Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C Class lug bolts came from the factory looking decent. 3+ Years later, they still have the Mercedes star on the end of them and everything. Look fine.

However, my SLK's lug nuts looked awful from day one, and they never had a Mercedes star. I always assumed a worker at selling dealer might have swapped them with their own vehicle.

Therefore, I asked several part departments about getting new lug bolts.

However, they all tell me, they don't have any with the star. Is that just because they're cheap and don't buy the OEM lug bolts from Mercedes?

Or does the SLK size lug never come with the Mercedes star?

Does your SLK R171 have the Mercedes star on the end of the bolts?

Many thanks.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
Yeah, no star. And mine are looking pretty ratty these days. I've been meaning to get some new sets.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
No star and also planning to get a new set. Got pix of the ones with the three-pointed-star?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Strange, i've had quite a few MBs in the past, never seen a star on the lug bolt. are these decorative caps that have been fitted over the lug bolts perhaps? they were very popular in the 80s, and fit very snugly, not very expensive, looks like polished chrome, but is actually plastic?

Picture please!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,912 Posts
aren't those special locking nuts?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, these (the star bolts) are just the 100 percent OEM lug bolts on my C Class, and they were on a E Class rental I had a while back too.

They are not shiny really or anything. They just look less corroded, like they are maybe treated a bit on the end, and it has the Mercedes star etched in them, not a cap, nothing fancy, just not so deteriorated looking.

I will certainly post a picture tomorrow if I can!

I will place one side by side with SLK, to see if they would work on the SLK too.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
I use my body color paint & clearcoat and they turned out great. Just had to be careful putting them back on.
That looks great, but that probably won't hold up to well if you take them off now and then. I'm intrigued by these starry bolts! Must. Have!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts