Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A long update.
I got the car delivered to my house 2020-01-09 and so far I have taken care of the following.
My first issue was that the wintertires didn´t fit the car, 18" amg rims with the wrong et.
So I ordered new wintertires for the original 16" rims and also a new set of 17" rims with summertires.

I didn´t like the grille so I ordered a new one.

The headlamps were in bad shape and the left indicator had the glass glued into place, but it fell of.
The vaccum connector on the left lamp was broken of, so both lights pointed straight down.
So I ordered new headlamps with included indicators.

The brackets for the radiator was broken so the radiator was leaning against the engine, so I manufactured new brackets.

The hood damper was worn out, so I have replaced it.

The lights in the center console didn´t work, so I took it apart and repaired it.

The radio wasn´t working, so I replaced it.

The battery bracket was damaged so the battery didn´t stay in place, I had to make a new one

ABS and ESP didn´t work, so that needed some repairs.

The interior fan had it´s own mind about the rpm, so I replaced the regulator, and changed the filter at the same time.

The bolts on the left rear wheel had damaged threads so I had to replace the hubs on both sides.
And at the same time I replaced the bearrings, handbrakepads, brakepads and brake discs.

I got hit in the back of my head a couple of times when I was looking into the trunk, so I replaced both dampers to the trunk.

The steering feels unstable so I have ordered all the bushings to the front, and new steering linkage.
They should arrive this week so that I can replace them this weekend.

Now I´m down to the interior light.
The wiring seems clean and there is no corrosion inside the contacts at PSE, so the problem should be at the PCB.
I only have about 1 hour daylight after work and it´s winter here, and the car in standing outside, so I will wait until friday and try to resolder all of the pins.

I have found and got lot of valuable information from this place so you all are the best..

I think I know why this car was cheaper then the other one I was looking at :)
But I love the car and it´s so fun to drive... and I´m almost done with the issues.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I give up now.
I have removed the PSE from the car for the third time, and cleaned and measured every pin.
The pcb are clean, the pins are clean,the connectors and wiring are clean.
The interior lights still doesn´t work.
But I got a notification that my parts for the front (bushings and steering linkage) will arrive tomorrow or on Friday, so I will take care of that this weekend (if the snow melts away from the car) and leave the problem with the interior lights to the summer.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230K
55 Posts
Just a quick question.
What position is the dome light switch in? I believe in mine
Left = Off
Centre = Doors/Boot
Right = On
Does the boot light come on when it is opened?

Cheers
Jay

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just a quick question.
What position is the dome light switch in? I believe in mine
Left = Off
Centre = Doors/Boot
Right = On
Does the boot light come on when it is opened?

Cheers
Jay
Hi.
I don´t have a centre position.
Left is off.
Right is on.
Then I have an other button where I can turn it on.

I was looking for pictures of how it looks, and they all have a grid that I suppose is for the microphone, but I don´t have that either.
Could it been replaced by a previous owner to some part that isn´t compatible with my car??

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
123 Posts
Hi Petri68,
Just a comment, when I removed my N10-3 module my dome lamp didn't work until I re-installed it.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Hi.
I don´t have a centre position.
Left is off.
Right is on.
Then I have an other button where I can turn it on.

I was looking for pictures of how it looks, and they all have a grid that I suppose is for the microphone, but I don´t have that either.
Could it been replaced by a previous owner to some part that isn´t compatible with my car??
If you take a look at the thread I mentioned in post #8 you will see phots of my dome lamp in vaious stages of disassembly. That may help you compare your lamp with the 'usual' one.

Hope it helps

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If you take a look at the thread I mentioned in post #8 you will see phots of my dome lamp in vaious stages of disassembly. That may help you compare your lamp with the 'usual' one.

Hope it helps
Thanks, mine looks exactly like that.

I´,home a little bit earlier than usual so I will take a look at my trunk light instead.
That one isn´t working either ..

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have recently bought my self a SLK 320 2001, and I got it very cheap because of all the problems with the car.
I´m working with it when I can after work, But it´s outside and it´s cold and dark here in Sweden right now..

All the major faults are now fixed so I´m into the minor problems now.
Any help for where I should start on each problem is helpful.

1. The interior lights and the trunk lights doesn´t come on when I open the doors or the trunk.
The interior lights works if I move the switch to "on" instead of the "door"

2. The fan inside have it´s own mind about the rpm, I can set the control between 0-5 but if I for an example have it on 3 the fan rpm is going up and down, and if I change it from 3 to 5 it could take some time before anything happens, and then it goes up in rpm and starts to pendulate again.
Same if I take it down to 1, it takes a little bit of time, the rpm drops, and then it starts to pendulate.

I´m sorry if my spelling isn´t correct and if I´m using the wrong terms, but I hope that you will understand anyway.

Brgds Petri
I have the same car and could have wrote what you said. I live in Eugene Oregon It's a good thing I like working on her because she is definitely high maintenance. Every time the last hick up is cured a new on starts.Love is keeping your tools close.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited by Moderator)
I used the car today, and it is so fun to drive, even if it was just 3 degrees celsius outside
It have been a little unstable in high speed, so I ordered all the bushings for the front, and the tie end rod for the steering.
Today I received att the bushings and the ball joints??
Well, xxxx happens, but I found a place near that had the tie end rods so I will buy them tomorrow.
And I have also ordered new shock absorbers and springs for the front and rear and they should arrive on wednesday.
I think my weekend is saved :)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I apologize to everyone that was offended for me using the wrong word.
I thought that it was a normal expression when something went wrong, but it wasn´t meant to offend anyone.

I´m leaving this forum now, but I´m very grateful for all the help I got.
All of you..you are the best.
Take care of your SLK´s and enjoy that spring is close...

Brgds Petri

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have been working on my car for a while now, mostly because of the unreliable steering, It was difficult to keep a straight line in high speed.
have replaced all the bushings in the front, new ball joints, new tie end rods, new shook absorbers and new springs.
I found out that I had some bad bushing in the rear axel asweel, but new ones should arrive tomorrow.

But I have another small issue with the car, or not with the car, more with my opinion.
The car is too low in the front, I would like to raise it about 10-15 mm in the front to get a better symmetry.
Is it possible to use 10 mm spacers on top of the springs and shock absorbers to achieve this?

Brgds Petri

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
How can you offend anyone on a forum?
That is personal, that is history, So no comments.

My question was about the car, has anyone tried any successful solution to get the car 10-15 mm higher in the front.
I have some ideas that I will try, but it´s a waste of time if someone already tried spacers for the springs and absorbers.

Brgds Petri

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
217 Posts
That is personal, that is history, So no comments.

My question was about the car, has anyone tried any successful solution to get the car 10-15 mm higher in the front.
I have some ideas that I will try, but it´s a waste of time if someone already tried spacers for the springs and absorbers.

Brgds Petri
Have you checked the actual height against specificatio?

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Hi,

If you really want to go up by around 10 to 15mm I think that CLK55 / CLK500 Springs is the way forward. I don't think you will get enough on the Rubber seats by going up a size ;)

I know what you mean, my car looks like it is sitting low at the front, but it isn't, however it will sit a little lower still shortly when the V8 goes in, and @Turdo2 said a while back that CLK V8 Springs sorted his one out, I am assuming similar model year circa 2000 - 2001 ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks all..
I was out measuring the car and from the ground up to the fender I got 615 mm in the front and 625 mm at the back.
I like the way it looks in the back, but not in the front.
I have to check what kind of pads I´ve got today, It´s was dark when I worked with the car and I didn´t even know that there was different pads..

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
chances are that yours already has #4's already so adding a #5 pad wont add much height.
+1

That was exactly what I found with my Car ;)

@Turdo2 .... What model year CLK did your springs come from please ?

I was out measuring the car and from the ground up to the fender I got 615 mm in the front and 625 mm at the back.
Your Car looks exactly like mine does height wise ;)
I have driven mine through twisties at ridiculous speeds and it handles spot on, very predictable. I think I would avoid messing with it, if you raise the ride height you will likely induce a little more understeer ;)

HTH,

41 - 60 of 98 Posts