to the length of the car. Luggage "fitted" for the SLK is stupid expensive so alternatives are nice to find.

Gotta remember the support bars for the luggage shelf that allows the roof to retract HAVE to have room to descend when the shelf is pulled back/engaged. You don't really have the full width available unless you're never going to go topless, in which case not pulling the shelf down adds about 3-4 " on each side. Housings for the tail lights also rob you of some front to back room.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Long ago I gave up bothering about using "smart" luggage when staying at hotels. Maybe if I had lived in an era before cheap flying & cheap holidays possessing high quality expensive luggage, ideally adorned with stickers depicting exotic locations & references to Cunard White Star liners etc, would advertise my wealth & status & thus ensure concierges & porters the world over would be eager to give the me the best attention & service.
But it's the 21c century & who cares a toss, nobody is going to judge you based on your luggage. Sure it's a matter of personal standards but unless you have luggage for posh hotel use only then whatever is convenient has to be the only consideration.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
325 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What luggage have you found that fits the boot and allows the luggage cover to be used?

I have a variety of soft sports bags but I'm after something smartish that I can use whe away on holidays, staying in hotels etc.
I use Leather Suit Carriers from The Bridge Leather, made in Florence Italy. Bought second hand on eBay when someone selling for sensible prices. Often listed at a high price. If you can get circa £180. New cost over £1000. I put them behind the seats freeing up boot space. Now have 2 of them. Look really smart. But I guess any suit carrier would work. Relatively flat in open form you can get quite a few items in them.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
I use Leather Suit Carriers from The Bridge Leather, made in Florence Italy. Bought second hand on eBay when someone selling for sensible prices. Often listed at a high price. If you can get circa £180. New cost over £1000. I put them behind the seats freeing up boot space. Now have 2 of them. Look really smart. But I guess any suit carrier would work. Relatively flat in open form you can get quite a few items in them.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2018, model?: 32, 43, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300, 320, 350, 55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pro tip, test what you have EMPTY, not on the morning of departure and stuffed full.

Ross has plenty of decent cheap luggage, we opted on our first 3 day trip for one medium barely fits roller and one gym bag soft smaller bag.

Pack lite, its a win win.

OTOH being married we may continue to see how much we can stuff in using a different combination.

Something to consider are the big sealed bags you fill with "soft" clothes and suck out the air with a vacuum and squishes down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts