Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Would you consider the SLK 250 a "low entry Mercedes"?

My Indy mechanic told me that the 250 doesn't have a good engine, lacks power and it's not smoooth because it has 4 cylinders. He went on about how he wouldn't buy it unless it's the SLK 350 with 6 cylinders. That kinda made me feel bad.
I don't regret it but wish I have gotten the 350 :|

(Edit:- US only has a petrol 250. Other markets also have a 250 diesel)

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts

My Indy mechanic told me that the 250 doesn't have a good engine, lacks power and it's not smoooth because it has 4 cylinders. He went on about how he wouldn't buy it unless it's the SLK 350 with 6 cylinders. That kinda made me feel bad.
Hello. @Melania. Follows is a copy of your second ever post to the forum.

LOVE My SLK!

Hello! I just got my SLK 250 2014, sport package in Polar White with Bengal Red/Black interior and I'm so in love with it

Attached Thumbnails

How dare your Indy criticise your pride and joy. They would now be my ex-indy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gave me that lecture after installed the motor and engine mounts because I told him I could still feel a little vibration. He goes on about how a 4 cylinders engine will never be as smooth as a 6 cylinders.

I thought all SLKs were 'low entry' - I really struggle to get out of mine............
Frankly, if he's dissin your car I wouldn't go back.
Or was he after selling you something else?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaawwww thanks @MartinatMersea :smile:

I still love my car and feel very blessed to have it. I was taken back by what my Indy said.

Hello. @Melania. Follows is a copy of your second ever post to the forum.

LOVE My SLK!
Hello! I just got my SLK 250 2014, sport package in Polar White with Bengal Red/Black interior and I'm so in love with it

Attached Thumbnails

How dare your Indy criticise your pride and joy. They would now be my ex-indy.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts

Your Indy is not the most knowledgable about MB cars, now is he? Bcos the SLK250 which retails at the mid-$50K range (when properly attired) in no way can be described "low entry MB"... There is a bunch of MB cars starting at the mid-$30K price point, and way way below any SLK.

Your 250 is a well-made, well tuned, peppy 4-banger that can hold its own against any car of its size and power. With freeway speed limits, you won't be drag racing anyway, so the car is in its elements. A v6/v8 is for those power-hungry dudes/dudettes who are into such stuff (me included) and its nothing against the 250...

Tell your Indy to go pound sand for what his opinion is worth...

·
Super Moderator
24,876 Posts
Any garage, Indy or not, that disses your car without reason (ie something broken) is not to be revisited.

All our SLK/Cs are special.
We have a whole active forum dedicated to them.

If your car makes you smile then it's the right car.

Have you googled the reputation of that garage?
Wonder if that is a common statement.

I hope the 200 owners dodge him like a cowpat.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,966 Posts
I would show this thread to your (ex) indy just to prove he's WRONG. >:D

He's setting you up now so he can empty your wallet later.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the shop on google and deal with a lot of high end german cars that's why I went there. Awesome reviews. I guess he isn't a fan of my 4 cylinders, 201 horsepower beauty :smile:

Any garage, Indy or not, that disses your car without reason (ie something broken) is not to be revisited.

All our SLK/Cs are special.
We have a whole active forum dedicated to them.

If your car makes you smile then it's the right car.

Have you googled the reputation of that garage?
Wonder if that is a common statement.

I hope the 200 owners dodge him like a cowpat.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
I found the shop on google and deal with a lot of high end german cars that's why I went there. Awesome reviews. I guess he isn't a fan of my 4 cylinders, 201 horsepower beauty :smile:
If you have a six cylinder car it wouldn't be as good as an eight cylinder one, and that would be complete rubbish compared to a ten cylinder car and if you had that the guy in the V12 would just look down his nose at you. :grin:

My company car is a 1.4 litre four cylinder petrol that runs on two cylinders when it requires less power. It is as smooth as a smooth thing from smooth land.

Do you like it?
Drive it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
@Melania,
You have a great car in an even better colour combination (but I would say that:grin:)and It is in no way a low entry Mercedes.
When mine goes in for service I get an old shape A class as a courtesy car. If you want a low entry Mercedes then look at one of those (sorry to anyone who owns one but they are entry level)
An SLK of any generation is no way a low entry mercedes and is also a lot better than all of its competitors, I should know I’ve driven a couple of 170s and owned a 171 and 172 and owned / driven many of its competitors.
I don’t know what the 250 is like having never driven one but I was speaking to windinmyhair the other week who was singing the praises of the 250 so as far I’m concerned it must be good!
Look at this way, some people are jealous of us owning such an amazing Mercedes so will come up with any excuse to rubbish them to make themselves feel better. I bet if he had the chance your Indy would jump at the chance of owning one:wink::grin:
To me he sounds like a rugby player.........a right Flanker (or something like that>:D)

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts

Well yes of course the V6/V8 is better to us who are lucky enough to own them, but then so is the SL AMG 63 and the MB AMG S class cabriolet for that matter...
...and the V6 & V8 models are like caged greyhounds a lot of the time over here in the UK :frown:

As others have said, the SLK R172/250 is not entry level - just fantastic value for money what You get :tu:

·
Registered
20 Posts
4 cyl SLK/C s are fantastic. It is my daily commute and weekend fun car. For my needs (80 miles a day, 95% highway), gets about 35MPG on highway and more fun on 2 lanes. Great looking, fairly easy maintenance, well equipped, been extremely reliable.
Drive it and enjoy it.
Paul

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,966 Posts
...and let's stay on topic, please.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts