Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you saw my other thread already about my race wheels/tires. I just got home from my first autocross event with them and they do not rub at all with hard driving, speed bumps, and steep driveways.

Front: 18x8 ET35 Enkei PF01 with Hankook Z214 C71(Soft) 245/35/18
Rear: 18x9 ET35 Enkei PF01 with Hankook Z214 C91(VerySoft) 275/35/18

My car is also lowered with Eibach Pro Kit springs.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should note that I had to take off the stick-on "pig ear" flaps on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OK OK, thanks for the tire info. Now get to the good stuff. How did the car feel first time out with the tune & tires?

Grip?

Torque?

Understeer?

I went back and forth with Jerry at EuroCharged a few times over the past week because I was getting some hesitation at low speeds with the initial tune and he eventually sent me a second file. The low end torque is now what I would term brutal. I mean tire shredding brutal. Not the subtle change I was expecting. And the hesitation is gone. Response is immediate.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grip: There's no other way to describe it other than "F***ing brilliant!" In 4 runs, I went faster and faster and never found the limit of the grip. The car just held on, even when going much faster than I ever went with street tires.

Torque: Honestly, I'm not sure if I can tell any difference at WOT with the tune.

Understeer: None. Never had any issue with understeer to begin with, though.

See for yourself in the video:

Notice how the car just turns and turns with no roll.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think after I wear out the tires on my OEM AMG wheels, I'll get another set of these Enkeis and mount 245/275 Dunlop Z2s on them for the road. I love the look of these wheels and wide tires on my car. Looks properly aggressive, yet tasteful.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Hi Mark,
Could you take a snapshot or report otherwise about the play you have left between the Eibach spring and the sidewall of the rear wheel on collapse? To my calculations there is only about 5 mm left (about 1/4") which would mean that an ET towards 40 would not fit with these parameters.

You've taken the 9.0" rim with the 275 that is 10 mm out of its comfort zone. I would think that with a 9.5" the tire would fit better but it does have influence on the backspace of wheel that will increase with 6mm. If that's not there the ET40 would solve that, but as you state that you already had to take off the rear 'flaps', there seems also no room to move 6mm to the outside. Which would lead to the conclusion that 275 on 9.0 is really the max. Even 275 on 9.5 (or bigger) would already be impossible.

So if you could take a look back there ....

Thanks,
Roland

For the calculations go: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already reached behind the wheel on collapse. There really is VERY little room behind the wheel at collapse. Maybe slightly more than 5mm, it was just enough to squeeze one finger in.

By my calculation, 9.5 wheel ET40 would be 1mm closer in from the outside by 5mm tighter on the inside. I think it might JUST fit as long as you don't jack the rear up too much and extend the suspension too much. PropDr has fit a 285 Nitto tire on a 9.5 wheel at 42.5 custom offset. So, I think there's room.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

PropDr had 285/30/18 not 285/35/18 and his set up is different. He has Bilstein with H&R's (I reckon that will give him about 35 mm drop), and he shaved some on the inside and rolled the fender a little with a flapper wheel ...

In the end he went back to the 275/35/18 (on 9.5") with an ET40 but since the shaving and rolling was already done ...

I'll post my results in the wheels thread as soon as they are in. Thanks for your patience.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because of the way the ears are designed, they go inward from the bumper into the wheel well. When the suspension compresses, the tire just barely hits it on the inside. With the ears removed, the tire clears the bumper by a few mm.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's their reason for that?
This is the best picture I have to show why. Hard to see in this angle but the tire is less than 1mm from touching the stick on flap.

This also shows how the tire tucks neatly inside the rear wheel well under compression, even though it pokes past the body by 1mm at normal stance.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm seriously considering buying a second set of these wheels for street use. Maybe 245/265 just to be a little more conservative for the road. They really are the best of all worlds. They look awesome, aggressive yet refined. They're super light (under 20lbs each.) And they're relatively cheap compared to other quality lightweight wheels.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I've been looking at these wheels a while now too, so this thread is probably going to push me over the edge on doing it. Love the look of them! I probably won't be quite as aggressive on the tire side of things since I am currently running stock 225/245 now with stock suspension on the 16 spoke AMG wheels. I'd like to get a little more rubber in the back so it sounds like 255 or even 265 should fit well on these wheels without fear of rubbing. That sound right?

Thanks for posting this!
Dave.

·
Registered
148 Posts
See for yourself in the video:

Notice how the car just turns and turns with no roll.
WHAT???? No Golden Earring playing on the radio?

I remember back in the 80's I did some SCCA in southern Florida with my Fiero. I have a couple dash plaques and trophies stashed somewhere. Those were the good old days. :tu:

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been looking at these wheels a while now too, so this thread is probably going to push me over the edge on doing it. Love the look of them! I probably won't be quite as aggressive on the tire side of things since I am currently running stock 225/245 now with stock suspension on the 16 spoke AMG wheels. I'd like to get a little more rubber in the back so it sounds like 255 or even 265 should fit well on these wheels without fear of rubbing. That sound right?

Thanks for posting this!
Dave.
Mine is about an inch lower than yours (1/4 inch from performance pack and another 3/4 inch from eibach springs.) I fit 245/35/18 in front and 275/35/18 in the back, so anything smaller should fit just fine for you. Normal front size is 225/40 but the 245/35 is almost the same overall diameter as a 225/40. Going with 235/40 or 245/40 in front may not fit because of the taller diameter.

When you buy tires though, make sure you look at all the specs closely. Sometimes, there isn't much difference in width between 255s and 265s but the overall diameter might be very different.

For example, TireRack lists 265/35/18 Michelin Super Sports as 10.1" tread width and 275/35/18 as 10.0", with the 275 being slightly taller and overall wider, but with less tread width.

For the street, I'd suggest 225/40 & 255/35 or 245/35 & 265/35 if you like it wide. You should be able to keep the rear bumper flaps on with 255 or 265s too.

By the way, I am very jealous of your color. I love Caspian Blue.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WHAT???? No Golden Earring playing on the radio?

I remember back in the 80's I did some SCCA in southern Florida with my Fiero. I have a couple dash plaques and trophies stashed somewhere. Those were the good old days. :tu:
This was playing :rb

Not really, but you can bet I will pull up to the starter with this playing next weekend!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

Thanks for posting this!
Dave.
One can fit 255/35-18 on the OEM 16-spoke AMG rims without any problems. These are more readily available than 245's, as other makes (e.g., BMW) has the 225 fronts and 255 rears as standard, ergo, most tire shops have these sizes on stock.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Thanks!

Mine is about an inch lower than yours (1/4 inch from performance pack and another 3/4 inch from eibach springs.) I fit 245/35/18 in front and 275/35/18 in the back, so anything smaller should fit just fine for you. Normal front size is 225/40 but the 245/35 is almost the same overall diameter as a 225/40. Going with 235/40 or 245/40 in front may not fit because of the taller diameter.

When you buy tires though, make sure you look at all the specs closely. Sometimes, there isn't much difference in width between 255s and 265s but the overall diameter might be very different.

For example, TireRack lists 265/35/18 Michelin Super Sports as 10.1" tread width and 275/35/18 as 10.0", with the 275 being slightly taller and overall wider, but with less tread width.

For the street, I'd suggest 225/40 & 255/35 or 245/35 & 265/35 if you like it wide. You should be able to keep the rear bumper flaps on with 255 or 265s too.

By the way, I am very jealous of your color. I love Caspian Blue.
Thanks for the information. I've always stayed pretty much stock on my tires because I don't really know much about them. Learning slowlyly though and will be getting new wheels and tires soon.

Took me a while to find the Caspian blue one. I've never seen another one in person which I kind of enjoy. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.