Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all.

Just wondering if anyone else is having same problems I have. I'm finding that the lubricant that MB uses on the rubber seals on the windows is leaving "streak" marks on the window glass?

Because its the rubber seals on the top of the door window thats lubricated, every time I put my window up, it touches the seals, and hence the lubricant. Then when I put the window down, it brings some of that lube down to the bottom of the window(top of door) and contaminates the "feelers"(the bits at the top of door which stop outside contaminants from getting inside the door), and then when I put the window up,
the rest of the window then gets part of the lube on it from going past the feelers, causing grease or streak marks..

I've tried using the stuff that MB uses(i think they call it sliding compound) for lubricating seals and also Carbaflo, and they both seem to exhibit the same behaviour ie. marks the windows. Haven't tried Gummifledge yet, but I'm assuming it'll do the same thing.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

·
Registered
561 Posts
nope. i recently had mine lubed from MB dealer and having same problems. Been cleaning it every third day or so....its annoying.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
You're not the only one. The smudging gets less over time. Do use a clean microfiber cloth for glass or 100% cotton cloth to wipe the smudges down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can't go wring with Gummiphlege. I used it on my Z4 and it stopped the window squeaks I had and left the seals looking brand new and soft. No residue.

Now I have the SLK I am about to use some Gummiphlege on the seals too, jutst o keep them supple.

No residue. :)

CM

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
They over lubed the seals IMHO - I've done mine a number of times, and little to no streaks They should *barely* be touching the seals where the windows touch, there's not a lot of value (eg little noise) generated there... Gummiphledge seems to have more margin for error...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I used Gummi on my z3 and it worked well. I paid out for the MB stuff and cleaner at high price, it took me ages to do on the slk and I got the streaks as well. I just grabbed my old gummi tube and did the whole job in 5 mins and the results are better imo. Gummi is the way to go

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phew! I thought I was the only one experiencing this since I never saw this posted anywhere that I could find. For me, someone(pretty much anal-retentive!!) who likes to keep their car clean and shiny all the time, those streaks were really starting to piss me off.

Hmm...seems Gummi might be an option then. Might get a tube and have a go with that if it dries with no residue. I like to keep my seals lubed but I hated having the windows marked all the time!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tube??? Mine came in a bottle with a foam applicator attached, like the shoe shine bottles. I just pumped it a few times to moisten the foam and started wiping it along the seals. Quick and easy, no mess and nothing on my hands.

CM

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm..did some more googling on gummi...and found this, and other similar stuff on forums :

" Why it was discontinued

I searched the web mercilessly looking for information, and what I found is that Gummiphlege was most likely a silicone grease. This is why BMW discontinuted it. A BMW TSB indicates that silicone has been detrimental to the rubber weatherstripping and actually hastened its ultimate demise while first appearing to help."

Thats not good....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes it does. I got it from QLD over the net.

Carbaflo from UK is about $80 AUD plus $100 AUD Postage :butt::butt:

From BMW
Carbaflo KSP 105 lubricant

Part number: 83 23 0 309 627

Supplement

50GM STIFT
Carbaflo KSP 105 is a colourless, Fully synthetic, solvent-free perfluorated High-performance lubricant / coating agent.

Unit of quantity: Piece
Weight: 0.056 kg / 0.123 lb
Price: 26.30/ $38.7

Apparently it is not to be used on NEW door seals.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah....did you get it from Waxit? I found they were one of the suppliers of einszett products in Oz. I might try that. Wrote to Einszett and they confirmed that the version of Gummi Pflege they produce has no silicones in it. The BMW Gummi stuff that got withdrawn must have been a silicone version - that one, I want no part of!

Yup, I got Carbaflo shipped to me from the UK...at a very prohibitive price, but I was willing to try it if it stopped the squeakiness of the roof. That it did, but also left marks all over the windows. Its quite good on the rest of the seals but just looking for an alternative for the seals that contact the windows.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have found that Gummi Pflege leaves some residue on the window. It cleans off but returns.

All in all though a small price to pay for curing the creaks.

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this problem after 2 years ownership but in the winter I did not clean off the residue on the glass. When I finally did clean it off it left a mark where the seal touched the glass all the way round. I could never get off.
The SLK is the only car I have ever owned where the glass stained, surely it is poor quality glass ?.
I now have a new SLK so will be careful this time.

I have also seen comments on this forum about rear windows pitting. This is a sure sign of what we in the glass industry know as soft glass. Whilst not a fault as such it is a sign that the chemical mix of the glass from that factory could be changed to stop this.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
I have found that Gummi Pflege leaves some residue on the window. It cleans off but returns.

All in all though a small price to pay for curing the creaks.

John
Same here.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When my car was new it did this. Now at 9 months or whatever not so much.

So yeah, I think it's something you have to leave with whenever it gets re-greased.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a bottle of Einszett Gummifledge coming to me in a month's time, and I'll test it out then. Its like 6 pounds in the UK, which comes to something like 11 dollars aussie... If I buy it here in Oz, including delivery, it works out to be close to $30..... small diff, but I hate paying extra just because we're on the south side of the earth :)

Its really annoying...I just washed and waxed the car and had it looking pristine. The moment I put the roof down, and windows retracted and then went back up, i had the marks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.