Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just put on a set of 17" wheels from a 2003 SL500 onto my 2004 SLK230 that came with 16" wheels..
The wheels are 8.5" wide and have an offset of 35. The wheels fit nicely but the problem is that my lug bolts seem to be too long at the rear wheels. Is that possible? They are the OEM 12x1.50, 40mm shank, ball seat type.

Just to try it... I installed the lugs from the spare tire and now the wheel spins freely without the grinding sound. Are the spare lugs too short (21mm) to use?

Am I missing something pretty obvious?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Am I missing something pretty obvious?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know about obvious, but maybe. If the style of wheel for the SL is such that the depth of the lug bolts is different from what is standard for the SLK, you may need a different one. The SL may use a bolt with a different length of shank. If someone here doesn't know the answer, you could check with the dealer parts counter to find out what bolt part number was specified for use with that wheel on the SL and compare it to the part number for the SLK.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,440 Posts
Caution!
Afaik the lugbolts of a 2003 SL are M14, and as MB uses a ball/radius seating, if they are MB-original wheels the seating has a radius of 14 mm. Your SLK uses M12 bolts and these have a radius of 12 mm!
If you want to have them fitted securely and don't want to be overtaken by your on wheel when you're happily cruising down the highway You will need special bolts with 12 mm thread and a radius of the head of 14 mm.
Don't use your original SLK bolts!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.