Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all mods,

I have a tricky situation. I would like to lower my SLK (´05 200 Kompressor),
But due to the spacers front, I have only a margin of max 20mm. H&R and Eibach lowers the car 25-30mm, and that is too much. My front tires will then hit the fender.

Rear, it is no problem with lowering 25-30mm.

So, anyone know of lowering kits, that only lowers 20mm?

Should I go for a mixed set, using the 350 lowering springs front? I guess that they are stiffer, so they will not lower as much with the small engine, but then, they might be too stiff to drive with.

Does the SLK have a Spring seat on the front suspension, like on the rear, so it could be possible to lower it 25mm on the spring, and then raise it 5mm using the rubber seat?

·
Registered
225 Posts
My opinion for what it is worth is that a poorly lowered car is PITA. I can not stand a car with a modified suspension.

Either don't do it, or really research all the options, and drive a car lowered in the same manner.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also don't like cars that have been lowered to an extreme, with the tyres dissapearing behind the fenders.

But if you look at this picture, specially the rear tyre looks almost idiotic small in the wheelhouse. So minimising the gap a bit would not hurt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Find out which spring pads your car has from the factory. IIRC, there are 4 different spring pads you can use to add/remove some ride height. Do a search for spring pad part numbers on this forum. They're around somewhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I also don't like cars that have been lowered to an extreme, with the tyres dissapearing behind the fenders.

But if you look at this picture, specially the rear tyre looks almost idiotic small in the wheelhouse. So minimising the gap a bit would not hurt.
That does not look correct. Are the tires in the rear smaller then factory, or has the rear suspension been modified?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does not look correct. Are the tires in the rear smaller then factory, or has the rear suspension been modified?
The rear tires are as defined in the manual. 245/35-R18

The suspension should be stock. I have not checked the pads. Maybe I can lower it just a bit in the rear, by changing them, but that will not be enough.

@Hvy, Yes, your look is what I'm after. The problem is the front, since I have 10mm spacers on. Otherwise, the spokes on the wheel interfere with the brake caliper. But that also mean that the tire is flux with the fender, which means that when the suspension is working hard, the tire will hit the edge of the fender, instead of be on the inside of it.

The ideal would be to lower it 15mm in the front, and 25mm in the rear.

I could clear the fender by adding camber kit on the front, but then I'll get tire wear instead.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Could you get the front wheel arches "rolled" by a bodyshop to give a little more clearance?
I'm not sure exactly how its done but I know its a popular modification to avoid bigger tyres rubbing.
Russ

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you get the front wheel arches "rolled" by a bodyshop to give a little more clearance?
I'm not sure exactly how its done but I know its a popular modification to avoid bigger tyres rubbing.
Russ
Might be a possibility. I´ll have to check out if there are any bodyshops that could do that modification.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Does the SLK have a Spring seat on the front suspension, like on the rear, so it could be possible to lower it 25mm on the spring, and then raise it 5mm using the rubber seat?

I think Mercedes don't have that rubber seats, but . . .

You can make them in Fiber, on a Machine Shop with whatever height you want.

My Audi A6 came with 4 of those when I bought it.
Of course I took them off right away. :grin:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Have a read of the thread below, its my car in the pictures. The front did not lower very much but it is noticeable at the back. You will also need aftermarket camber rods for the back.You then have to get wheel alignment done. I will probably remove my springs and rods and put it back to stock in the next couple of weeks in anticipation of a car change. I was going to put them up for sale here but you can have first refusal if you are interested. I actually prefer the car lowered.
I think H&R are the only springs rated for the 200.

There is also a thread titled Camber which may help

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/28815-another-ejit-asking-about-springs.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Roll your front fenders. Easy fix. When I had my shocks and camber kit installed, I had the shop get out the fender roller and make room for the possibility of lowering later-on... Which I am now going to do.

Other solution? New wheels that fit properly without spacers.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Have a read of the thread below, its my car in the pictures. The front did not lower very much but it is noticeable at the back. You will also need aftermarket camber rods for the back.You then have to get wheel alignment done. I will probably remove my springs and rods and put it back to stock in the next couple of weeks in anticipation of a car change. I was going to put them up for sale here but you can have first refusal if you are interested. I actually prefer the car lowered.
I think H&R are the only springs rated for the 200.

There is also a thread titled Camber which may help

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/28815-another-ejit-asking-about-springs.html
That's exactly the same problem that I have.
I would like to lower the Front 1/2" more. :grin:

I Have Eibach Pro-Kit and they are rated for the SLK(R171) 200K
Ref. E10-25-013-01-22

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
Looking nice.
Why you gave up on 9mm ones?

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I agree with you. Now it looks even.

I have replaced rear shocks with shorter ones for improving handling as well.
Rears were stretching more than I like, now it handles awesome :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts