Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided tro forgo looking for a 55 AMG after seeing some of the cars on offer and fell for a lovely SLK 350 with 62400 on the clock, do I look for the usual faults or are there any specific to this model. Comments please before test drive tomorrow.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
what year is 350?

·
94,173 Posts

·
6007.us
2,620 Posts
Key is the engine number on the datacard. If equipped with M272 Engine Up to Serial No. 2729..30 468993 it could have a problem. Over that it has the new design. Issue usually surfaces between 50k and 100k miles. As Jeff mentioned, 55's have the M113 engine which does not have the issue (IMNSHO the M112/M113 is one of the most reliable engines Merc produced even if somewhat primitive by today's standards).

For most similar cars with a balance shaft, a timing chain and sprockets is a morning's work but for some unknown reason the 272/273 has a bolt under the flywheel you cannot get to with the transmission attached so is simplest to pull the engine.

·
94,173 Posts
There are no figures what percentage is affected.
As in that thread, engine range is large, like 460000 engines because MB did not know when the issue began as far as 'bad' part used.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your decision to forgo the 55, I'm 63 and for me, it was a question of if not now, then when? All too soon I know that I will reach a point where getting into and out of such low slung cars will not be so easy to do, and the decision to switch back to a taller vehicle becomes mandatory.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had the test drive in the 350, pleased with most aspects of the car. However, on braking from (lets say 100mph) a serious wheel wobble was noticeable, could this be down to ball joints, brakes etc.? Should this be an easy fix? Asking price for this car is £6900. Regards all

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!!

Hope for Many, many miles of smiles!

Oops, a small amount premature, well, eventually this one or another one, congratulations are in order.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Just had the test drive in the 350, pleased with most aspects of the car. However, on braking from (lets say 100mph) a serious wheel wobble was noticeable, could this be down to ball joints, brakes etc.? Should this be an easy fix? Asking price for this car is £6900. Regards all
So is this a private sale or a dealer. If its a dealer then get them to fix it before sale. In my case (SLK55) it was due to front disks which for a 55 are very expensive, not so expensive for a 350.

You broke the speed limit? tut tut...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on checking MOT Test history there's an advisory for ball joints, hence the question. everything else works fine, discs have a very small lip, so cant see it being the brakes,. had a similar problem on one of my Jags and it turned out to be a bush.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG Silver
1,640 Posts
Did you phone me about my 55?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts