Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those with factory SC cars. I did an low cost mod on my SLK32.

I took the inter cooler hose connection from the bottom of the radiator surge tank. I plugged it off at the bottom of the tank. I then turned the TEE that fed it up. I then capped off the two small hoses that also connected the inter cooler water to the engine 196' water.

Then went to an local lawn mower / tractor shop. I saw an commercial walk behind that had an small about 4" X 4" plastic surge tank for the hydraulic system. I installed it where it was higher than the bottom of the SC. I hooked it to the up turned TEE. NO LONGER HAD 196' WATER TO COOL DOWN AN AIR CHARGE. Prior to adding the cold air intake I had the surge tank back by the battery. Total cost of less than $100.:wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
So... I'm trying to get this sorted in my head.

You are separating the charge air cooler system from the regular coolant system?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I separated the inter cooler coolant from the engine cooling system.

I never understood the logic of trying to cool the charge air with 196' engine coolant.

Cold air is more dense, makes more power.

Same reason we go to cold air intakes.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Yes, I separated the inter cooler coolant from the engine cooling system.

I never understood the logic of trying to cool the charge air with 196' engine coolant.
It appears, based on the diagram below, that the coolant is being pulled from the main reservoir and passes through the charge air cooler and then into the intercooler. so by the time the coolant gets into the intercooler, it may be only 100*. I can see how this would be no different than if you just capped off the reservoir (like you did).

I have no evidence to support this. but these guys may?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1571632-i-dont-understand-coolant-overflow-bottle.html

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My reservoir is not pressurized, it is just an surge tank with vented cap. I got it at an local mower / tractor shop, I think less than $50. I have it so when heat builds and cools it can expand and contract. I fill the little tank to about 50% for that reason. We are not on high boost 100% of the time, so the heat exchanger (intercooler) is not being worked to the max all the time. When not on forced induction, the system is bringing the coolant temp back down. If we had an sensor in the system, the log would show this.

I spent my professional life on heat recovery and removing heat from plastics process. The faster you can remove heat with out adding stress, the faster cycle. It is all about process improvement.

If I was to track my car, I would be running an much larger intercooler, and or using an ice cooled system. The other option would to build an system and run an minimum of 125 PSI to induce an turbulent flow through the intercooler system, it would cool much better.

Wow,
I just found your post "Turdo2" on another Benz site , where someone else did the same as I did. So much for me being an original thinker. His looks like an factory system! Sick minds think like. His looks much neater than mine, but I don't need to remove the cap to see the level.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed to a pressure tank. The first tank pushed coolant out through the vent in the cap.

I ordered a Dorman # 603-301 It required some mods to fit. Had to cut a bottom leg brace from the tank as well as use a heat gun. It required me to deform the bottom so I could lower it to clear the hood. So far all is well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts