Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
* Registered
Mercedes SLK230 1997 Auto, AMG body kit
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always considered the original air intake rather small with a tight bend that I'm sure restricts airflow! After I'd finished my maf relocation I had a section of the facelift intake pipe left over, also in my box of parts I had a facelift air box coupling so started to play around until I achieved the right angle to fit the space available. The result is a larger, free flowing intake picking up air from the lower grill (which isn't as restricted as the top grill). The pipe runs down through the chassis rail just behind the headlamp, the car seems to pull stronger and makes for a smoother drive. So far no problems with water ingress even though I've hit some pretty wet weather. Should work for the facelift as well. Thought it might be worth sharing!

·
* Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've always considered the air intake rather small with a tight bend that I'm sure restricts airflow! After I'd finished my maf reposition I had a section of the facelift intake pipe left over, I found in my box of parts a facelift air box coupling and started to play around until I achieved the right angle. The result is a larger, free flowing intake picking up air from the lower grill (which isn't as restricted as the top grill). The pipe runs down through the chassis rail just behind the headlamp, the car seems to respond quicker and make for a smoother drive. So far no problems with water ingress even though I've hit some pretty wet weather. Thought it might be worth sharing! Pics

Attachments

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
170 Posts
That's a nice clean solution to a issue Mercedes seemed to overlook, for some reason they really did their best to limit the performance of the 2.3 kompressor engines so much more power to be had from these engines. I dare say this after lifting our cylinder head again 🤣 good work though nice clean looks factory 😁

·
* Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a nice clean solution to a issue Mercedes seemed to overlook, for some reason they really did their best to limit the performance of the 2.3 kompressor engines so much more power to be had from these engines. I dare say this after lifting our cylinder head again 🤣 good work though nice clean looks factory 😁
Appreciate your comments, always looking for easy solutions to improve what is a great car albeit with a few niggles!

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
170 Posts
Oh they are indeed great cars with many niggles but when they do work right they are so much fun, especially with 300hp 😉 well when we don't break it. The M111 such a underrated engine so capable and a good serviced one will see you well past 200k miles

·
* Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh they are indeed great cars with many niggles but when they do work right they are so much fun, especially with 300hp 😉 well when we don't break it. The M111 such a underrated engine so capable and a good serviced one will see you well past 200k miles
They're kind of addictive! Bought mine as a really cheap runaround while my S2000 was having some mods done, but sold the Honda as the Merc just gave me so much more satisfaction at a fraction of the cost! Who'd of thought :)

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
170 Posts
Nice I've never had the chance to drive a s2000 what engine is in then is it F20c? Not a bad car though from what I've seen but the short wheel base of the slk adds a lot to its character the suspension set up works great I definitely rate them over a MX5/Miata I have driven one of them the only thing ide like to really not have traction control make it a real drivers car 🤣 it's never fully off unless you pull the fuse

·
* Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice I've never had the chance to drive a s2000 what engine is in then is it F20c? Not a bad car though from what I've seen but the short wheel base of the slk adds a lot to its character the suspension set up works great I definitely rate them over a MX5/Miata I have driven one of them the only thing ide like to really not have traction control make it a real drivers car 🤣 it's never fully off unless you pull the fuse
Or drive in the snow ! :D

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
170 Posts
Or drive in the snow ! :D
True as I found out in my Clk when I bounced it off the tail lift of a van in the snow 🤣 broke my heart yet when we had that real bad snow couple or three years back I was plowing the roads with my lowered w210 e430 drifted everywhere never hit a blooming thing 😂

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
130 Posts
]actually I managed to send mine into the bumper here through that spot yur thinking of.

the 2 aluminum alloy pieces are actually for a subaru WRX, and I used the presumed MAF location for a catch can, I needed 1 more piece of cut aluminum straight Alloy pipe to add from where it goes past the headlight because theres all this annoying metal under there. difficult to sawsall too. you will manage though. Hey I enjoy it and I hear way more induction, sounds pretty badass if you ask me. to each their own, I'm going to try one of those Foam Filters to see if the sound is quieter with the supercharger or not. Aluminum Alloy 3In OD Humped pipes off amazon are super cheap pal, you can order a cheap CAI kit cut and use couplers. (should be good with 2 or 3 after the 145 degree bend you'll need also that will have to go from like 2.5 to 3 od. It's not bad though just my Mental health limits a lot of progress. but as for you you should be all set! looking forward to see what yours looks like. its snowing today so if you want I can pop bumper off and post a pic of what it looks like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts