Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So driving in the snow when suddenly both the check engine light comes on and the low fuel light start blinking. I have over half a tank. I scan the codes using my coworkers scanner (and its stack of adapters) and get this-

So what do I do?
OBD2 scan show this-

Also I got this question? Because it dont know what ecu it is? All show the same codes

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,286 Posts
ecu is electronic control unit

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already knew of the thermostat since it warms up idle and cools super fast to min while driving. I ordered it a week ago from Bumper to Bumper, but all this snow has their warehouses and night drivers shut down.:cry: but it wasn't throwing the CEL.

·
103,286 Posts

·
103,286 Posts
From Ed (efair) have you filled up the tank recently? check the fuel cap :D

It sounds like the code was cleared but the condition that gave rise to the code wasn't. I fixed this code on my other (non-MB 1997) car. Here's some background info I discovered: The charcoal canister stores fumes off the top of your fuel tank and must be periodically "purged" of these stored fumes (or else the fumes accumulate in the canister to the point of saturation). Generally, to purge the canister, air is drawn into the engine through the canister and the stored fumes are simply sucked into the engine and burned. The canister is purged under computer control by use of an electrically operated valve, and during the purge cycle, the computer "watches" for key indications that the purge is actually working... the thought being if it's not working, your fumes are likely polluting the air. Your car's running fine, just polluting the air. The computer can "watch" this process in many ways -- O2 sensor changes due to fuel-laden air being drawn in, or by measuring the vacuum being drawn. Frequently the air is drawn through the fuel tank and the vacuum in the gas tank is what the computer "watches". That's why a bad fuel cap will often trigger this code -- the computer doesn't see the desired vacuum.
The purge valve in my other car was in-line between the canister and the intake manifold, and is supposed to be normally closed. I removed the electrical and vacuum lines and tested it with a hand-held vaccum pump -- I confirmed it was not truly "closed" when it was disconnected; I replaced the valve and cleared the codes, and it never came back.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
954 Posts
The car has detected that either your sensor (or its wiring) is faulty or you have mayor evap leakage meaning your tank does not build pressure.
If your gas cap was not closed correctly this would be the code.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
103,286 Posts
or the rubber seal around the gas cap is dried out...

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The car has detected that either your sensor (or its wiring) is faulty or you have mayor evap leakage meaning your tank does not build pressure.
If your gas cap was not closed correctly this would be the code.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
There always pressure released when I open it.
20210218_120651.jpg
From Ed (efair) have you filled up the tank recently? check the fuel cap :D

It sounds like the code was cleared but the condition that gave rise to the code wasn't. I fixed this code on my other (non-MB 1997) car. Here's some background info I discovered: The charcoal canister stores fumes off the top of your fuel tank and must be periodically "purged" of these stored fumes (or else the fumes accumulate in the canister to the point of saturation). Generally, to purge the canister, air is drawn into the engine through the canister and the stored fumes are simply sucked into the engine and burned. The canister is purged under computer control by use of an electrically operated valve, and during the purge cycle, the computer "watches" for key indications that the purge is actually working... the thought being if it's not working, your fumes are likely polluting the air. Your car's running fine, just polluting the air. The computer can "watch" this process in many ways -- O2 sensor changes due to fuel-laden air being drawn in, or by measuring the vacuum being drawn. Frequently the air is drawn through the fuel tank and the vacuum in the gas tank is what the computer "watches". That's why a bad fuel cap will often trigger this code -- the computer doesn't see the desired vacuum.
The purge valve in my other car was in-line between the canister and the intake manifold, and is supposed to be normally closed. I removed the electrical and vacuum lines and tested it with a hand-held vaccum pump -- I confirmed it was not truly "closed" when it was disconnected; I replaced the valve and cleared the codes, and it never came back.
Would i check the top one by the engine? Or the one by the charcoal box? Alldata says these are both purge valves. The one by the engine pulled and held a vacuum on the going to engine side, I tried to vacuum the line itself going to the valve and got nothing.

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleared the codes yesterday and now its just a blinking low fuel when I'm at 1/2 a tank

Reactions: jbanks15

·
103,286 Posts
just a suggestion techron cleans fuel gauges sensor

Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner/Injector Cleaner
Exclusive Synthetic Formula. Whether protecting your new valuable investment, restoring your used car to its original performance, or simply keeping your engine as clean as it can be, Techron Concentrate Plus delivers a number of unsurpassed benefits and one unique benefit - the ability to eliminate faulty fuel gauge readings. Techron Concentrate Plus can help:
RESTORE
• Fuel efficiency
• Operation of broken fuel gauge sensors
• Lost power and improve drivability
CLEAN
Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sensors
• Combustion chambers, intake valves, and ports
PREVENT
• Engine knocks and pings, spark plug fouling and cold start issues
Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive electronic fuel sending units
PROTECT
Fuel gauge from malfunctioning by coating all metal surfaces of the car's fuel system.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,510 Posts
The EVAP/ORVR system on these cars is difficult to diagnose even with SDS. The valve in the engine area is the "purge valve", the valve by the canister is the "shutoff valve". Don't use non-OEM replacements for the purge valve. Parts darts isn't usually my first choice, but if I were you, I would replace your filler cap seal and purge valve first thing.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,782 Posts
With Engine warmed up and running do you hear almost continuous "Tick Tick Tick" from the under Bonnet CAN Purge Solenoid Valve ?

If so it is working and getting correct signal from ECU.

If so, disconnect the Pipe to the Canister at the Solenoid, now pipe a Vac Pump / Gauge tester to the Solenoid, ("Mity Vac Test Kit" is good for this and much else on MB's) ......... Are you getting Vacuum as it goes tick tick tick, if so Solenoid is OK.

Next follow the pipe under the Car to it's Connection near the canister, block one end and make sure it holds a Vacuum from the other end, if so pipework from front to rear is good, then you are down to a few shorter pipe lengths in the rear area, or Canister itself, perhaps of course the Fuel Cap Seal but ya shoulda ruled that out first ;)

It isn't rocket science, just need to get in there and get dirty ;)

HTH ;)

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could this have been it? It was broke. The yellow line. Whats it even for? The clear hose is what I used to patch it

Also this hose keeps popping off. The one with the yellow connector.

·
103,286 Posts
why are there no hose clamps on both sides of that yellow connector?

·
* Registered
1998 SLK230 R170
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why are there no hose clamps on both sides of that yellow connector?
For the black tubeing? Don't know why. It elbows off that big one so I dont think there's room on that side. That's the tubing that comes from that black box on the left top of the engine.

·
103,286 Posts
yes...black tubing...the ends of that connector will not stay on with no clamps

·
103,286 Posts
Vii7, so if the 'ridges' holding on those tubes are worn down, clamps are never used, just replace the connection?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts