Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. Can anyone help me, I need to remove the lower front grill from my 250 cdi AMG sport, to fit the AMG 55 lower bumper cover panel, I've looked but can't work it out. Any ideas would be helpful as I am sure I will end up breaking something
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well that's a deathly silence..
I guess I will apply the 'Tug & Hope' technique on Saturday..and maybe order a new lower grill on Monday..

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,286 Posts
They might be saying it is under warranty so why you doing it? :D

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I have not removed the grille per se from this model, but the principle will no doubt be the same for most plastic bumper fittings: a combination of lugs and pins!

Have a look at this:
MERCEDES BENZ SLK AMG SPORT R172 FRONT BUMPER *GENUINE MERCEDES PART* [Y] |

You will see that the bumper has a series of inward facing lugs that look to me like they clip into spring clips in the grille which in turn needs to be pushed inwards. Try to identify where these are and their formation. There will be an obvious way of unspringing the clips - maybe a slotted screw driver at the back to open them.

Also, have a careful look around the edge and see if there are any little pin heads holding the grill in. If there are, then these need to be pushed out from behind to release the whole pin.

I am afraid I am away from my car for the weekend, but if you get no where, I will look at mine on Monday for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The 7 inward facing tabs with a hole in are where you plastic rivit the AMG panel to and the lower tabs are where you clip the underside of it. ( all AMG Sport bumpers are the same as the 55's ) I should pick this panel up from MB later today so might have a poke around the lower grill with a plastic pry tool to try and locate it's fixing points.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought. The grill doesn't have to actually be removed but somehow I've got to get access to the fixings behind it?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
Just a thought. The grill doesn't have to actually be removed but somehow I've got to get access to the fixings behind it?
Just turn the Mercedes Star a quarter turn counter-clock wise and it will come out.
That will give you plenty of room to get your arm behind the grill (unless you are Popeye "The Sailor Man" :wink:).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi buddy. There is no space to get down to the lower grill from the 'star' hole. There seems to be polystyrene that is fixed in place? I have no idea what is below that?

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Hi buddy. There is no space to get down to the lower grill from the 'star' hole. There seems to be polystyrene that is fixed in place? I have no idea what is below that?
Thats the crash impact stuff, you want it there. The only way would be from the underside of the car or removal of the front bumper all together (sounds worse than it is). Park the car with two wheels on a curb so you get under it. Or better: jack it up to see if you can access the grill this way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies. I have tried pretty much every angle to get behind that pesky lower grill. I am sure it's going to be a bumper off job! I will have one more try after lunch. :|

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.