Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member 2011 SLK200
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the consideration of the car or the consideration of the passengers that sets the first limit for driving with the roof down (at low temperatures)? I think people are throwing in the towel and withdraw first. What is the lowest temperature limit that one should not use the mechanism to lower the roof (in order to avoid overloading the mechanism)? Attaching image from our wonderful topless roatrip today, where the temperature varied between -6 degrees Celsius and -10 degrees Celsius. Beautiful blue sky and nice winter roads 馃槑

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Temp may vary from model to model, but is listed in the manual.

Those temps are below what I 'think' is recommended.

However, if stored in garage, car warmed up etc I use personal judgement.

Clear sky, Star lit (with/without moonlight) and a night time cruise is a beautiful thing.

Just need to convince passenger.

Or go his 'n hers cars

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
From my (2012 SLK55) manual (you can check yours):
The outside temperature is above+5o F(鈭15o C).You could otherwise damage....

Discussion Starter #4
Temp may vary from model to model, but is listed in the manual.

Those temps are below what I 'think' is recommended.

However, if stored in garage, car warmed up etc I use personal judgement.

Clear sky, Star lit (with/without moonlight) and a night time cruise is a beautiful thing.

Just need to convince passenger.

Or go his 'n hers cars
I think just like you. If one uses a heated garage and one takes up and down the roof there, then I am not anxious at all. Will also add that Mercedes often sets limits in relation to many different features with good margin. It is natural for them to do so to avoid complaints and charges in warranty cases. That is why I think not all boundaries are really absolute, but as you kind of write, you have to use your head (the challenge here is that everyone owns different heads o_O ). I think as long as one uses the mechanism in plus degrees Celcius, in other words hotter than the freezing point, I dare not think it is a problem. In the hanbook of mye 2011 R172 it says it has to be above - 15 degrees Celcius to raise or lower the roof. That means I've been well within the limits Mercedes has put under the conditions we drove today. Of course it is important that there is not too much water that has frozen in transitions and joints on the roof, if you do this in such cold conditions. I think a lot also depends on how well the mechanism and rubber moldings etc. are maintained, so that there is as little resistance at all different contact points and moving parts as possible ;)

Nice to be blessed with a well motivated passenger who are not afraid of open driving in low temperatures :love:

From my (2012 SLK55) manual (you can check yours):
-150 degrees Celcius is very cold :eek:. It is not recorded as low temperatures on earth, based on my knowledge. Assuming it is a zero too much, because I can read it have to be above - 15 degrees Celcius in my handbook :)

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
-150 degrees Celcius is very cold :eek:. It is not recorded as low temperatures on earth, based on my knowledge. Assuming it is a zero too much, because I can read it have to be above - 15 degrees Celcius in my handbook :)
Silly boy. I can't do a superscript for degrees so I use a little o 馃槈

Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@LatinViking.......-5 to -10 degrees with the roof down.......you sir are A brave man! 馃槆

(I was topless this morning but the temperature here in the uk was a tropical 1 degree 馃サ)
Thanks. I am born and raised in a glacier up north, so for me it is not that tough 鉀. It is far tougher for my better half who was born and raised in tropical climates and who enjoy the trip even at such temperatures :love:

Lucky you who have t shirt weather :)

Premium Member 2013 SLK350
Here in Beantown, it is a cold (30-35F) but very sunny day. Tomorrow, however, we begin a predicted 3-day snow storm... so its going to be real winter for a few days. My SLK will be riding the pine in the garage for the forseeable future... tried top down at 33F today but found it way too cold due to the wind chill.... so back to top up real quick... I salute those of you able to survive such cold temp with the roof down...

Discussion Starter #10
Here in Beantown, it is a cold (30-35F) but very sunny day. Tomorrow, however, we begin a predicted 3-day snow storm... so its going to be real winter for a few days. My SLK will be riding the pine in the garage for the forseeable future... tried top down at 33F today but found it way too cold due to the wind chill.... so back to top up real quick... I salute those of you able to survive such cold temp with the roof down...
Beantown, Boston I guess. Hope the weather is kind to you and does not give you more than you can take. Here in Norway, we say that snow is perfectly fine, if it can fall finished shoveled ;)

Discussion Starter #12
Like here on the Fluelapass on my last roadtrip. Good thing it has a V8 heater;)
Expect that the image and place you mention are in the Alps. Then I guess you have some km to get to the winter mountains. What does your manual say about the lowest temperature to raise / lower the roof? Do you put any extra weight in the trunk/boot when driving on winter roads?

Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
My manual says it must be above -15 degrees celsius (5 degrees fahrenheit) to open the top. It was a long drive there to Switzerland yes. As it happens the trunk was fully loaded because of the luggage. Would that make much of a difference?

Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My manual says it must be above -15 degrees celsius (5 degrees fahrenheit) to open the top. It was a long drive there to Switzerland yes. As it happens the trunk was fully loaded because of the luggage. Would that make much of a difference?
Ok, then Mercedes Benz has set the same recommended cold limit on your R171 as on my R172. I usually put some weights in the room where some has the spare tire in the winter. I have weight and sandbag of about 100 kg total , and I try to have at least half fuel tank, if I have to run on very icy winter conditions with slopes. Extra weight behind makes, as you probably know, that one gets better ground pressure on the rear tires, which means better friction and traction. It can make the difference that you are left to spin, without moving forward, instead of being able to pry yourself on. This of course applies special when it is very icy and slippery. On dry snow, it does not do so much, but even then it will make some difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts