1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
DITTO Thank you Sarge. I just received my Gummi stuff.....now all I have to do is modify a broom stick so I can complete the job.

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's in the links also

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to add, if you get a tube of silicone grease and lightly smear the seals that the roof sits down on, it helps to stop the seals sticking to the roof when the roof is closed for long periods during the winter.

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feel free to paste your comments also in the copied posts in the r170 and r171 diy section also

295 Posts
Feel free to paste your comments also in the copied posts in the r170 and r171 diy section also
I have been asking around about what grease to use on the roof's moving parts. Here are the results.

My Dealer – A couple of years ago. Rubber Care by Wurth & any petroleum based grease.

My Dealer – Last week. Krytox #A0009893660 to lube rubber seals. Mercedes does not recommend any lube at mechanical points.

Dealer in Charlotte, NC – Do not grease the top & nothing on the rubber seals

SLK Club – Gummi Pflege & Krytox grease.

What to use, what to use??????? :crying:

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as the thread says for vario hinges. Lithium spray grease. trust me :D

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
974 Posts
DON'T be tempted to lubricate without using the broomstick. I tried & had to move VERY quickly when the roof started to move. Now off to make my own broomstick - lesson learned.

·
Banned
974 Posts
When I nearly caught my head I had opened the roof so the roof moved backwards so I assumed you activate the roof to close then place the broomstick to stop the process continuing i.e the broomstick jams it.

·
93,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after finishing with broomstick, make sure one continues the roof operation in the direction it was going
ie., if you were opening it to use the broomstick, when done, continue the opening process
and vice versa.....otherwise, the system will get confused. just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
11,532 Posts
after finishing with broomstick, make sure one continues the roof operation in the direction it was going
ie., if you were opening it to use the broomstick, when done, continue the opening process
and vice versa.....otherwise, the system will get confused. just sayin'
Further to this, in all likelihood your first attempt will leave a larger-than-desired gap between end of stick and the windshileld.

I had a gap of about 2" and the roof would not drop. I waited about 5 minutes but my arms got tired ever-so-gently pushing it to close that gap..

SO I just reversed the motion (close it instead of opening) just a smidge and it came tight. When finished I did fully open the roof (initial action) to remove the stick with no issues.

You can reverse the motion without ill effects mid-action (at least for a 2" range) :tu:

YMMV.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Out of curiousity, why not just pull the lever to open the roof but release it when the roof is midway open? Doing that on my 2012 350 stops the roof from opening fully. It freezes mid cycle with all the mechanisms exposed. Is this not normal? I'm trying to understand why you need the broomstick mod to keep it in place.

·
Super Moderator
11,532 Posts
@cousjcc Hydraulic pressure graduallly releases and after a few (5? 10? minutes) is not enough to hold the roof in position/the roof drops whichever way gravity is pulling it down on whatever side it's not balanced on.

Not good when you have your arms/hands in there snaking through the angles to lube stuff :surprise:

BTW, that is what I've read elsewhere on SLK and I tend to believe what I read here (and not find out the hard way :tu: )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts