Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving on the highway yesterday and I was crusin along at about 75mph or so. Out of nowhere I heard this really loud engine almost like a high powered sport bike come flying up and passed me like I was going backwards. It was a new Lotus. That car is small, but man I had no idea how fast they were. I looked at the specs and they have only 180 hp or so, with 160 lb ft of torque, but they run 0-60mph in about 4.1 seconds and 0-100 in about 10.5 seconds. I was totally unaware that those cars were so fast. I guess the car is very light, because I cant think of any other way that a Lotus that is similar in size to our SLK's can be so much fast from 0-60 with over 100hp LESS than our cars... Can anyone else explain? And if you want to check out the cars click the link below and click the "models" tab on the top left. Then scroll down and look towards the bottom right to see all the specs.

http://www.lotuscars.com/exige_s220.html
http://www.lotuscars.com/exige_s240.html <--- 0-60 in 4.0 sec and 0-100 in 10 sec flat!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wouldn't say a Lotus is a real car...meaning that you probably couldn't use it as your only car to commute to work everyday. It's way too minimal.

So, as a fast toy it works, but is designed for a different purpose than the SLK.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'd agree, fantastic track fun and riot in the twisties but similar to a sports bike for practicalities. no aircon or suspension and bloody rattly. Then again nothing like that to put a smile on your face on the way on to work.. buy the misses an estate to do the tesco run. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Its a fun car allright and the new one's come with creature comforts such as aircondition and radio if memory serves me right.

What is interesting about this car that it shares a Toyota celica engine, previously I was thinking of acquiring one from America and bring it over here but I thought to my self about the parts I need to order such as brakes and other components and really I am not that bothered since there is no dealership for it over here.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you think an Exige is minimalist, check out the Lotus 7 - my bike has far more creature comforts!! Here are some piccies and video I took at the Lotus 7 50th birthday party last year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love the lotus. it's so much more rare (in where i live since i see quite a few slk everyday) and looks unique. performance wise is impressive too, but when i bought my slk the lotus weren't available locally yet or else i might have got that but i guess it's still not a bad choice made since i really dunno if the lotus can be as comfortable. but it would be a fun and perfect weekend car with 2 seater convertible or mod-able / track car. it also come with stunning colors =D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts