Mercedes SLK World banner

221 - 240 of 279 Posts

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,593 Posts
Or Mid Engine (Bore / Rings), depending exactly how much Oil needed to be added in how many Miles :cry:

Of course it would certainly pay to yank the Cam Covers off first, if the Breathers are like the ones @M4rCu5 and I bought off EBay for our projects, then that too would make it drink olio ;)

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,787 Posts
Of course it would certainly pay to yank the Cam Covers off first, if the Breathers are like the ones @M4rCu5 and I bought off EBay for our projects, then that too would make it drink olio ;)
Good point (y)

Id never have believed that they'd only be pin holes on the insides of those covers if i hadnt seen them for myself o_O

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Yesterday i got the misfire in cyl 2 and 4..
Today im on my way home.
After 150 km i got error codes för cyl 1 and 5.
Removed them and continued.
100 km låter it was cyl 3.
I started to think that this was related to the fuel.
50 km left before im home something broke.. left a ton of smoke behind me and the engine sounds terrible.
So im sittning beside the road crying and waiting for a transport to pick the car up... 😭😭😭

·
2,593 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this :(

The very first thing to do, take one plug out of each cylinder and do a compression test when you get it home, no point trying to flog a dead horse ;)

A motor swap isn't too bad a job ;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
I´m home now and I´m not in a very good mood.
I have been deeply depressed for many years and this car was the first thing that was able to put a smile on my face for at least 10 years. (except for my sons, but they have moved out a couple of years ago)
I have already put all my savings into this car, so at the moment I cant even afford 1 new sparkplug.

But while I was waiting I started to look closer at the engine.
Oil and water looks good and are at normal level, doesn´t leek anywhere outside.
All hoses are in place.
No error codes.
She starts up at an even idle at about 700 rpm when you crank her, with no smoke, but sounds terrible, so I just tried that for a couple of seconds.

Next thing I was planning to do is to remove the valve covers and see whats it looks like, and remove the sparkplugs and use my camera so look inside the cylinders. It´s so small so it fits through the holes for the plugs.

I wont give up now so maybe I will be back on the roads again sometime during 2021.
But today I´m going to be very tipsy and start with this tomorrow when I wake up.

I WILL be back.. some day

·
2,593 Posts
Chin up enjoy a good dram or two, or 10 lol ......................

Remember what I always tell folks, (and it's true), there is no such thing as a Car that cannot be fixed ;)

PLEASE ...................

Do a compression test first before stripping anything else ;)

We are all here to help you ;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Chin up enjoy a good dram or two, or 10 lol ......................

Remember what I always tell folks, (and it's true), there is no such thing as a Car that cannot be fixed ;)

PLEASE ...................

Do a compression test first before stripping anything else ;)

We are all here to help you ;)
I´m out of wine now so I´m heading for the beer now.

@Dave2302 I´m in a Swedish FB group about R170 and they know about you.
You are famues :)
The problem is that I cant afford any repairs and the sound the engine is giving out makes me feel that I should not crank the engine again before I have looked inside the cylinders or looked under the valve covers.
Compression test.. that is a yes, first thing after I have checked that all the valves are in place.

·
1,787 Posts
Hi @Petri68

You said a month ago that you were getting new plugs, can you just clarify if you installed them or not and if so, did this misfire issue happen before or after changing them? Oh and what brand etc.? .. no reason, just for clarification

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Hi @Petri68

You said a month ago that you were getting new plugs, can you just clarify if you installed them or not and if so, did this misfire issue happen before or after changing them? Oh and what brand etc.? .. no reason, just for clarification
Yes, she got new iridium plugs then and I had no problems at all after the Italian tune-up at almost the same time.
She also got fully synthetic 0w-40 oil and filter, and new filters for air.
She has been running beautifully since then.
These problem showed up after refueling yesterday, not before

·
2,593 Posts
It's not a case of Mis-Fuelling is it ??????????????

I wouldn't normally admit this, but I did it on our C Class a few years ago, put Petrol in it instead of Diesel :eek:

Thankfully I realised long before it was full and the filling station is 100 yards from my house, so I brimmed it with Diesel, drove it home the 100 yards and drained it, stuck 5 gallon of Diesel in plus a litre of 2 stroke oil, then up the filling station again and filled right up with Diesel, Car was fine ;) ......................

Now even if you are convinced that you used the Petrol Pump, it doesn't mean that the Fuel in the filling station you used is not contaminated, Fuel Tanker Drivers have been known to make errors ;)

Use your Facebook to see if any "friends" have heard of another case of Engine issues after filling at that filling station ................
If so document them, you may be able to claim and get repairs paid for by filling station;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
It's not a case of Mis fuelling is it, I wouldn't normally admit this, but I did it on our C Class a few years ago, put Petrol in it instead of Diesel :eek:

Thankfully I realised and the Petrol station is 100 yards from my house, so I brimmed it with Diesel, drove it home the 100 yards and drained it, stuck 5 gallon of Diesel in plus a litre of 2 stroke oil, then up the Garage again and filled right up with Diesel, Car was fine ;) ......................

Now even if you are convinced that you used the Petrol Pump, it doesn't mean that the Fuel in the Filling Station you used is not contaminated, Fuel Tanker Drivers have been known to make errors ;)
I have the receipt in front of me. Pump #4
51,61 liters of unleaded 98.

I have been close to make that mistake earlier since my other car is a diesel, and that one almost got petrol instead :)
But I noticed that before I started to fill her up...

I have removed the sparkplugs, or 1 from each cylinder and they dont look the way I was expecting.
Now I´m waiting for my son to bring his laptop over so that I can look inside the cylinders before I make a new compressiontest.
But my neighbor who has that equipment wasn´t home so I will go over a little bit later and see if he is home again.

·
2,593 Posts
Great to hear, get back on that horse, lets hope it something simple ;)

Keep us updated, hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds 🙏

If it makes you feel any better, I put a dent in our new E Class estate yesterday ...................... Gutted, haven't had the bloomin Car 3 days yet 😭 😭 😭

It was pouring hard with rain, so I had it in my Garage doing some cosmetic add ons, finished and reversed out as it was getting dusk, it's a fair bit longer than my S Class and SLK who normally live in the garage .....................
The mirrors and rear windows were covered in rain drops, I just kissed our wooden post box, which sticks out from the Gate Post by a few inches ...............................

Thankfully it is not too obviously visible and hasn't broken the Paint, but this Car was mint, and I know it's there, right above the rear light on the rear 1/4 panel :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm gonna see if a PDR guy can get it out I really don't want to have to have a body shop do it, I know they won't match it perfectly :mad:

I am beginning to think that this new Car may be unlucky, I got nicked for speeding 3 hours after I got it on the journey home, so yeah, like yourself I'm getting some :poop: right now too :(

HTH,

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Great to hear, get back on that horse, lets hope it something simple ;)

Keep us updated, hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds 🙏

If it makes you feel any better, I put a dent in our new E Class estate yesterday ...................... Gutted, haven't had the bloomin Car 3 days yet 😭 😭 😭

It was pouring hard with rain, so I had it in my Garage doing some cosmetic add ons, finished and reversed out as it was getting dusk, it's a fair bit longer than my S Class and SLK who normally live in the garage .....................
The mirrors and rear windows were covered in rain drops, I just kissed our wooden post box, which sticks out from the Gate Post by a few inches ...............................

Thankfully it is not too obviously visible and hasn't broken the Paint, but this Car was mint, and I know it's there, right above the rear light on the rear 1/4 panel :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm gonna see if a PDR guy can get it out I really don't want to have to have a body shop do it, I know they won't match it perfectly :mad:

I am beginning to think that this new Car may be unlucky, I got nicked for speeding 3 hours after I got it on the journey home, so yeah, like yourself I'm getting some :poop: right now too :(

HTH,
I have a stupid question for you.

Last time I did a compression test everything was in place, but now my ignition coils are removed.
Could that case any problems doing a compression test when they are not connected?
I don´t want any more errors since I don´t have SDS yet.

Yes, the car will be back on the roads again.
I´m taking it out of traffic now, so I will get some refund for the roadtaxes.
And I´m also getting some refund for my income-taxes in a couple of weeks.

Those were ment to finnish tiling my bathroom upstairs, but I got a sauna and shower downstairs so that has to wait for some other day.
I live alone so I actually don´t need the bathroom upstairs at the moment.

Get a smile back on my face is more important...

·
1,787 Posts
Lol .. its only 6 screws, drop em back on just to be safe 🙃

Told you those plugs were wet, summat not right at all there ..

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Lol .. its only 6 screws, drop em back on just to be safe 🙃

Told you those plugs were wet, summat not right at all there ..
Yes, something is wrong, but I have a hard time believing that it should be the head gasket.
If it was on 1 side, then yes, but both sides at the same time... :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Let see what the cylinders look like inside and what the compression test after that reveals.🧐

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
I have been out now and have taken pictures of all the pistons, no damage on them so that means that there hasen´t been any interference between the pistons and valves.
They are very wet and looks like they are covered in oil, but I haven´t lost any oil.

Compression test with an other equipment then before revealed that Cyl 1 is the problem, I don´t know if I should trust the previous one or this one since the compression should be 10:1 according to my knowledge.

Cyl 1 - 9,5 bar
Cyl 2 - 13 bar
Cyl 3 - 13 bar
Cyl 4 - 13 bar
Cyl 5 - 13 bar
Cyl 6 - 13 bar

·
2,593 Posts
OK, so cyl 1 is low, the rest are even, could be a lot of reasons for that ..........................

Ignore that for the moment, what are the indises of the Cam Covers like, are they all crudded up ?

What about brake Fluid, have you lost any of that ?

Coolant any loss ?

Lets answer those then carry on ;)

221 - 240 of 279 Posts