1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,124 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@jbanks15 .. i remember reading this a while ago and was hmmm , nah , no need , maybe , who knows ..i could be swayed ...
now i am wooo hoo lets go.
just received today , hopefully tomorrow it can go to the shop and let the installation process begin ..
what annoys me is that i can do this all on my own, i just dont have the facilities or tools to do this sort of work any more .. so i need to have faith in another..

thank you

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@DHamner .. not sure of there is but this unit seems robust and as you said 4 years and no issues.. reviews speak for themselves and i will be giving this a testing when installed

next week my mechanic can do the job

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
With this LSD, you don't have the complexity of needing to use exotic lubricants or deal with clutches, etc. I have a 2006 low mile M Coupe that I upgraded to a 4:10 rear gear. We cant seem to get the "whine" out of the differential. . You made the right choice IMO. The mechanic does need to have confidence in differential work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it seems when you get l to lower diff ratios thee is constant song and dance going on in there .. i had 4.56 in my little street race car years ago , same thing ,,

Quaife recommends a fully synthetic 75w / 90 for this set up

thanks DHammer

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the diff is in and WOOZA ...

you can actually notice the traction difference taking off in a straight line and going around a corner you open it up and nails it nicely ...

we just got some rain ( yes Summer in Melbourne 4 seasons in one day ) and ESP off,,, OMG fun fun fishtailing

so hats off to QUAIFE

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I felt the same way. Not a cheap modification but worth it. You wont have any problems with it going forward either. It really is an" install and forget" mod.

·
Registered
129 Posts
so the diff is in and WOOZA ...

you can actually notice the traction difference taking off in a straight line and going around a corner you open it up and nails it nicely ...

we just got some rain ( yes Summer in Melbourne 4 seasons in one day ) and ESP off,,, OMG fun fun fishtailing

so hats off to QUAIFE
Can I ask how much this ended up costing you and where did you purchase the diff, would really like to do this mod.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Sure. For me, the cost of the Quaife was around 1k US. I ordered it on line after alot of research. The installation was a full to day of labor so add another 800 to 1k (US) .For it to go well l chose a transmission/ driveline shop that has this LSD installation experience as a core compacity. Not a race shop. Just a transmission and driveline shop. It's a straightforward install. The great thing about the Quaife is its simplicity. No clutches, no exotic lubricants required.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sure. For me, the cost of the Quaife was around 1k US. I ordered it on line after alot of research. The installation was a full to day of labor so add another 800 to 1k (US) .For it to go well l chose a transmission/ driveline shop that has this LSD installation experience as a core compacity. Not a race shop. Just a transmission and driveline shop. It's a straightforward install. The great thing about the Quaife is its simplicity. No clutches, no exotic lubricants required.
Is it something I could attempt myself? I am quite competent with most mechanical things, rebuilt a few motorcycles and do all my own servicing on all our cars, I have a 4 post car lift in my garage.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Funny.
Looks like my garage a bit with a BMW M Coupe, Moto Guzzi Griso and modified Aprilia 500 Scarabo ie scooter. I dont do much of my own wrenching anymore so I would do you a disservice by telling you can do it yourself. I suppose if you have someone providing support with any unique tools needed, then yes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I ask how much this ended up costing you and where did you purchase the diff, would really like to do this mod.
Thanks
it cost me $2300 AUD (includes all tariffs to land here ) and $850 to r and r

in my past i was a qualified mechanic and could so the change over easily BUT you need a hoist to get your diff out then also know how to set up ring gear back lash etc .. so if you can then yep can be done .. as for me i left to to another to have the headache of remove and refit PLUS if anything goes wrong i can fall n back onto them..

very happy with the quality of their work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts