Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just recently installed a low miles engine in my SLK after it been handed down to me the previous engine is toasted from the previous owner. After I installed the engine the nightmare begins. First I had a crank no start trouble shoot the problem wasn't getting a spark signal to the coils, the coils are getting 12 volts with key on then replaced the crank & Cam sensor engine tried to show sign of life after several attempts the engine started up and ran flawless until rev past 2K it will start to sputter. But the issue is when cranking the engine over I'm getting spark and fuel but engine wont run. Could it be a knock sensor ? or does the car need to be re-flash or am I missing something ?. The car is a 98 SLK 230.

Thanks in advance,

Doombugie

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
I guess you do not have a code scanner?

Even a cheap one can pull the basic codes, so with just $15 you could get one.

It will be much easier for people to help.

Best Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already check... no codes or CEL popped up. That why I resulted to the forum for other ideas what it could be.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,330 Posts
Hi guys I just recently installed a low miles engine in my SLK after it been handed down to me the previous engine is toasted from the previous owner. After I installed the engine the nightmare begins. First I had a crank no start trouble shoot the problem wasn't getting a spark signal to the coils, the coils are getting 12 volts with key on then replaced the crank & Cam sensor engine tried to show sign of life after several attempts the engine started up and ran flawless until rev past 2K it will start to sputter. But the issue is when cranking the engine over I'm getting spark and fuel but engine wont run. Could it be a knock sensor ? or does the car need to be re-flash or am I missing something ?. The car is a 98 SLK 230.

Thanks in advance,

Doombugie
I may be having a bad day but I have read your original post a couple of times and I'm left confused. Does the engine run or not? You state that it runs well up to 2,000 RPM, but then you state it doesn't run.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Equally confused. However, if the engine does in fact run "flawlessly" until around 2ooo rpms, then starts to sputter, could this be a turbo boost problem? I have a 171 but I think (bc I don't not KNOW) that all the 170s have turbos on them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.