Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering lowering my slk55. I know the stock 55 is about 1inch lower than a non-amg slk. Have those with lowered slk55 had a lot of problems with scraping the front spoiler on driveways, etc. My SL was lowered but I could lift it with a push of the button so I've gotten lazy. I can always modify my driving a bit to compensate, but I wanted some real life input from the pros....thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The SLK 55 w 030 is almost impossible to not scratch the front bumper. I've replaced it twice in 20,000 miles.

It would look good but be a pain in the behind (IMO)

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I've got used to mine its not an 030 but maybe next year I will install a full coilover setup and take it to the F1 Track in bahrain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Most driveways I can manage by going at them at an angle, but there's are a few parking structures that I frequent that are just too narrow so I have to go at them straight on. OH well......

jfsully - is the 030 a tad lower than a non 030 '55. thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well after I post that reply I see that you have commented on my thread already lol but yes I dont really have a problem of scraping the front lip!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm considering lowering my slk55. I know the stock 55 is about 1inch lower than a non-amg slk. Have those with lowered slk55 had a lot of problems with scraping the front spoiler on driveways, etc. My SL was lowered but I could lift it with a push of the button so I've gotten lazy. I can always modify my driving a bit to compensate, but I wanted some real life input from the pros....thanks.
I had lowered my car. I didn't find scraping the front bumper to be the main problem. Going through dips in the road (and tracking my car) the suspension would compress to the point where my front wheels were digging into the plastic of the wheelwell. The allows water, etc. to get into the engine compartment, etc.

So I ended raising my SLK55 back up somewhat when I had new wheelwell covers put in. My coilovers use linear springs, so the ride smoothly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. This is exactly the practical input I was looking for.
IIIMBPIII - I've seen you evil car in a prior post....you're a very BAD influence....your wheels look fantastic. The ride is a tab lower than my preference but looks great nevertheless.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IIIMBPIII - I've seen you evil car in a prior post....you're a very BAD influence....your wheels look fantastic. The ride is a tab lower than my preference but looks great nevertheless.

:p I too thought it was too low at first but I shaved down the brackets in the front wheel well which you will need to do either way if you lower you car and everything is fine! I find myself driving more careful hell which is a bad thing! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
I've lowered my car as low as practically possible on stock wheels, with as wide as possible tires, and i have no problems with rubbing at high speed at this time.

Front bumper scraping is easily avoided by modifying driving, but every so often I'll find a garage or driveway i can't get into without scraping, in which case i just park somewhere else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My SLK55 has the 030 package and honestly, it's already low enough for me. The suspension is already a touch firmer than a standard 55 AMG and probably because of that, I just don't see any reason to lower it further. To me it looks fine. I've not had any issues with scratching anything, but then again I've gotten used to being careful with that sorta thing. My other car is dropped about 2 inches at all four corners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have a lowered verion by Brabus, and while I like the aggressive look, it makes my commute on interstates and tollways a bit nerve racking! Not to mention local potholes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.